• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Witness Protection Shotgun

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Thought some of you might be interested in the original "Shockwave type" shotgun used by the U.S. Marshall Service beginning in the mid 1980s. These weapons were designed for the Witness Protection Program and carried under cover of a jacket or trench coat but readily available against a close in threat. They utilized the Remington 870 platform and the cutdown barrel lengths ranged from 12.5 inches to 14.5 inches. The original stock was reshaped to what's called a birdshead very similar to today's Shockwave stock.

One unique feature was the muzzle hand stop to which a quick detach sling was attached (see attached photo). These guns were carried muzzle up under the jacket and when it was deployed the support hand grabbed the weapon and detached the front sling allow presentation from under the jacket. Others were carried without slings especially when utilized in vehicles or overt presentation.
Wilson-Witness-Protection-870-8.jpg
Wilson-Witness-Protection-870-4.jpg

Cool pics and story.

I would add however, whomever cut that barrel down, did so with a pipe cutter. You can clearly see the ring behind the cut where the rollers engaged the barrel, marring the blueing.

More proof however, being cut down from long guns, that the government gives us a completely different set of gun laws to follow than they do.

That gun, in our hands, would be an illegal untaxed national firearms act short barrel shotgun. Complete with a 10 year, $100,000 fine plus lawyer fees and court costs.

John, these original full size 870s were cutdown by Jim Wilson in his shop in Brunswick, Georgia. I'd say the operation was more focused on operational need vice being pretty! See photo. The Marahall Service Armorer was Gene Thompson who did the prototype design.

The sling was an old M-1 sling with it's quick snap which was used on many military pouches include canteen holders.

Wilson-Witness-Protection-870-6-150x150.1511966661.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure you are correct. It's just that you know how I am. Always a perfectionist and don't like taking the easy way out of anything.

Other than that, it actually does look nice. Despite being illegal for use lowly citizens to do ourselves at home.

Sorry for the hijack. It just burns my biscuits.

Looks just like my shockwave when it was in its “nightstick” furniture..I find it interesting that the more current law enforcement models went even shorter, presumably based on the Serbu SuperShorty. Mossberg compact cruiser, I’m looking at you…lol

Last edited:
Where there's a need someone will modify a weapon. I suspect the idea for a this cutdown shotgun might have come from the earlier Vietnam era where Special Operations guys cut down M79 grenade launchers for carry and use for troop in contact engagements. These were carried using 550 cord either over the shouder or attached to the shoulder harness.

These pictures show the original M79 launcher and the SOF version which was modified in the field based on need. Some of the stocks were a little longer and more closely resembled the birdshead.

m79-2.jpegm79_short_450.jpg

Back