• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the value of a Mossberg 500 Tactical?

Andras Nagy

Copper BB
It is a couple years old, no choke, no frills, bead sight. I think I have paid 295$ plus tax but now I see the price higher. Could this be true?

1009557_10204946391031985_1392634273818632775_o.jpg

10835114_10204946391071986_5558566101388023810_o.jpg

Serial no. T588xxxxx
I posted it for $165. But now having second thoughts...it is no more than 2-years old..used a little for skeet and target (with slugs)
I had lots of interest at $165..but in CA private transfer is very much red tape...I just bought a recoil dampener, so I will keep it a little more.

Last edited:
Serial no. T588xxxxx
I posted it for $165. But now having second thoughts...it is no more than 2-years old..used a little for skeet and target (with slugs)
I had lots of interest at $165..but in CA private transfer is very much red tape...I just bought a recoil dampener, so I will keep it a little more.

Would you have a date to go with that serial number?

That would be a $225 gun around here, assuming very good condition. Keep in mind you can buy a NEW Mav88 8-shot at that price. But some would rather have a used 500 for the same money. In "like new" condition with box you could easily fetch $250. Many "kitchen table dealers" have used guns like yours for $300 even though new is $300--that I do not understand... :rolleyes:

$165 is far too cheap for that gun. That would be what one could expect to pay for a 20-30yo 500 with a lot of wear and blemishes but still functional.

^ Agreed.

I rarely see used 500's around these parts at all, but when one pops up it's usually tagged at around $250-$300...

What is the diff. between Persuader and tactical?

I found out the difference...it is 8-shots pump action (Persuader) versus 6-shots (Tactical, in some cases)

Mossberg has two basic classifications in their 500 "Special Purpose" line. These are the Persuader and the Cruiser. If it has a stock it's a persuader and the PGO, pistol grip only, models are called cruisers. Either can come in 8-shot and 6-shot configurations.

Persuader 8-shot

Persuader 6-shot

Cruiser 8-shot

Cruiser 6-shot

Mossberg begins to call both their persuaders and cruisers "Tactical" when they add accessories that they feel present a tactical advantage such as their 6-position adjustable stock, tri-rail forends for adding lights, center mass lasers, lighted forends, ghost rings sights, and breacher barrels. The models become a "tactical" persuader or "tactical" cruiser. Here are a few examples...

Tactical Persuader...

Tactical Cruiser...

Some of their tactical models get special names like the "Chainsaw", "Road Blocker", and "Rolling Thunder". Others are sold under specialized sub-categories like the Blackwater or ZMB lines.

When it's all said and done there are no real differences in operation between any of the 500 models. How Mossberg classifies them has everything to do with particular configurations, features, and accessories...

+1 on what LES said... I think differences in finish work here, too. IE: matte vs glossy blued finish...

PS: and note that some bolts are black oxide vs "shiny". I think parkerizing is rare for a civvie 500...

This happens to be my favorite Mossy. Near $300 sounds about right for retail. I've seen some try to get as much as $500 for new but not in the box.

Here's the thing, I value the older ones higher than the new simply because of the action slide tube if the new ones have gone to the new style with the pinned action bars.

My 20" cylinder bore gun patterns better than the 28" Winchester 1300 Ranger with modified choke I have on loan.

What LES said is true, and the classic Persuader seems to be becoming rarer as "tactical" has become more and more popular. Well tactical and zombies.

I think they hold their value, especially to those who know the differences and see past the accessories. The 500 Persuader with a bead sight doesn't look like much, but there's nothing about them that has to be modified to make them good shooters out of the box.

I've tried a number of modifications to appearance and ergonomics and by far the best mod has been Hogue stocks and forends.

Back