• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who’s making good cotton patches these days?

cloudswimmer

Copper BB
Hey all,

So after years I finally expired my huge cache of Southern Bloomers cotton shotgun and .50 Cal Patches, so I ordered some more of the same off Amazon the other day and they are horrible .. they shed like crazy. The old Southern Bloomers I had were more of an off white beige color (these new ones are bleached bright white), didn’t shed a bit, and were softer and were great for applying Renaissance wax and polishing my custom blued hand guns .. as well as bore cleaning of course (these new ones are rougher textured) So who is making good cotton patches these days? Thanks ..... Chris

Old scrap T shirts?

Finding an old flannel shirt at the rag store would probably last years.

Old scrap T shirts?

Finding an old flannel shirt at the rag store would probably last years.

Yeah probably going to have to get some T-Shirts or cotton material from a yardage store and make my own. I tried the Pro Shots mentioned above and they left a lot of lint .. more so than the current Southern Bloomers. I ordered some 3” Allen cotton patches off Amazon last night which user reviews ‘claim’ are lint free .. but I’m not holding my breath. Boy I miss those older Southern Bloomer Patches .. those things were so dawg on versatile. Ohh well.

Old scrap T shirts?

I wear cotton T-shirts and socks. When they wear out and I mean REALLY wear out, they get cut up and become rags. Then the rags go through an evolution of dirtyness ending with wiping up oil/grease off the ground then into the garbage.

I picked up a Ryobi 4V tool set that included these MC100L shears. Note the pin defeating the lawyer switch. ;) The set also included 2 batteries, a charger, noise-cancelling earmuffs, a bright-ass flashlight, USB charger and 1/4" bit-driver. I bought another set being completely satisfied with the first set and an extra shear off debay. This was about 10 years ago directly from the Home Depot website. I think the set was about $50 on closeout. The shears don't appear to be a current listing and that is too bad because they work great for making rags and cutting paper. These take a 4V battery about the size of a fat lipstick tube. Batteries are still working fine and get charged every few months when I remember to.

BTW Cloud, Welcome Aboard! :)

mc100l.jpg

Back