• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why does Mossberg get no respect?

Shawn.54

Was on another forum and some one was asking about Mossberg Patriot or another brand.
The replays did not go well for Mossberg they don't say any bad just pointed out other choices like Mossberg Patriot did not exist they even recommended 1 rifle cost twice as much and then send it out for a $700 upgrade to make it work better. Now if you need to spend $700 to make it shoot is it really a good rifle?
I guess we can keep it a secret and enjoy a low cost workhorse that gets the job done and use that $700 to buy two more.
Sorry for the rant but Mossberg just don't get no respect
Shawn

Mossberg has had some QC issues on some models. It does not take much , esp in today's age if instantaneous misinformation.

I also think people tend to equate inexpensive with cheap. People also seem to view a alum receiver as weaker than steel. TBH I had a somewhat negative vision of them just from the rumor mill that was shot to shreds when I actually bought and used one. My Mossbergs have been every bit as reliable as my 870.

Unfortunately I have yet to own a Mossberg rifle but have plans to in the next year or so.

Yep, I'd say the quality control issues as Mike mentioned. They aren't entirely unfounded but Remington has had WAY more issues with rifles but still cost significantly more, in most cases.

I think OFM is fighting an uphill battle against perception.

When I bought a bolt action rifle, I chose Savage over Mossberg and it nothing to do with negative perception surrounding OFM rifles. There's way more negative surrounding shotguns but when I needed another shotgun I got another Mossberg.

Great masses of people simply respect the money spent when they don't have enough data to make a more informed decision.

Mossberg is often less expensive, therefore less respected by the masses.

Like Will Ferrel said in Wedding Crashers. "Good! Good! More for us!" Heard Patriots are going up in price from a local dealer. Hoping to get my wife & daughter a Patriot each before people catch on and the price potentially goes thru the roof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It can be annoying if I want to kill a thread I just chime in mention that my 375 is a Mossberg and no one else will reply most of the time the reason I frequent that forum is for info on the cartridge.
I have a Mossberg 500 also and it has been with me over 23 years and and will probable be here the rest of my lifetime no sense fixing what is not broke.
Shawn

I don't know about other models but my synthetic stock was going to be replaced in the future but as it stands now I'm not touching it works to well and I don't want to mess with what works I my have it hydrodipped.
It is well on its way to being my favorite.
Shawn

I had my choice of whatever I wanted when choosing the 308 youth mossberg this year as my hiking/mountain gun. If it functions without issue.....which it does....carries well and is light.....which it does.......who am I impressing? I put a piece of glass worth more than the gun on top. It is an excellent value......and there are some slamming deals going on right now. Palmetto just offered this morning the 270 for like $238.......wow!!! Worth buying.

They are not perfect but with the cost factor they are hard to beat hope they continue to produce them.
And at 238 looking even better.

Well I was looking at another forum and the op wanted thoughts on Patriot or Ruger American I was ready to chime in but after reading on noticed that after each positive patriot post someone posted "I wouldn't buy anything Mossberg" then two others would quote it with +1&+2.
I guess I shouldn't let it get to me. But these people haven't even touched one so I figure it's best to not even try to argue.
Shawn

I recently responded to something about the 870 being "the best shotgun out there that everyone loves". I said I don't love but neither do I hate it just that I prefer the ergonomics/mechanics of the Mossberg. I also asked what, objectively, makes the 870 the best? I had seen people say they had "worn out" receivers on OFM shotguns. I asked how old the firearm was and to elaborate on "worn out" among a couple other ridiculous, vague, and totally subjective comments. I never received any reply. The echo chamber continued to speak to itself.

I have no issue with folks being really happy and excited with their firearm of choice. I have no issue when people say it's the best they've owned. But subjective blanket statements by people who have never owned nor fired anything else don't do anything to persuade me.

I would almost go as far as to say that speaking with a brand snob fan boy is like arguing with a liberal sycophant.

In that the firearm produced is now equally made to the level of a RA or Savage Axis 11.....it becomes a reputation issue rather than a fact issue. The only way Mossberg can work on that issue is to change minds. Thus the use of 'Hunger Games" and Randy Wakeman and Ron Spomer etc........the more they can show off the 'like ability' and the use by 'famous' people....the more they will well and convince the masses.

The rifle I replaced with was a Rem 700 classic which I picked up for the cartridge it was chambered in 35 Whelen when I got it all I heard was it's not controlled round feed and the tiny little extractor claw would not work. It never jammed or failed to extract a case.
Fact is it became my every thing gun groundhog-bear worked in cold hot and rain snow only reason it went away is I give it to my son who loved it too.
So in comes the Patriot I liked the looks loved the cartridge (.375 Ruger)really loved the price and it had gotten great reviews. For the price I did not have high expectations for accuracy anything under 2" at 100 yards would have worked. So when it printed under 1" with the first loading I and some with me were impressed 1 friend impressed enough he went and got one in 7mm-08 and it is just as accurate. That is two rifles that shoot great so when people ask online I tend to answer with the truth I have found then the beatings begin. I guess you get what you pay for an $800 rifle that feeds well and shoots moa is better than a $349 that feeds as well and shoots moa. Guess I'm just not that smart. I have never judged a gun by what it looks like on the wall I've seen some rifles that were ugly enough to scare a buffalo that I wouldn't wanted pointed at me in anger even at 1000 yards.

Everyone on the internet is a top level operator with flawless rifles customized to never ever fail under any condition and shoot .00001 MOA at 1K yards with factory ammo. But they are always to busy to show up at the range and give face to face pointers or share their secrets to success.

Sometimes you have to remember to remind people that Mossberg has always made guns in America, but Remington is just a typewriter company pressed into service to build rifles for the war.

Now they have built a lot of great rifles and have a lot of government support. All that means nothing in the face of reality.

My buddy Bobby hates mossberg's because he bought a Mossberg shotgun that had a problem.

Now Bob is my second oldest living friend. It is partly his influence that let me back into Target shooting and which is prompting me to start reloading my own shotgun shells.

But I took him to the range and put his 1980s Remington 12ga up against my Mossberg 500, and ask him which one he would like to carry all day. They are both good shooters, but the Remington is very heavy by comparison. Because of the extra weight it does punish you less at target shooting, but that's an extra few pounds to carry, which could instead be an extra box of shells you were packing.

It might last longer but then again it costs a lot more. And you could make any gun last longer while making it sturdier and heavier.

Then we put the Mossberg 464 Mariner up against his lever action Winchester 30-30. His Winchester is a nice one, built about 1964.

The Mossberg is much newer, and not perfectly broken in yet, but the Winchester had 4 inches more Barrel than my Mariner carbine.

The Mossberg turned out to be much more accurate at 50 and 100 yards.

It's also lighter than the Winchester, but unfortunately that fact made the Mossberg feel slightly less solid.

I think the lesson here is that if you wanted heavy duty above utility then you would buy a Remington. But if you wanted the fastest and lightest tool for the job you would pick the Mossberg.

I read that again and to me it sounds a bit like the words of a Mossberg snob.

LOL

The truth is that I own two, but 16 other guns which are not Mossbergs.

By and large they are all wonderful guns.

Last edited:
All rifles are different from caliber to caliber in the same manufacturer even two taken off the line in same caliber but it how big the difference is that matters I had a Ruger m77 that shot 180gr round noses so well it wasn't funny mess with charge or col would move point of impact but it still printed tight groups switching to any other weight or shape and it was a 2" gun. Brand of 180 round nose affected it slightly but not buy much. Now if I buy a new rifle and 1 box of factory ammo and it's not accurate I should go to the net and scream that it's cheap junk as loud as I can right. Heard one guy bad mouth Mossberg Patriot for no accuracy someone asked if he tightened scope mounts rings he found that he hadn't tightened rings but that was Mossberg's fault. Oops when it doesn't work I check me first (the nut on the trigger) then anything I touched then look to the gun to find the fault. Usually it's the nut on the trigger or the screwdriver.
Shawn
Sorry about the rant

Talking about comparing rifles as a young man I had only handled 1 leaver action an old marlin in 35 Rem then 1 day I picked up a Winchester 94 and thought it was a toy it was so light but it did shoot as well as the marlin so my quick judgement was wrong.
I don't like the winchesters because that was what I had in my hands when the biggest buck I have ever seen walked up and I didn't know I had to squeeze the leaver to shoot not the rifles fault it was the nut in the trigger.

.....talking above about the Mossberg shotguns.......I use a 505 20 ga because it is the lightest, smallest wood shotgun out there.......I like small, short light guns.....my patriot is a youth syn 308......light, short and easy to carry yet can reach out.

Last edited:
I bought a synthetic stocked .243 Patriot in September of 2015. It immediately became my favorite bolt action rifle. It is a very comfortable gun to carry and shoot. It is rugged, smooth functioning and accurate. I really want to buy another in 2017...perhaps a .22-250 or .308. I don't want to bash other brands but the Patriot takes a back seat to no other economical bolt rifle in my opinion. I sure hope Mossberg keeps them in the lineup for a long long time.

Back