• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which Mossberg 500 to keep?

jrd

.22LR
Well this should start something. I currently have two Mossberg 500 Persuaders (50411 & 50521) and I am trying to decide which one to keep. Both are 18.5 inch and 5+1 capacity. Both have the original synthetic full stock and pistol grip. The 50411 is Blue and the 50521 is Matte. I have a ATI Akita Adjustable stock and a Mesa ShureShell 6-Shot carrier that can go on either shotgun (note: the fore end would have to be swapped as the 50411 has the "corncob" front end and the 50521 has the longer "pinned" front end. I could not get the 50521 so I purchased the 50411. After receiving it the 50521 became available and I bought it on a whim hence my quandry. Putting both of them side by side they both have their strong points. Requesting comments.

I would keep them both.

OK - I can't say I didn't see that coming. Was looking for a little bit more spirited discussion.

Whether you pick the matte or the blue is pretty much personal preference. The parts will be interchangeable with both models.

They are both spec'd the same so there really isn't anything I can offer in terms of which to keep and which to sell.

MikeD said:
I would keep them both.

Quoted for truth lol.

Now thats outta the way. I'd keep the unpinned forend myself. You can always rob from peter to give to paul you know. Switch swap the best of both onto one gun and then sell the other. Or keep one bone stock and utilize the other one as your range toy to accessorize, and re accessorize again. Companies are always coming up with some new product to accessorize with. Especially for the tacticool crowd.

Also, things happen. Hopefully your shotgun doesn't go tits up at a bad time when you need it most but things do break. Its never a bad idea to have a backup weapon handy. Suppose one of those shotguns did develop a hiccup. If that is your only gun available you are sol till its back from the factory/gunsmith etc....... But if you keep both as Mike suggests then there is no issue.

Just saying.

jgwills said:
Hopefully your shotgun doesn't go tits up at a bad time when you need it most but things do break.

Lol, I thought you wrote "tits up at bed time".... that would've been signature worthy :lol:

I'm with you on this one jg... I'd frankenstein one together with the parts and accessories you want and sell the other for ammo or another gun! I'd love to say keep both... but I can't say much, I have sold a gun to buy a gun a few times already :cool:

Get a 28" barrel for one and keep them both.
Short barrel for HD and the long barrel for Hunting, Skeet, Trap or Sporting clays.
The BEST reason to have a shotgun is to shoot things flying through the air.
28" barrel will make it much better for that.

LTB45 said:
Get a 28" barrel for one and keep them both.
Short barrel for HD and the long barrel for Hunting, Skeet, Trap or Sporting clays.
The BEST reason to have a shotgun is to shoot things flying through the air.
28" barrel will make it much better for that.

I couldn't agree more with what the others have said already.
If it's in the budget, just buy the extra barrel and a "best of both worlds" situation :D
IF you HAVE to sell one, I would keep the Matte personally... I like the finish but when buying extra barrels, it is hard to come across ones with that finish.

Back