• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What on earth just came out of my barrel?

Papa D

Been about 3 months since last trip to the range. I did, what I thought, was a thorough cleaning after that day. Getting the little lady ready for the new season, so I broke her out of the safe and gave her a once over today. All was going well. Just gave all of the internals a wipe down and some fresh CLP. Then I went to give the barrel a quick wipe with a bore brush and patch and all of this white crusty stuff fell out on my cleaning mat. Is this dried up lube from the last cleaning or is it some kind of waxy residue from the ammo that I used the last range trip or something else?

Sent from my BLU STUDIO ONE using Tapatalk

Forgot the picture...
4c237d636c3caf24161904ccd7272911.jpg

What kind of ammo were you using last?

Looks like it could be plastic from the wad.
Tough to tell from the pic.

Looks like it could be plastic from the wad.
Tough to tell from the pic.

That was what I was wondering too, and why I asked.

I cleaned up an old 16 gauge last year and it had been so long since it had been cleaned that I had to use a wire brush on a drill to clean it. The plastic wad was especially built up in it.

Is the barrel ported?

Porting has a better chance of "peeling" some of the wad on its' way through, especially if there is a small burr on one of the ports, but that certainly doesn't have to be the only reason why wadding could remain in the barrel. There is a lot of heat and friction on that thin plastic wad when its' fired.

That was what I was wondering too, and why I asked.

I cleaned up an old 16 gauge last year and it had been so long since it had been cleaned that I had to use a wire brush on a drill to clean it. The plastic wad was especially built up in it.

Is the barrel ported?

Porting has a better chance of "peeling" some of the wad on its' way through, especially if there is a small burr on one of the ports, but that certainly doesn't have to be the only reason why wadding could remain in the barrel. There is a lot of heat and friction on that thin plastic wad when its' fired.
Cool. No porting. Just a standard 18.5" smooth bore with no choke.

Will keep an eye on it after next trip to range. Switching away from the Winchester stuff again.

Wow didn't realize I had not posted in regards to this.
In case anyone is curious, it looks like this was either the grex crud that was stuck in barrel from the Winchester loads or was the same gook that caused my gun to fail extraction with the same Winchester ammo. Either way, I have not had a single issue with Miss Dixie with any Remington, Federal or Estate ammo before or since.

My Mossy's love the Estate 9 Pellet OO Buck...bought a ton of it on sale last year @ $79.99 for a 250 round box.

So much...my UPS guy asked me if I was expecting a war to break out.

Back