Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by DHonovich, Oct 27, 2010.

1. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

,,,,,,Lowe's,,,,,,,Home Depot,,,,,,,,hardware store,,,,
  2. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

I recently put the Elite Tactical Advantage safety on my 930 and like it a lot. Its really easy to actuate with with gloves on
    RAMBO likes this.
  3. dwb

dwb .410

My 500A Persuader came with a metal safety. I always thought they were plastic, but I stuck a magnet to it and oh yea, it's metal. Not really sure if it makes a big difference or not.
  4. Longshot725

Longshot725 .22LR

Thanks for these pics. I like the way this lever looks but have read they are prone to moving to "Safe" while shooting.
    Any problems with this for you?
  5. Spanky

Spanky .410

I can't speak to the Brownells version exactly but I have the ProMag that looks identical and in the 400 rounds I've had through the shotgun, the safety has been rock solid. It's a firm actuation, just like stock. It uses the stock spring and ball and responds with a firm click.

You can see it functioning in the video I made about it:
  6. Longshot725

Longshot725 .22LR

Thanks Spanky! I more question, is it aluminum or steel?
  7. Kadelic

Kadelic .410 Supporter

You're welcome. I haven't had any issues, it locks in rock solid. The Brownells is steel.
  8. Longshot725

Longshot725 .22LR

Thanks a ton! Believe I'll order one up!
  9. mossbear

mossbear .22LR

I installed a ProMag PM262 Enhanced Slide Safety just because it works well when wearing gloves. I works very well.
  10. Spanky

Spanky .410

See below.

Are you 100% sure on that? I held a magnet to my ProMag safety and it didn't want to stick directly to the safety. It felt like it was attracting to the screw and actual safety lug underneath. It was a pretty weak attraction. I would just about swear that the ProMag is aluminum or stainless. It looks anodized so my vote would be aluminum.
  11. mossbear

mossbear .22LR

12. Pawpaw

Pawpaw 20g Supporter

MikeD and LTB45 like this.
  13. Longshot725

Longshot725 .22LR

I bought the Brownell safety and can confirm it is steel. Installed it today and it is a great improvement. I do not know that the ProMag item is the same.

Thanks again Spanky!

E.T.A. Took her out Sunday and gave it good workout. Absolutely, positively worth the investment. It's smooth and positive and you won't miss the safety with your thumb!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Kadelic likes this.
  14. Kadelic

Kadelic .410 Supporter

Yep. From the Brownell's website: "SPECS: 4140 steel, oxide finish, matte black. Fits Mossberg 500/590/835/930/935 shotguns."
  15. leon

leon Copper BB

how do you remove the one way tamper proof screw?
  16. Kamen Rider

Kamen Rider Go for Broke Premier Member

I used this video as a guideline.

What I did was use a small chisel and I hammered a little groove. You don't need much. Then I used a screwdriver and used down force to get the safety screw out. It wasn't really damaged and I could use it again if I wanted, but a new standard flat-head screw came with the new safety.
  17. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

12gafun. You can find some replacement screws on eBay for cheap.
  18. Spanky

Spanky .410

I did some research and sourced both black oxide and stainless allen socket cap screws. I've got them up on eBay with an allen key included for $6.99 shipped. I'd like your guys' feedback on it, including knowing if the price is fair. I looked and saw replacement screws up around $7.50-$7.99, some with allen keys, some not. Let me know what you guys think and if you'd like to buy a larger quantity, I'd be happy to negotiate here.

Black: http://www.ebay.com/itm/382015570198
    Stainless: http://www.ebay.com/itm/382015570980
  19. FLmossy

FLmossy .22LR

I put a ProMag PM262 on my 500. I believe it is aluminum. Very happy with the upgrade, took me about 10 minutes to swap out.

20170321_204844_resized.jpg 20170321_204741_resized.jpg
  20. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

CDM Gear. Just put mine on today.