• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What laser are you using?

Looking to see who is using what and if they're happy with it.
Currently have Laserlyte Center Mass Laser, CM-MK4 on my 20 gauge. Not real happy with it.
The pattern out at 25 yards is huge.
Would like to find one that shows a bright center spot at that range.
Is their any difference in power between red & green? Some say green is more visible in daylight.
I see different companies show power in different terms.

U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our 2nd Amendment
Evil Cannot Be Stopped By Regulations

Pegleg, several of us are trying to work through this subject. So far we haven't had any luck. Why not help us find the best one, but don't buy anything until you check with the forum, so we can tell you if it has already been tried. I think it is safe to eliminate the TruGlo Micro and the Bull Dot. They all work in the dark, but some of us are wanting a laser to use in the daylight.

Crimson Trace Rail Master - Green
Extremely visible.
Used a Sitelite Laser Boresighter to center at 35 feet. Figured that would be close enough for most things.

Pegleg, several of us are trying to work through this subject. So far we haven't had any luck. Why not help us find the best one, but don't buy anything until you check with the forum, so we can tell you if it has already been tried. I think it is safe to eliminate the TruGlo Micro and the Bull Dot. They all work in the dark, but some of us are wanting a laser to use in the daylight.
Cool. Manufacturers specs aren't much help. Just read in-depth piece on how laser specs can be written and it's up to each how they want to spec-out their device.
My Laserlyte is fine for in the house at 30-40 feet but just doesn't cut it outside. Even on an ovcst day outside it sucked at 25 yards.

U.S. Navy Retired

Crimson Trace Rail Master - Green
Extremely visible.
Used a Sitelite Laser Boresighter to center at 35 feet. Figured that would be close enough for most things.
Under what conditions outside have you tested under?

U.S. Navy Retired

Under what conditions outside have you tested under?

U.S. Navy Retired

Of course inside with all lights on.
Outside, daylight, could easily see light on a house about 200 meters away.
Just went outside this evening. 35 degrees, light fog, bounced the light off a water tower 1/2 mile away.
If you haven't experienced a green laser, this is my second, you are in for a nice surprise.
They blow away red lasers and will be the only kind I ever get in the future. I would only purchase a well respected brand though.

Of course, the drawback is that they draw much more power and I will be replacing batteries more frequently. At $1 apiece, that isn't too bad for about a 2 hour run time. I tend to change batteries in all my scopes and lasers about every two months, just to make sure I have fresh ones. I find that some scopes and laser have a trickle vampire circuits that will slowly drain a battery over time. It's best to be safe.

Just went outside this evening. 35 degrees, light fog, bounced the light off a water tower 1/2 mile away.
If you haven't experienced a green laser, this is my second, you are in for a nice surprise.
They blow away red lasers and will be the only kind I ever get in the future. I would only purchase a well respected brand though.

Of course, the drawback is that they draw much more power and I will be replacing batteries more frequently. At $1 apiece, that isn't too bad for about a 2 hour run time. I tend to change batteries in all my scopes and lasers about every two months, just to make sure I have fresh ones. I find that some scopes and laser have a trickle vampire circuits that will slowly drain a battery over time. It's best to be safe.
Thanks for the follow-up! Seems pretty impressive.

U.S. Navy Retired

Sportsman's Guide appears to specialize in cheapo lasers that probably aren't going to last on any weapon. At $26.99 what do you expect?

U.S. Navy Retired

What laser is this?

Perhaps some folks have not had the opportunity to observe a green laser.
I have a handheld one that I use at night as a pointer for star gazing.
In the daylight, depending on how reflective the surface is, green laser is very visible. If there is any haze at all, you can observe the actual beam.
Bottom line is that it is, for me, far more visible than a red laser.
Your experiences/mileage may vary.

I'm not doubting that green is more visible. Apparently are eyes see green better than we see red. This assuming both are the same power rating.
It's difficult for me to comprehend a weapons laser, under the restricted power ratings, is visible for accurate sighting, on a target 200 yards away.
Maybe I just have to be shown proof.

U.S. Navy Retired

You just added additional restrictions.
It is visible under the right conditions and reflectivity of the object.
A laser, to my knowledge, has never been designed for distance targeting unless to paint a target for aerial attack.

I just found this statement on a review of lasers:
"The number one reason to use a green laser is daytime visibility. You will have a much easier time seeing a green laser in broad daylight than red. Green is close to the center of the visible light spectrum at about 532 Nanometers. Red is higher on the spectrum at 635 Nanometers. Because of this, a red light will be obscured by other light, whereas a green will not. While a red laser may only be visible up to 25 or 30 yards during the day, a green laser can be visible at 100 yards or more."

I was merely remarking that it was visible to me.
With my old eyes, I need every advantage, even for close work.
This Shockwave has become one of my home defense tools.
It seems that front sights become more blurry every year. :)

By the way. I am also former military.
Army Helicopter pilot, Viet Nam Veteran

All the best to you.

Last edited:
A laser, to my knowledge, has never been designed for distance targeting unless to paint a target for aerial attack.

All the best to you.

Merry Christmas. It is not your eyes, your arms are shrinking. I have the same problem.

I just found this statement on a review of lasers:
"The number one reason to use a green laser is daytime visibility. You will have a much easier time seeing a green laser in broad daylight than red. Green is close to the center of the visible light spectrum at about 532 Nanometers. Red is higher on the spectrum at 635 Nanometers. Because of this, a red light will be obscured by other light, whereas a green will not. While a red laser may only be visible up to 25 or 30 yards during the day, a green laser can be visible at 100 yards or more."

All the best to you.
Not sure what additional restrictions have been added????
We're talking in daylight on a weapon, simple criteria.
Can you take a pic of the beam showing up on a target 200 yards away on daylight? Set your SW up on a table or stand and take a pic from behind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ok. I give up. Please forget what I said.
I am really sorry I brought it up. I thought I was helping.
I just happen to really like my Crimson Trace Lasers on all my guns that they are set up on. Pistols, rifles and now Shockwave.
They make quality products. Everyone can make up there own minds on whether to get one.
I wish every one a Happy New Year!

Back