• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What length?

Dave_1

.22LR
I am still deciding on my first shotgun. After talking to some of you guys out there, I think I have decided on the standard 590A1. My next question is what length? How much difference would I really notice if I get a 20" versus a 18.5" and then add a S&J +2 mag extender?

Thanks,
Dave

The extra 1.5" of barrel isn't gonna make enough weight difference to be worth the extra effort to convert the 18.5".

If it's capacity you're looking for, then go with the 20" barrel and be done with it. If you're trying to save weight, then stick with an 18.5" model and leave the capacity alone. Either way spend a LOT of range time shooting and reloading the weapon. Becoming proficient with reloads will offset any difference in capacity between the two. Besides, if you haven't stopped the threat with six rounds you need to be running... ;)

aside from the barrel weight there is some mag tube that is missing as well because the 20 inch barreled models also have a mag tube that runs to the end of the barrel, the mag tube on the 18 1/2" stops short of that even

What a person notices between the two the most is the swing rather than a heavy feeling weapon . Now how that affects someone in a defensive situation, not too sure but in wing hunting and clay shooting sports its a big deal because the swing is pretty exaggerated and swing makes a difference when you might have to shoot two clays that are on opposite sides of the horizon.

I think a real cool set up would be an 18 1/2" ribbed barrel 590 with a mag tube extension

How much "stuff" are you dreaming of hanging off the front half of your shotgun?

And I'll just say it now.... please forgive me...

I beg you ~~ PLEASE don't ever call the 590 you eventually purchase a "shotty".

Did I say that out loud??? Ooops.

Definitely a light. I'm looking into bayonets too, but I can't really imagine keeping it attached. I think the bayonet would be "just because I could". The light would be the only accessory I would really have on there. I will probably replace the stock with a 12" LOP. I am only 5'8" * I think the shorter stock will help balance the weight better.

I elected to go with the 51411 18.5" version of the M590A1. I wanted the shortest possible shotgun without the hassle of SBS paperwork. THE S&J +2 Extension for the 590A1 is on pre-order sale right now and it simply screws on. The other up side to the 18.5' version is you can purchase a 28" Accu-Choke barrel for an 835 if you want to use the same gun for hunting or trap shooting, etc. I would just get the 51417 if I had to but a new one today. It comes with the Magpul furniture already, add a light and the S&J extension and you're good to go.

This is mine. My S&J extension should ship in another week or so, and I have since added a Magpul rail section to the right side of the forend to mount my TRL-3 until I get a Inforce WML

IMG_00121.jpg

That is a damn nice shotgun. I would be extremely proud to own one just like it.

Congratulations!!!

Hi Dave, for starters only the 20" 590 will accept a bayonet.

I recommend the 18.5 model. This is a modular design, it can be a 6-shot, 8-shot, or an 835 bird gun as mentioned before. The 20" barrel is also a whopping 2.5 inches longer than the 18.5 model. It will feel shorter and lighter because... it is.

If you really want a light weight gun forget the 590A1s and get a regular 590. Or even 500 18.5.

The 20" barrel is also a whopping 2.5 inches longer than the 18.5 model. It will feel shorter and lighter because... it is.

Why 2-1/2? I only thought 1-1/2? That's quite a bit of heavy barrel hanging out there!

Will the shorter barrel increase the recoil? I've been warned about buying any Mossberg because of heavy recoil. Are they any worse than any other shotgun?

Why 2-1/2? I only thought 1-1/2? That's quite a bit of heavy barrel hanging out there!

Will the shorter barrel increase the recoil? I've been warned about buying any Mossberg because of heavy recoil. Are they any worse than any other shotgun?

Felt recoil is easily manageable with proper stance/hold, and/or a recoil pad regardless of make or model. You can also buy reduced recoil shells. Recoil is the last thing I'd be concerned with. As for barrel length and added weight, that extra 2 1/2" might add 6oz or so, plus the weight of the longer mag tube and a couple shells, maybe another 6oz. Again, not something to work up a sweat about. If you're worried about it, go to the gym. :)

I come from a background of having to hold a M1 on the back of my hands at arms length until my Drill Instructor said I could put it down, so perhaps I'm a little less inclined than others to worry about a few ounces here and there. Or a couple extra pounds of recoil for that matter. :)

Back