1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by DHonovich, Oct 27, 2010.

1. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator Sponsor "Philanthropist"

Yea I am really enjoying it.
  2. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 .410

Dan, did that screw come with the Vang Comp safety? Any idea what the screw dimensions are?
  3. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

I'm gonna guess, just because of the way Dan photo documents the parts before installing them, that the allen screw does indeed come with the safety, as pictured below. Pics like these from Dan are typically straight out of packaging. ;)

Nice upgrade!!!
  4. dondavis3

dondavis3 Copper BB

I bought the Brownell safety and can't figure out how to install it.

The safety on my new 500 has some kind of screww the only let's you tighten it - it wont let me unscrew to take the old one off.

Any suggestions?

Any one else have tis problem?

:cool:
  5. jungatheart

jungatheart .22LR

I just did this with mine. Put the gun in my lap, safety up. Bear down hard on screw with good screwdriver and twist. Mine came lose right away with no slippage. I've read on this forum that some dremmel a flat spot and use a punch but I didn't need to.
  6. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 .410

I used a screwdriver safety bit I got with a gunsmithing bit set a few years ago from Midway USA. I wonder if your local home-improvement/hardware store would have bits like that available?
  7. Sn3aKyGuY

Sn3aKyGuY .30-06

I'd assume so. These screws are used in the occasional pre-fabbed, put it together yourself kits like bookshelfs, desks, ect ect
  8. tnxdshooter

tnxdshooter Internet Troll BANNED

I like the looks of those vcs safeties, I think I will get me one.
  9. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator Sponsor "Philanthropist"

You will not be disappointed in the VCS safety!
  10. gumbydammit

gumbydammit .270 WIN

11. tnxdshooter

Ordered my VCS safety earlier today
  12. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

sure like mine alot more than the OEM
  13. tnxdshooter

I bet im looking forward to putting one on mine. I am kind of scared to do it myself as im afraid I will lose the little ball.
  14. Sn3aKyGuY

Sn3aKyGuY .30-06

Put a towel down where you're working. Stick your screwdriver through the bottom of a zip lock bag and put the bag over the receiver as you're working.
  15. tnxdshooter

True, I suppose that could work.
  16. gumbydammit

gumbydammit .270 WIN

I put a little grease on the spring when I replace the safety, it will hold the ball in place. Be sure to take the steel plate off the factory safety and put it on your new safety button.

Replacing the safety can be a three handed job, be sure to have a "Warm Body" standing by to assist if needed. They will only be needed to start the new screw while you hold the internal part and new safety in place.

IF you have to take the entire fire control and bolt assembly out of the receiver, remember the "leg" of the safety goes to the rear of the receiver. (you'll see what I mean)
  17. tnxdshooter

I will more than likely just pay my gunsmith 30 bucks to install it this way I can assure no screw ups.
  18. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

Dont be afraid, remember the words of GhostRider;
    "you cant live your life in fear."

You can do this man!
  19. tnxdshooter

When it comes to things mechanical I have been a lifelong screw up. I dont know if I can do this or not.
    Marlin Mike likes this.
  20. Gunner

Gunner .270 WIN

I can get by nicely with the factory safety button, though I do like the looks of the brownells safety button and am going to give one a try. I've ordered it along with a new screw...just in case I bugger it up backing it out.