• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wife wants to sell her 12 gauge Mossberg 500

Nick Burkhardt

.270 WIN
My wife wants to sell her Mossberg 500a 18.5” blued finish with black synthetic stock. She has shot my 12 gauge Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader, but her's has never been shot. She is all into pistols now and has lost interest in shotguns, so it just sits in the safe next to mine. She bought it herself for $310 with background check in February and it came with an extra 28" vent ribbed barrel that I want to keep for my Mossberg. I added an Allen Buttstock Shotgun Shell Holder and a HiViz Fiber Optic Sight to go behind of the bead, but those can be removed. I have a Phoenix KickLite stock on mine and got one for her's before she lost interest. I was going to spend another $50 on a tri-rail forend and vertical grip to complete the tactical transformation, but never ordered them.

I am trying to decide if it would sell best “as is” with the one barrel asking $250, or finish tricking it out and ask $350-$400 as a tactical model?

What's "tactical" to one person may be useless to another. I'd sell it as lean as possible with available options if I were to sell it at all. But I'd have a hard time selling a perfectly functional gun these days. Especially one that would bring so little return. You never know when your needs will change. I'd make a hide for that extra shotgun downstairs or somewhere else in your home or even in your truck or give it to a family member who might need it rather than sell it (would make a nice Xmas present). Should be easy to sell though if you do. Sounds like a nice gun. Good luck.

Like I said, she bought it and it is hers to sell. I think she wants the money for Christmas.

All guns stay in the safe when not in use or on person. We can't keep loaded long guns in a vehicle here in Oregon or Washington, too many yahoos like to shoot from the road and ruins it for the real hunters. The kids are too young and other family are across the state line which would require an FFL transfer.

I suppose I could put the ATI five position stock from my Tactical Persuader on it. Then offer to sell "as is" or for more if upgraded to the recoil reducing stock.

What is wrong with keeping 2 500's
I have 4 and 2 of them are 12ga.
They are set up a little different but a 500 makes a great gun to take someone without a shotgun shooting with you.
I must say though mine are not all tacticooled out. Mine are all for shooting things that fly.
Either feathered or made of clay.

Nothing wrong with having two, I think that she just sees it as $250 sitting in the safe that could be put to better use. She bought it for home defense and skeet, but since she never got into it and now that we have my Mossberg plus several pistols, it just sits in the safe.

The only down side to having multiple guns is that they I can't use them all as much as I would like. ;-D

Almost every gun I got rid of because I wasn't using it was regretted later when I came back around to wanting it. But we're all different....

If she's set on selling it Nick, I would just keep it plain jane and sell it locally... then list your accessories here in the FS section... should be able to recoup most of what you put in it.

Nick Burkhardt said:
Maybe she is going to use the money to buy me that Ruger 10/22 Takedown I have been wanting for Christmas.
Now you are thinking! I have 'gun colatteral' - once the money is in the pool that is where it stays.

The advice about accessories is spot on. People will pick their own modifications and sellers seldom to never recoup what is invested in the add-ons. This is especially true in cars and guns!

Selling close to stock and parting out the extras is the better route for a good return.

Back