• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wheel GUNS!!

I shot the Uberti-made Evil Roy
.357 revolver yesterday and I am very impressed with the trigger and the way it shoots.

I forgot to take photos though, and I don't take possession of this gun until Feb 2. I just got the Springfield XDS-9 and so there's a 30 day wait.

I will shoot it again before then and get photos.

It is black and evil looking but with case hardened receiver.

I finally got the SW686 to the range today--the first time since the trigger job. It had about a 75% FTF rate (frown face!). I used the same cheap Herter's ammo that shot 100% before the adjustment. I knew it was too light to be true! It made for a nervous time at the range, sometimes they would fire on the third strike.
It's going back to Smith to tighten the hammer spring Monday, but I have to use it for CCW class this Saturday. Should be interesting. Any recommendations on .38 ammo that fires with a light strike?

Also, the rounds that didn't ever fire had a significant dimple on the primer???

Here is a nice old Colt Police Positive with a 5" barrel. The revolver dates from around 1931, the box of ammo I think from the early 1950's. The 32 Colt New Police was essentially identical to the 32 S&W Long with a slightly heavier (100gr vs 98gr) lead round nose bullet but "back in the day" Colt refused to mark their guns with the letters "S&W" so came up with a "new" cartridge and called it Colt :D

orig.jpg

Last edited:
. . . I don't take possession of this gun until Feb 2. I just got the Springfield XDS-9 and so there's a 30 day wait. . . .

30 days IF the dealer turns in the paperwork.

It's gonna be another 8 days.

So really it adds up to 40 days, since if you turn in a gun before the last 30 are up, it kicks out and you lose $25.

Instead, you wait 10 days for the new DROS to clear.

So by law you can buy one pistol every 30 days, but you cannot possess then that fast UNLESS you put several on one DROS. You wait 30 days for the first one. You get one every 30 thereafter, because another background check is not triggered.

It's getting like the tax code: a shell game designed to rip off the unwary.

Our whole govt and economy operates on the P.T. Barnum principal that "there's a sucker born every minute."

Finally, I got the Evil Roy .357 (Cimarron made by Uberti) from the dealer. It's been in his safe since Jan 4.

20160219_201231-2_resized.jpg

That's what happens when you buy too many in a short time. All those waiting periods bump into each other.

20160221_195856-1.jpg I ran 100 rounds through the Evil Roy six-shooter today and it shot flawlessly. I ran .38 Feds, .357 Wins, and .357 HPRS through it, and it is just a sweet gun. Crisp trigger, light pull, and smooth action, except for the safety. More on that later.
20160221_200001.jpg

20160221_195824.jpg

20160221_200445.jpg

20160221_200058.jpg

20160221_194429-1.jpg

20160221_194415.jpg

20160221_195811-1.jpg

Last edited:
As you see above this gun is lazer engraved and not stamped. The finish is nicely done. I love the grips. It seems like a nice gun, except the recoil rattles the cylinder pin (base pin) against the cross lock button.

The cross button lock is spring loaded and a press allows you to move the base pin in and out.

There are two notches, fire and safety. Push in for safety, pull out to fire.

The safety position allows the base pin to interfere with the hammer, and in theory you can carry 6 with the hammer down on the safety.

Moving the safety under fire is a death sentence though. It takes too long, when it works.

When it sticks, you're defenseless, and it does stick. Why? Recoil hammers the pin on the cross pin, and even dry firing does this in the safety position.

DON'T DRY-FIRE TEST THE SAFETY. It dings the base pin at the safety notch.
When you shoot, it dings the fire position notch.

Basically the pin should be something tougher, maybe chrome vanadium steel would do it. I dunno.

I do believe a place called Belt Mt. was making better pins for these and others so I'll have to look them up.

I would show a pic of the damaged pin, but I repaired it before I thought to do so.

You can see the two notches on the base pin, shown extended a lot.
20160222_012751-1.jpg
Pin in is safe
20160222_013027-1-1.jpg
pin out is fire
20160222_012959-1.jpg

If the pin is stuck in safe mode, you can hold the cross bolt in and dry-fire, and the hammer will knock the pin out a bit. In an emergency the gun will fire like this.

If it's still stuck, pull a spent .22 case in the hole under the hammer, and dry-fire. That will knock the pin forward enough. The .22 is 1/32 under the pin dia of .25 nominal so it will fall right back out.

20160222_012722-1.jpg

I found the new improved pin for about $30.

We shot the evil Roy today.
I ran a 18 rounds through it and then took it apart and photographed the damage that it did to the base pin.

20160312_092231-1.jpg

If you fire it, it makes a dent on the groove at the firing position and if you dry fire it while it's on safety it makes a dent at the safety position notch of the base pin.

I had dressed the dents off a little bit the last time I shot this gun, so the pin could slide in and out of the gun easily again, and I did so again tonight when I cleaned and greased the gun.

I definitely need to get the improved pin for this gun, but I wanted to mess this one up again, and take a close-up photo of it, to show you all what's happening.

I ordered a new revolver this week it's a baby 5 shot 22 magnum belly gun made by North American Arms.

I'll post up some pics when I get it.

Okay my 10-day waiting period is up and I got the new single action mini revolver. In California I paid $514 for this with the tax & fees. This is a used gun & it has only been test-fired, by me, when the owner decided to sell it. It is absolutely like new.
20160425_205823.jpg
This is the North American Arms Sidewinder made in Provo Utah. It's all stainless steel with cocobolo grips in the classic bird head pattern.
20160425_222317.jpg
It comes with a separate cylinder so you can convert it from 22 long rifle to 22 magnum rimfire.
20160425_205623.jpg
I have not shot this one yet but the little star extractor system should make it easy to unload.
20160425_221952.jpg
You can see that it's only a 5-shot.

Swinging out the cylinder is a little trickier than on a more substantial revolver. It only requires three fingers but they have to be the right ones. :D

The cylinder has 10 notches: 5 firing positions and five safety positions between them.

You carry this gun fully loaded, with the hammer down on any one of the five safeties. Then you simply draw cock and Fire. There's absolutely no chance of a drop-fire or impact fire as long as you have the gun on safety.

I also got the $30 plastic folding grip/clip/holster assembly. I will shoot some photos of that when I get it on

Finally, I got the Evil Roy .357 (Cimarron made by Uberti) from the dealer. It's been in his safe since Jan 4.

View attachment 11023

That's what happens when you buy too many in a short time. All those waiting periods bump into each other.

I have a 5.5" Cimarron Evil Roy in .45 Colt and it is a real gem. Really great gun for around $800

That is a sweet little revolver. I'll have to check out that manufacturer, since they are close to the Cabelas I sometimes visit:)

Nice little mini revolver.

I will admit that I have a fondness for these little guns, they are actually very well made and NAA provides great customer service if the need arises.

CMQ,

I'm really surprised that a Cimarron Evil Roy is showing signs of physical damage from firing. Give them a chance to fix the problem. It should be a flawless revolver. I know that mine is. Probably just a bad cylinder pin, hopefully.

Back