• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Whoa ! Big bird suprise !

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Ive been volunteering trapping some nuisance hogs out on Ft Rucker Army base near my home. They supply materials and i build and manage the traps in the given training areas. Well today i went to a spot pretty far out off the beaten path were they have a small LZ to check a trap. I had checked in with range ops as is the way you do it. All clear. I head down old trail break the woodline and whoa big fella. Now if youve never had the pleasure of staring down an Apache its hard to explain but il say this no matter how many times its always a lil intimidating. These pics are out the window of my truck at danger close range.lol enjoy20170712_104335.jpg 20170712_104117.jpg 20170712_104324.jpg

I hear the hogs are smart and after they are tried to be trapped, it's near impossible to trap them again a second time.

They are pretty smart but also driven by there gut kinda like a man thats driven by his little head and will make dumb mistakes. Theyre not hard to trap if you follow some pretty simple methods. I used to do it alot over in Georgia and we got pretty good at it over the years trial and error. I just got couple trail cams ready tonight il put them out tommorow and maybe have some pics in couple days.

Last edited:
I have seen youtube videos of hog traps where it takes days of feeding and not springing the trap to trick them into going in at one time. The older and wiser hogs often let the young ones forge ahead while they stay back.

I typically dont set for usually 3 to 5 days or so depending on what cameras show activity. I also dont just dump raw corn. I have a nice little mix i ferment in 5 gallon buckets corn yeast hot water grape kool aid packet. It has pretty serious liquor odor. I will post hole a couple spots in trap fill half way with mix then cover with dirt. Hogs love to root and the squirrels racoons deer etc dont get it. I will spread some raw corn around trap and entrance.

Well no deer, hogs, or other varmints for us, except a couple opossum.

I bought a high-powered pellet rifle so I could shoot them here in The Burbs, but so far they have not returned.

I've never seen an Apache helicopter up close, but when I was about 18 we used to go out on the Hill Field Golf Course in the middle of the night, drinking illegal beer from the vending machine in the "clubhouse." They had a cinder block building with a restroom and some vending machines at the 9th hole. You could get a beer for $0.25 from the vending machine, because they never locked that building up until the janitor went to clean it in the middle of the night.

So we used to sit out in the tall grass between the golf course and the practice LZ, and watch Huey's make autorotation landings in the dark.

That was quite amazing the first time I saw them switch off at altitude and then just flutter down to the ground. Those guys were great too. We never saw one hard Landing.

air_force_museum.png

from https://xkcd.com/1850/

Alrighty this new trap starting to get some good activity wont be long now. I went ahead and set it today. Some nice hogs and one HUGe momma sow. No piglets i bet she pregnant. I put up two cams on that site 20170726_191812798.jpg 20170726_191901190_2.jpg 20170726_192007565.jpg 20170726_191105963.jpg 20170726_191655453.jpg Had like 160 pics last night heres a couple.

If she has piglets while in the trap, make sure you run one of them through a rottesserie.

If she has piglets while in the trap, make sure you run one of them through a rottesserie.
I am pretty much over hogs anymore i give almost everything away to folks BUT a nice suckling piglet yeah baby thats good groceries i crave.

Lol what do we have here on camera at 3a.m.? PICT0003 (1).JPGIts not a ppoacher. That would be a poor lost soul enduring the misery of SERE training finding his way thru what i can tell you is pitch black woods. On that heading he is soon to be in a hellish waist deep mucky swamp full of snakes hogs and gators. Not sure if the little twig will help. The price they pay for the glory of flying. I cropped to remove face.

It would suck to be lost in the woods at night with no light or anything else and have to keep moving and not shelter down until daylight. I surely sympathize for him.

It would suck to be lost in the woods at night with no light or anything else and have to keep moving and not shelter down until daylight. I surely sympathize for him.
Oh dont worry for him. He will have shelter after hes captured and he will be captured. Then a good dose of getting captured sucks training. But all will be fine he will return to a typically gorgeous wife or girlfriend and cruise his Beemer to the O club for a beer. Then resume flying the skys on his iron dragon. Most of those kids are good boys who do a helluva job.

When you think about what those flyboys actually do for a living DJ, it is pretty sobering, because you know that they all have high IQs and yet to fly those things they have to be at least 1% insane.

Nobody works on my motorcycle except me. I want to know that every one of them damn bolts are tight, and I know because I am the guy that tightened them.

The truck is different. When a wheel comes off a truck you can survive it (don't ask me how I know.)

Now let me strap you onto a 100000 horsepower turbine and shoot you out of a giant slingshot into the sky.

(WAAAAHOOoooooooo!)

And to be perfectly honest the guys we've got building and fixing those things are terrific, and they usually work damn good.

The problem is that gravity always works. No maybes about it. It doesn't care about your conditions.

Back