• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What laser are you using?

Pencil thin beam of hot white light will work under most situations inside and outside, and in all but the brightest situations.

I prefer the "Alan Parsons Project Laser"

Actually, I have a LG-448 Laserguard for my XDM but I took it off. The nylon holster I used with it would allow the XDM to slide down and activate the laser, killing the batteries.

What is the goal of using the laser? Is it to align it with point of impact at a given distance? And we’re talking about use on a shotgun, yes?

Bear with me, I’m trying to grasp what we’re trying to achieve with the laser on a shotgun especially given we’re talking about 200 yard visible light during day time hours.

What is the goal of using the laser? Is it to align it with point of impact at a given distance? And we’re talking about use on a shotgun, yes?

Bear with me, I’m trying to grasp what we’re trying to achieve with the laser on a shotgun especially given we’re talking about 200 yard visible light during day time hours.
I want a laser to assist with aiming. I need it to be bright, not for distance, but because I want to be able to practice regardless of whether it's cloudy or full sunlight. I need to drive an hour or so into the National Forest where I can set up targets (the spot I use gives me about 80° of arc) and if I can't see the dot because the sun is out then it's a waste of a training day.

I want a laser to assist with aiming. I need it to be bright, not for distance, but because I want to be able to practice regardless of whether it's cloudy or full sunlight. I need to drive an hour or so into the National Forest where I can set up targets (the spot I use gives me about 80° of arc) and if I can't see the dot because the sun is out then it's a waste of a training day.

I understand, and I take for granted that some are restricted in their ability or availability to practice.

Has anyone tried aiming down the sights with the shockwave? I ask because I’ve been in a similar situation with other firearms where I’m using a light as an aid. I know my sight picture and I know point of aim vs point of impact. So when I’m not actually able to shoot, I can still look down the sights and at a given distance I can adjust the mount so the light actually illuminates what I need to hit.

In my case, it’s a red LED light on my 835. I have 3 dot fiber optic rifle styled sights and I use it at night with 3” magnum predator loads. My goal is 40 yard accuracy at night which for me means a majority of pellets in a 10” circle ⭕️. That’s reasonably precise for a shotgun. In fact, at closer distances like inside 20 yards, it’s incredibly possible to miss altogether if I’m not holding my sight picture correctly. So I practice during the day most commonly. At night, I can mess with my mount while the gun is rested.

I know that my light isn’t the same as a laser. I use the same light at 100 yards and beyond and that won’t be the case with a shotgun. I’m also not making a snap shot and it sounds like that may be the goal with a laser. To put it on target and pull the trigger?

Also, how much consideration has gone in to ammo selection? The spread certainly has to be a part of the decision making process I’d think.

... snap shot .. sounds like that may be the goal with a laser. To put it on target and pull the trigger?
That's the goal for me, to be able to hit a target without the need to get the gun to eye level. Sometimes eye level isn't an option, especially inside a house. The laser just offers some precision and allows that precision from almost any shooting position, around a barricade or wall for example.

On my first outing with the Shockwave I was able to hit a tree stump from 10 feet or so from the hip easily. My hope is that with enough practice using the laser, I can hit a target reliably without the laser, by learning the muscle memory. That's why I'm not spending several hundred dollars on a Dbal or similar.

I prefer the "Alan Parsons Project Laser"

Actually, I have a LG-448 Laserguard for my XDM but I took it off. The nylon holster I used with it would allow the XDM to slide down and activate the laser, killing the batteries.
I like their music!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Like MAINSAIL said:
That's the goal for me, to be able to hit a target without the need to get the gun to eye level. Sometimes eye level isn't an option, especially inside a house.

Outside I want to be able to shoot slugs at 25yards.

My Laserlyte Center Mass is fine in the house.
But outside it sucks. Took it to the range yesterday. Ovrcst day, light snow flurries, 1500 so light is fading fast here at the higher latitudes.
Shot at 30 feet and 15 yards. Could barely see the center dot.

Another interesting point...initially used DOE target, green silhouette on biege background.
When the dot was moved from the background to the silhouette the red dot faded almost to nothing. So the green just about absorbed the red. On a white silhouette the red was more visible. Not sure how this would work on someone wearing a green garment. Just an observation.

Definitely going to get a green laser once I can figure out which seems to perform best.

I will never say that a laser is a poor choice to help someone aim if that's really what you want. It will serve that purpose.

I tend to prefer a weapon light more than a laser.

A light will give you better ability to ID a target at night, whether they are an armed threat, and within HD distances, will still be close enough to the bore to give you an idea of spread at whatever distance you are away. If it's lit, it's hit.

Weapon lights and lasers both have their limitations, and similar tactics involved in their use.

They both can be a beacon to the bad guy to pin point back to your position, and should be used sparingly. Especially if weapon fire has already taken place because the gunsmoke will act the same as fog indoors where lights and lasers are concerned.

It is not unheard of for enough smoke to be generated from a single rifle to set off the nearest smoke detector.

At that point, identifying a threat has already been established and locating all of them (especially if multiples) is far more of a priority.

And like has been pointed out, a good weapon light beam in close quarters will still be tight enough to use for aiming like a laser, but will allow you to actually see what you're targeting, rather than simply the direction your shot is going to go.

I agree with you John. However, my intent with a laser is for day time, quick acquisition hip shots on snakes. Reckon I don't fit the normal laser buyer. I have a light on my Glock 30S which is my #1 go to at night, and like you said, if it's lit, it's hit. I proved that one night with an armadillo in the yard.

From what I have heard, the shockwave is harder to accurately aim.

And for that, I completely understand the need for an alternative means of aiming the gun.

As you said, a light would stink for daytime targeting and the laser would work day and night.

Though at night, hands down, I will always say a light is the better alternative.

I wish that everyone could shoot their gun at night, in near total darkness to see just how difficult and different that it is than shooting during the day. I believe a lot of people have misconceptions about it.

Joining in on this thread because I'm a little confused with regard to the use of a laser on a Shockwave. If it's simply for training or "fun" target shooting that's one thing but let's think for a minute about a couple of scenarios where a Shockwave might be used in threat situations.

First is facility defense or facility cllearing. The size of a Shockwave lends itself to clearing a facility. Is it better than a pistol, maybe yes or maybe no. Is it better than a shoulder fired shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel, maybe yes or maybe no. However, in clearing a facility (one of the last things you really ever want to do) you must maintain positive recognition of your surroundings at all times. Judicially using a flashlight, using a momentary off and on technique, allows positive identification of either a friendly or a foe. From both a legal and moral point of view you better have positive recognition of a threat before firing. I do not know how you can accomplish this positive recognition with a laser.

For me, the Shockwave is best suited as a work or field gun to be used against outdoor threats like bears, mountain lions or coyotes as examples. It's an excellent companion for fishing, for hiking, or for working everyday in areas containing potential wildlife threats. However, in an encounter with a bear or mountain lion you will likely have only 2 to 5 seconds to respond. You might be lucky to get off two shots against a full charging of a bear. A mountain lion, who can leap up to 20 feet, maybe even less time to respond. Certain avoidance is your best weapon but if threatened you best respond quickly. In these situations, I'd think the ability to use a laser would be suspect and frankly a detractor.
From my personal experience, unless a person lacks upper body strength or is very recoil sensitive, you can aim a Shockwave even using 3 inch Brenneke slugs (bear defense). Shooting "from the hip" is a proven technique using either a pistol or shotgun however it takes much practice to develop the technique. Many folks tend to shoot high when learning this technique. Repetitive shooting is require to master this technique. I'd personally rather invest in ammo vice lasers if that's your goal.

These thoughts are certainly not given to offend anyone or to downplay the use of a laser. They have their place, especially with a pistol, used in conjunction with a flashlight. I'd just like to better understand it's intended use coupled with a Shockwave. Regards.

They both can be a beacon to the bad guy to pin point back to your position...

.....locating all of them (especially if multiples) is far more of a priority.
Well, I'm just a regular guy living in a regular house. If this was Mosul, then maybe I'll plan differently. I'm not aware of any home invasion where the bad guys took fire and continued their advance. My flat screen TV isn't worth it. Little old ladies with single-shot shotguns have been winning for all of recorded history.
...a good weapon light beam in close quarters will still be tight enough to use for aiming like a laser, but will allow you to actually see what you're targeting, rather than simply the direction your shot is going to go.
I figure if I can hit it with a slug at 50', buckshot on a closer target is a cakewalk.

I guess that's the point; the light is great for buckshot, but the laser works for both buckshot and slugs. As a hiking gun the slug will stop anything we have in Western Washington.

looking down the sights is completely manageable and it doesn’t stick out any longer than using a pistol, a shouldered shotgun with 18-1/2” to 20” barrel or even a carbine rifle.

Well, I'm just a regular guy living in a regular house. If this was Mosul, then maybe I'll plan differently. I'm not aware of any home invasion where the bad guys took fire and continued their advance. My flat screen TV isn't worth it. Little old ladies with single-shot shotguns have been winning for all of recorded history.
I figure if I can hit it with a slug at 50', buckshot on a closer target is a cakewalk.

I guess that's the point; the light is great for buckshot, but the laser works for both buckshot and slugs. As a hiking gun the slug will stop anything we have in Western Washington.

I don't have any delusions of grandeur. But advancing may not necessarily be a priority. Escaping and eluding is a pretty big motive and incentive to fire on you and continue to do so to a group of armed bad guys. Further, certain gang initiations will sometimes reward a murder. Especially if your skin color or ethnicity does not match theirs.

So, while I don't live in Mosul, I am not blind to the fact that there were a lot of people killed in violent crimes. And why I tend to take the security and safety of my home seriously.

Yes, and more and more home invasion type crimes against seniors.

I'm 76 and still quite active, my wife is 74 and a semi-invalid. We live alone at the end of a private road on a few acres.

If someone enters our home that wasn't invited and poses a threat to our lives they will be shot.
There is no issues of id-ing the perp.

Back