• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why a 500 over a Maverick 88?

DrDyno

Hi All,

I have a year-old Maverick 88 (6-round) which has shot everything I've put in the magazine without complaint. I am considering a second shotgun. Besides the difference in the safety location and the forend slide, is there any significant difference between a new Maverick 88 and a late model Mossberg 500?

Is the 500 receiver tapped for a rail? (The 88 is not.)
Is the trigger housing metal? (It's plastic in the 88.)
Does the 500 come with a railed barrel?
If not, are there sight options besides the little gold bead?

Many thanks for your input!

DrDyno said:
Hi All,

I have a year-old Maverick 88 (6-round) which has shot everything I've put in the magazine without complaint. I am considering a second shotgun. Besides the difference in the safety location and the forend slide, is there any significant difference between a new Maverick 88 and a late model Mossberg 500?

Is the 500 receiver tapped for a rail? (The 88 is not.) YES. New models are tapped.
Is the trigger housing metal? (It's plastic in the 88.) NO. This feature is only found on the 590a1
Does the 500 come with a railed barrel? Field models do come with a vent ribbed barrel and either a standard or fiber optic bead.
If not, are there sight options besides the little gold bead? 500 barrels do come with a variety of options including the larger white dot bead, rifle sights, and ghost rings on the SPX models.

Responses in red above...

DrDyno said:
Hi All,

Is the 500 receiver tapped for a rail? (The 88 is not.)
Is the trigger housing metal? (It's plastic in the 88.)
Does the 500 come with a railed barrel?
If not, are there sight options besides the little gold bead?

biggest difference besides what you already mentioned,,,,,10 year warranty on the 500.
and the price.
plastic trigger housing on the 500.
you can order just about any barrel you want on the 500. (they interchange with the mav88)
yes the newer 500 receivers are drilled and tapped.

Also, Maverick 88 model as far I as I know and have seen only come with standard blued barrels while the various Mossberg 500 options offer standard blued, matte blued and parked barrels. Also some Model 500 series receivers come with a matte tactical black anodized finish instead of the shiny black painted one like the Mav 88 only offers. Lots more cosmetic options basically with the Model 500s.

Everything else has already been covered above.

Back