• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

Rossignol can you post some pictures?? The CDM Gear safety selector looks enormous.

Yep. Start here and scroll down.
http://mossbergowners.com/forum/ind...sberg-safety-from-cdm-gear.15401/#post-218405

What is wrong with the original one that came on the gun?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the factory safety. To me though, th CDM Gear safety adds a layer of functionality that wasn't there before in a way that it puts a smile on your face. I'm not sure how else to explain it but I put together a crappy video and if you watch you get to see me drop my phone.

Nothing wrong with the factory safety. Your thumb can slip if you don't apply the right force at the right angle. There are just some better options out there.
There is nothing wrong with a factory gen. 3 Glock 19 but people trick it out to suit their specific needs.

Nothing really wrong with them, but I like to personalize my forearms. The safety selector upgrade is a simple mod that can improve functionality. I put the Pro Mag selector on all of my tacti-cool Mossbergs, it's made of metal and the contour makes it a little easier to manipulate.

Promag:

1D1FF130-EA08-41BA-B782-B094938AAB01_zpskvicavaw.jpg

Not saying you should. Only asking if it were possible.

I can see it working quite well the way you have it.

For me, the OEM safety was difficult to impossible to manipulate with 590A1 shouldered. Installed the ProMag safety switch, and now I can easily move it from safe to fire while I have it shouldered. Unfortunately, the ProMag doesn't come with a new screw. Thinking that I would probably bugger up the original, I ordered a replacement from Amazon. The socket head was so thick that it protruded above the safety way too much. Ended up using the original screw, which actually wasn't too hard to remove and didn't get messed up after all.

You never know what you're gonna get when ordering the replacement screw on line. Some places will send the original tamper resistant screw. Some will send an allen head, or a slotted head, or in my case, a star drive.

Rats. $9.61 shipping kills the deal.

I just went through this with the plastic safety on my 40-ish year old ATP-8. Went into 4 or 5 different local hardware stores and never could find a low socket head in the correct thread and length. Turns out, I live near a Fastenal distribution center that's tucked away in a light industrial area. They'd only sell full boxes of 100. But it was still cheaper than buying a hand full online and paying $10 for shipping.

So I now own 100 of these little buggers. Got plenty of spares for my 3 shotguns.

I'd be happy to drop one into a padded envelope and mail it to anyone here that asks.

Back