• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What do you use to clean lead from your barrel or chokes?

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I have a ton of lead build up on my Trulock Tactical Choke and I was wondering what people to use to clean their guns?

Re: What do you use to clean lead from your barrel or chokes

I've used Hoppe's and lots of elbow grease in the past...and depending on the size / shape of the part to be cleaned...even let it sit in solution for an amount of time.

But after reading this article...well, you decide !!

http://www.gunreports.com/special_repor ... 189-1.html

A good Kroil soaking and then copper Chore Boy scrubbing pads.

I used to see some sort of Lead-Away cloth that had a real thick tacky feel and it rubbed lead off of cylinder faces in seconds but it would also take off bluing so it warned to only use on stainless guns.

^ I love those lead remover cloths on my stainless wheelguns. They are about the only thing I have used that'll return the cylinder face to showroom clean. I just can't tolerate a dirty gun.

For barrel fouling I use a lot of Birchwood Casey 'Bore Scrubber'. It's always worked well for me...

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Mainten ... 146cc4f03c

Eezox on a patch wrapped around a wire brush.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

You can try this first:

Deep Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel

How to polish shotgun barrel

I use the copper and steel pot scrubbers from a big box or grocery store, wrapped on a 20ga bore brush in a 12ga, 410 in a 20, and so on chucked up in a drill motor. I had a barrel I bought so caked with lead from shooting rifled slugs, the barrel actually looked rifled. I used the above method for cleaning and then polishing. It is now very easy to clean and patterns slightly better.

A Hoppes Tornado bore brush on a shotgun cleaning rod and work it back and forth by hand will work but it takes forever.

I'm with frogfish I use hoppes #9 everytime I shoot. clean the bore first with choke tubes in then clean with the tubes removed, clean tubes by themselves and then put a little oil on the threads and put them back in. Everytime I use it

Back