• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Whoopsie

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Wasn't there more nuclear bombs that have been lost?

Seems like one was in a swamp somewhere in the deep southeastern us.

Another around Iceland or the artic somewhere.

And I just find out about these nukes that were recovered from North Carolina.

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb475/

There was a nuclear accident in Charlestown, RI in 1964 that claimed a man's life and possibly caused cancer of his widow when she held his hand as he was dieing... :( LINK. I remember reading about it in the 90s.

Ironically, not long after while a student, I took a tour of a research reactor at URI in nearby Narragansett--the Bay Campus. That is the big white square building in the picture. We went in the ground floor and got our radiation "badges" then climbed a number of stairs to get to the top of the pool. It is a very low-level reactor used to test environmental samples. We were standing on a platform looking down into a deep pool of water, I'd say 30' or so. At the bottom of the pool we could see the blue glow of radiation. :eek: The water above kept the radiation from getting to us. The way it worked is they would put the samples in a tube not unlike the teller tube in a bank drive-thru and send them down next to the nuclear reaction where they would be acted upon by the reaction. I can't really describe the science behind it but by analyzing the nuked samples they could tell what elements were in it or something like that... ;)

Attachments

• uribaycampus1.jpg
    uribaycampus1.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 7
We had a small heavy_water reactor when I was in school, but I only looked into it once. Really not much interest in things too radioactive.

It was a very spooky feeling.

I got the same feeling at Thiokol, where they mix rocket fuel in giant Sunbeam Mixmasters, just beyond the glass . . .

There's a reason they do that way out in the desert.

Back