• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will the Mossberg 500 8 round magazine tube fit a Maverick 88?

Papa D

I know the Maverick 88 can take the Mossberg 500 barrels, but can it take the Mossberg 500 Magazine tubes? I am thinking about changing to an 8 round magazine with 20" Barrel for a home defense setup. Currently have the Walmart special 28" with 5 round magazine. Thanks for any tips.

Good point on the cost.

$100-$150 for the barrel, $35 for the mag tube, and $8 for the spring. Any thoughts on just going with an 18.5" barrel? Bud's has one for sale, $90 and you're done...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ucts_id/46349/Mossberg+500XBL+12g+18"+CB+BEAD

The result will be a lighter, faster, more maneuverable shotgun. Pretty good trade-off for just two less rounds and I figure if the threat persists after 5+1 rounds of 12ga the extra two probably aren't gonna help much either...

Similar question... Are all Mossberg pump mag tubes interchangeable on the receiver end? I understand that a matching barrel would have to be installed.

Well, I just placed on order, from Brownell's the 8 round tube, spring and 20" barrel kit for $99. It is on backorder, but was told it should be in within the month. We'll see. If not, then 18.5" it is.

Hopefully it will come through. FYI Mossberg also has a 20" vent-rib that accepts choke tubes, for the 5rd magazine. I too wanted to use my 88 for home defense, and prefer the hunting barrel to the security barrel.

Back