• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

When does LOP become too short for a HD / TAC shotgun?

I know that the buttstock on the 930 can only be shortened up so much. But I was wondering:

"At what point does LOP become so short that you're handicapping yourself because of it?"

And I'm not talking about firing a shotgun with only the pistol grip... I'm talking about normal shoulder-fired shotgun.

At some point isn't your elbow sticking way out in some awkward position?

I don't know...

I couldnt tell you how short is too short. For me, 11" is just about too short.

I think it would be an individual issue of comfort and practicallity. If it hinders ones ability to sight and fire properly, its too short.

As far as the elbow? Elbows out are fine for shooting bladed like wing shooting, but while shooting defensively/offensively like for HD/SD, try with your elbow tucked down to your side with the shotgun perpendicular to your body, so your body is square to your target.

If you know all this already, I apologize...

If you know all this already, I apologize...

No I don't know any of this.

I've never messed with the LOP on my rifles. I have a breakopen shotgun and my nose sits less than 2" from the release lever. On an SPX, I'm kind of wondering how much you shorter it could get before it's not practical anyway...

I don't plan on going around corners with my HD shotgun - clearing my house or anything.

I think the stock can only be shortened about ¾" to 1" IIRC... Do people shorten the LOP on the SPX to improve LOP for better firing, or are they just trying to shorten the OAL of the weapon to make it more manuverable indoors, or just trying to get as close to 26" as possible?

When does LOP become too short for a HD / TAC shotgun?

When it's too short to shoulder and use correctly.

As far as shortening the LOP 0n a 930, I would think to make it easier to shoulder. Thats why I put a Hogue short LOP on my 590A1. Just a better fit.

SeaScout

Howdy,
The best LOP is usually what fits you best to aid in shooting type of thing. However with a 930 SPX you are quite limited in stock reduction due to the recoil spring and quide system inside the stock. You will see this the first time you disassemble the stock for cleaning and or maintaince. I recently added a adjustable recoil pad to add to my LOP on my 930SPX .
Best...

Back