• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why no precision aftermarket parts?

Hi all. New here. Thinking about a Mossberg 500 as a project gun. I'm more of a handgun and rifle guy in my experience so I have to ask...where is the precision aftermarket parts for these? Or rather why not make any? Am I missing something when it comes to things like performance ejectors and trigger groups and shotguns? I'm used to polishing and trigger jobs yet Google shows me little to nothing beyond factory replacement parts and bolt on furniture. Is there some aspect about shotgunning that demands trigger creep and heavy to mid trigger weight? Especially with defensive configurations?

I see you point but outside of slug hunting, I personally don't see a shotgun as a very precise instrument as compared to a rifle or handgun. A shotgun is a do-all tool and many people use the same gun for multiple tasks.

I know there are drop in triggers for Remington 870's but I've not seen them for Mossberg yet. A decent gunsmith can do wonders though if you have a specific need. As shotguns become packaged for more specific tasks, I hope to see some better offering in the future. I'm just not sure there is enough consumer demand yet to make it marketable to the majority of owners.

I've never seen a need to "accurize" a shotgun.

Nor have I experienced terrible triggers or the likes.

And I too have experience with accurizing other platforms, just the various makes and models of shotguns that I own work well enough alone.

I will have to echo what John and MikeD said, the shotgun is a do-it-all firearm... and therefore not really meant for "precision" work. That said... you can certainly make your chances at hitting things at a distance a little easier by maybe installing a sight base with a small red-dot optic, dial in your desired range and preffered slug... I'm sure you could keep the groups within 5" at 50yards, easily.

As for the trigger... it is what it is for me. The problem with coming from a rifle and pistol background first is that you've been used to top standards... excellent drop in AR and bolt action triggers and accessories. I too think my 590A1 trigger could be a little better, but when I weigh the gains I would get from a slightly better trigger over the cost it would take to get me there, I can live with stock. I pull... it goes bang, and that's good enough for me in a HD weapon.

Trying to make a shotgun into something that is considered "Precision"is like trying to make a Framing hammer a precision instrument. :lol:

That is only half of the question. When I say precision I do not mean 'accurizing only', rather, precision aftermarket parts as in make and function. I read about people bending parts to fix shotguns getting bound up or cycling issues. This is more shotgunning issues in general rather than brand or make. But many, many examples exist of superior aftermarket parts being able to reduce or eliminate issues, smooth function, etc in other firearms. Are the tolerances so loose or are the parts so well made that no one can improve on them?

I cannot imagine that being true. Seems more like complacency and lack of exacting seriousness leading to a non existent market. I love taking an affordable and generally reliable firearm and while nothing is perfect, I like to get close and making it better than when it came out of the factory.

My father was able to outfit the 870 with a great permanent french Paradox barrel and trigger assembly at least.

"I'm sure you could keep the groups within 5" at 50yards, easily." True, I get sub 5" groups at 100 yards with that "precision" 870 deer slayer.

Why not the mossbergs trigger? Shotgun factory insurance liability with their 6-10lb trigger pull and their stops in the trigger assembly, can can go to heck. Its what I want.

Don't get me wrong, I understand quite well what you folks mean. Personally, I like even a little smoother action and cycling even if you don't. I like to be able to cycle whatever regardless of differences in factory shell length.

"Trying to make a shotgun into something that is considered "Precision"is like trying to make a Framing hammer a precision instrument. "

Try my 870. But spurious analogies aside manufacturers make framing hammers with aspects such as larger striking faces, magnetic nail holders, non-slip rubber handles, torsion control, lighter or heavier weight materials, milled heads and shafts, skeletonized shafts, hardened steels, titanium, interchangeable heads, etc.

^^ While I agree that there is room for improvement in shotguns, we need to understand the evolution of them. Much of the "mechanical" aspects of pumps and autoloaders is designed to handle a fairly wide range of ammunition - much more than rifles/pistols. Precision in shotguns is found in double guns, which are far more carefully made than pump guns or autos. This is especially true when a pump/auto may be used for hd or hunting depending on the whims of the user. The old axiom of form follows function is epitomized in shotguns.

A double designed for a specific purpose - dove hunting for example - will be far more suited to that task than a general purpose pump such as the Mossberg 590 or your 870.

I think you may be asking for more than what the industry, or the technology, :) can provide.

With a shotgun platform that has been around for 50+ years I highly doubt it's an issue of complacency and seriousness that's leading to a small market for accasories and gear to make the 500 better... it's because it plain works without them. Take recent QC issues with the cartridge stop aside, I haven't heard of many people that complain about the reliability of their mossbergs (or any other factory name shotgun for that matter).

I really think you're comparing apples to oranges when lumping shotguns and rifle platforms into one category and comparing accurizing/reliablity accessories. It's just not the same. I mean... if you want a cromed bolt, internals and barrel... have'm chromed. If you want a better trigger... take it to a smith.

You're gonna have to elaborate on what you want the 500 to do with better aftermarket parts.... other than fire shot through a smoothbore barrel?

And if you're looking for a better trigger in the 500... Mossberg has introdued the LPA trigger in their new flex models... that is user adjustable for your liking.

Donald McRonald said:
Personally, I like even a little smoother action and cycling even if you don't. I like to be able to cycle whatever regardless of differences in factory shell length.

While I understand what you mean, an action tends to get smoother with use.

Nor have I had a problem cycling any shells out there through any of them regardless of brand, and regardless of age whether new or used.

Some people I know speed up the process of "wearing in" a new gun by hand by sanding with 600 or 800 grit paper, or honing with a stone if you don't have the patience to do it behind the trigger.

I have a few shotguns that the action are smooth as butter and the trigger pull is just about as perfect as I would ever expect a factory trigger to be.

Case in point, I have an old stevens 12 gauge that is so smooth, you can point the muzzle up in the air and push the release with your finger and the bolt will open about 3/4 of the way just under its' own weight.

I don't think anyone here has said that any gun can't be improved upon in some way or another, and while this is a Mossberg owners forum, we are not so blind to not able to see or point out any true faults either. Matter of fact, I believe the members here are more than vocal about it.

One thing you may want to stop and really think about though. While many of us like to modify our guns in various ways, a company offering a service or product has to keep their doors open by selling whatever it is they're selling.

Maybe everyone is overlooking the shotgun market, but not many companies out there are marketing precision products for them. Likely, in my opinion, due to lack of demand.

Back