• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's the going rate to have a front Ghost Ring Sight soldered to a barrel?

I have a 590A1 with a 20" barrel and a bead sight and would like to convert it to GRS with the Mossberg Kit. It looks like the receiver is already tapped for the rear GRS, but the front sight would need to be soldered on. I have heard of various posts in other forums where people glued it on with Loctite, JB Weld, etc. and some brave souls who soldered it on themselves.

The soldering doesn't seem hard, but without a jig to properly align it, seems like something that would be pointless to DIY.

Are there any gunsmiths or specialty shops where you could just mail them the barrel and the sight and they'll do it correctly for you?

TIA

SJ

Thanks for the leads, gents! These guys look to notch!

It occurred to me as well, couldn't I also just purchase a replacement 20" thick walled barrel with a sight ramp already soldered on from Mossberg? I've gotten used to my mossy already and would hate to part with the barrel for a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks as always!

SJ

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

That's not a bad call.

The new barrel will run you about $150 if ordered directly from Mossberg. By the time you buy the sight kit, then pay shipping and labor, you're probably going to spend well over the cost of a new barrel. If you decide to go that route, give 'em a call and request a replacement barrel for a model 51663. It'll be a lot easier than trying to explain what you're looking for. Here's the parts and service number...

O.F. Mossberg & Sons
(800) 363-3555

Great answer, mate! Thank you again for the part number. Seems reasonable that Mossberg will have this. Thank you guys one again!

SJ

Will do! That Vang Comp site is amazing. I will ask Santa for their ported 590A1 for Christmas!

Yes Sir, and the guys over there are great to deal with. Excellent customer service all the way around...

OK, here is an update on the GRS saga. Thanks, Sniper for the Mossberg info. At first I emailed my request, but after 11 days and no answer, decided to call, which I should have done first.

Wait time was <5 minutes, and I spoke with a nice gentleman named Manny. Great customer service. I was asked my serial number, which I didn't have, as I was at work. Anyways, I was looking for a different replacement barrel, not the bead sighted one that is the only option with the USSM model. He got me not one, but two part numbers, so I suppose I can choose the standard GRS front ramp or the AR style front ramp. I think I will probably go with the former unless you all have something good to day about an AR-style front. For anyone else who is looking to change, here are the part numbers for a 20" 590A1 heavy-walled barrel that will fit a 9 shot model:

Replacement Barrel for 50771 (590A1 SPX 9 Shot)
p/n 18925P/price: $135

Replacement Barrel for 51668 (590A1 - Shell Storage Stock)
p/n 101626P / price: $125

edit: The rear sight that goes with the above barrel is
p/n 12442P / price $37

5-6 weeks for delivery.

Will keep you all updated and get you a pic when done.

SJ

Last edited:
Two things...

- The standard GRS front ramp (51668) uses the direct receiver mounted rear GRS aperture.

- The SPX style front ramp (50771) uses the rail mounted rear GRS aperture.

The choice would depend on which rear aperture type you intend to use. Either style should work equally well. Will you order the rear aperture at the same time?

...oh, and they always say 5-6 weeks, but we've had several members lately receive their orders in just over a week. You might not end up having to wait that long...

Ahh, nice catch there, Sniper. Thanks!

I will probably go on the direct receiver mounted GRS aperture. I was so stoked about getting a part and very reasonable pricing that I forgot to ask about the rear aperture. I'll call back when I am ready to place the order. Thanks again, you are awesome!

SJ

Two things...

- The standard GRS front ramp (51668) uses the direct receiver mounted rear GRS aperture.

- The SPX style front ramp (50771) uses the rail mounted rear GRS aperture.

The choice would depend on which rear aperture type you intend to use. Either style should work equally well. Will you order the rear aperture at the same time?

...oh, and they always say 5-6 weeks, but we've had several members lately receive their orders in just over a week. You might not end up having to wait that long...

Well I got the new barrel with the GRS in yesterday, it seemed like I received it in no time at all. I ended up forgetting the rear aperture again when I ordered, then I went ahead and ordered it, so after a few or many days, it should be complete and I'll get a pic. The barrel went on without any problems, I know a couple of years ago, it seems that they were not soldered on accurately. When I get the rear aperture, I will zero it in and see how it does.

I noticed that the orange marker on the front GRS seems to be replaceable and is dovetailed. I tried looking, but have yet to find an aftermarket dovetail replacement front sight marker. Does this exist? I am looking to see if I can get something in tritium since this is primarily an HD gun.

Thanks again guys for all your support and help!

SJ

Great stuff, Sniper, and really helpful. Thank you!

Well I have both parts now. I am going on a trip for a couple of weeks, when I get back I will finish it and take a pic.

I am going to contact Mossberg for instructions on installing the rear aperture. Doesn't look like rocket science, but I suppose I need to calibrate the elevation screw somehow after screwing it into the receiver.

Thank you again!

SJ

Glad you got all the parts you need.

Once you get the rear sight installed all that's left to do is buy some ammo and go sight it in. That's the fun part...

Back