• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's going on with the Canadian Convoy?

I think the northern border is mainly to protect the Canadians from us. So far.
LOL...could be. In my mind and I'm sure in many others for the last hundred years or more it's been nothing more than a formality. Things are definitely different since 9/11 but I remember as a teen we would cross over and head to Birch Bay or Bellingham, WA regularly. Even as unaccompanied minors in those days, we never got hassled going back or forth. I doubt that a truck or Jeep load full of 17 year old yahoo's would fair nearly as well at the border crossing today.

Always thought years ago the border section between B.C. and the U.S. was there to try to control the movement of "B.C. Bud" into the PNW!

Other than that it was fairly easy to transit the border both ways.

Regards

Last edited:
Always thought years ago the border section between B.C. and the U.S. was there to try to control the movement of "B.C. Bud" into the PNW!

Other than that it was fairly easy to transit the border both way.

Regards
I'm sure most is smuggled in trucks and cars for sure. But there are hundreds and hundreds of rugged wilderness miles of Can/US border in BC alone, even with satellites and drones you'll never catch 'em all. There are at least 3 lakes that span the border and probably hundreds of small rivers and creeks. It's not unheard of to hear of drug muling by backpack into the US. Some areas are so remote that no signage exists, would be pretty easy to say you wandered in by mistake. That is of course until they find the 40lbs of bud in your pack. LOL!

I wish Trudeau would get lead poisoning. Tainted water...
Unlikely to happen up here. We have really good water Meanie...LOL!

Though perhaps after the next election he'll be sent out to wander in the vast expanse of the political wilderness known as out of favor and out office. That might be the best we could hope for.

I have to admit that as a minor, who didn’t know any better, I smuggled Molson beer across the Rainy River, from Ontario to Minnesota.

Of course it never actually made it back on to dry land, once it was loaded onto the boat. Maybe that doesn’t count as smuggling then?

Drunken teenage boating, for sure.

...I remember as a teen we would cross over and head to Birch Bay or Bellingham, WA regularly. Even as unaccompanied minors in those days, we never got hassled going back or forth.

When I was a tween in Maine, my uncle would take me and a half-dozen cousins of similar age on his vending route collecting quarters. Cigarette machines (remember those?), pinball, pool tables, that sort of thing. It would be us and bags of quarters in the back of a box van with the back door wide open. :) Not a seatbelt in sight! ;) He had machines in Quebec--I forget what city. Passing through the border crossing was a slow down and wave affair and we'd wave from the back of the van as we passed by. We'd always stop to get french fries and they always had vinegar and mayonnaise to put on them. :D

I have to admit that as a minor, who didn’t know any better, I smuggled Molson beer across the Rainy River, from Ontario to Minnesota.

Of course it never actually made it back on to dry land, once it was loaded onto the boat. Maybe that doesn’t count as smuggling then?

Drunken teenage boating, for sure.

The smuggling would depend on where you relieved yourself, lol.

The smuggling would depend on where you relieved yourself, lol.

It appears that that fact was never recorded, back in the days before GPS.

Once you go out the mouth of the river onto Lake of the Woods nobody knows where the border is.

Not even the guys who surveyed it, which is apparent if you check the map.

What it looks like is the surveyors came down the Rainey River until they hit town, and then they all got drunk.
D8304A34-E6B7-4DB9-A900-877EB93064AF.jpeg
The next thing you know Minnesota‘s got this big finger sticking up into Canada, that ends abruptly when they all sobered up, found their compass, and came due South until they hit the United States border again.

Back