• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Won't load shells from mag tube.

12gafun

.270 WIN
I have a Maverick 88, all of sudden it won't load shells from the mag tube. I will rack the slide back & if it does pop out, it will load on top of the elevator & fall out the bottom of the loading chamber instead of getting caught by the elevator to get placed in the chamber.
I did install a Akita butt stock on it, I checked the bolt it's not protruding inside the receiver, I am at my wits end on this. I have tried everything, have disassembled it like several times. I also got a 500 action slide tube assembly & a Magpul forend but it still does it when I even change out the forends back to the original.
I cannot figure it out, the only thing I haven't tried is removing the ATI Akita stock & putting back on the original to see if for some reason that is the cause. I will try that, but if anyone else has any suggestions pleas let me know. Thanks!

look at the action as you rack the slide. The action rod must go over the cartridge stop not behind it to release the round from the magazine.

fix the problem... straighten out the cartridge stop a little bit.

I tried that, didn't work! Replaced the butt stock, tried original forend assembly. It wants to feed backwards. I can get it to work correctly only if I really rack the slide really hard, I mean hard. I have tried everything still cannot get it to work!
This makes my 2nd Mossberg shotgun that has taken a shit on me. I am about to give up on shotguns.

20160827_160436.jpg 20160827_160453.jpg 20160827_160659.jpg

mossberg_cartridge_stop-1.gif

I know but it's not doing it correctly for some reason, I have tried everything suggested, still will not chamber a round correctly!

Well for some reason my left side arm isn't pressing in on that Cartridge stop correctly. Not sure why but it isn't

Well just emailed Mossberg, will see what they want to do, I will probably have to send in the shotgun.

Well for some reason my left side arm isn't pressing in on that Cartridge stop correctly. Not sure why but it isn't

I would take the gun apart and give it a real good cleaning. While you have it apart take a good look at the action slide arms, on both the original one and the replacement one you got. Look for bent arms.
Also make sure there isn't any gunk behind the cartridge stop.

Well just emailed Mossberg, will see what they want to do, I will probably have to send in the shotgun.

Well if you wind up sending it in,,,,please keep us posted on the outcome.

I did the cleaning thing, that was the first thing I did, to me if you look into the receiver even before I installed the new action assembly, it looks like the shotgun has been beating the hell out of itself. I didn't shoot it today with the new action assembly cause I noticed that since I got conned & got one of those crappy as Promag assemblies, after I installed the Magpul forend, one of the arms pin came loose & broke, so that came off & installed the original action slide & hit the range then it started to mess up again. I was having issues with this shotgun from day one, I did put he original butt stock back on it, that didn't change anything.
Just want to say thanks for the replies, & I sure will report the repair status on here for ya all.

Well I know what is the problem, I have read that some Maverick 88 & certain 500 Mossberg shotguns have gotten a bad batch of heat treated off spec cartridge stop & interrupters installed in some of the 2013-2014 shotguns, I read this on a web search on another forum so not sure how much truth is behind this, I have also talked so some on Facebook groups that have had the same issue, I have tried to reshape the cartridge stop but it seems to just loose shape after a few rounds through the shotty. I am going to ask Mossberg if they can send me some new parts first to seem if that corrects the feeding issue if not then I will send it back into them.

Well I know what is the problem, I have read that some Maverick 88 & certain 500 Mossberg shotguns have gotten a bad batch of heat treated off spec cartridge stop & interrupters installed in some of the 2013-2014 shotguns, I read this on a web search on another forum so not sure how much truth is behind this, I have also talked so some on Facebook groups that have had the same issue, I have tried to reshape the cartridge stop but it seems to just loose shape after a few rounds through the shotty. I am going to ask Mossberg if they can send me some new parts first to seem if that corrects the feeding issue if not then I will send it back into them.

intertasding

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/ind...e-stopper-qc-issue-for-pump-actions-ftf.8835/

or
look at the action as you rack the slide. The action rod must go over the cartridge stop not behind it to release the round from the magazine.

fix the problem... straighten out the cartridge stop a little bit.

Well contacted Mossberg going to send me a new Cartridge stop & interrupt. Said it should be here by the end of this week. I will try the new parts first & if this doesn't work I will return the shotty back to Mossberg for repairs.

I have also already tried all the suggestion everyone has stated, it just seems that my cartridge stop I interrupter is just so far out of spec, I get it bent just right starts to work then after a few full mags through it just messes up again. like the they get bent out of shape again. Also each time the slide arm is always going in front never behind the cartridge stop. I will get it working like I stated, then also it won't hold all 7-8 shells in the mag tube, the cartridge stop won't hold the spring pressure of a fully loaded mag tube. Then the shells start ejecting out of timing, with just the recoil of the first shot. I hope these new parts solve the issue, that way I don't need to send in the shotgun, but if not I will send it back. This makes my 2nd Mossberg shotgun that I have had issues with out of box. Well every shotgun I have owned has been a lemon even that Remington 870 that I had.
Guess I am not to have a shotgun lol.

Last edited:
Well contacted Mossberg going to send me a new Cartridge stop & interrupt. Said it should be here by the end of this week. I will try the new parts first & if this doesn't work I will return the shotty back to Mossberg for repairs.

The parts may still be out of spec. I've seen it happen before... (ie me). Seriously just bend the cartridge stopper in a straighter position if it is still out of spec. Takes a little bit of elbow grease because those parts are pretty solid. That should fix the problem.

I'm a big advocate of fixing it yourself if you have the means. Hate mailing my guns out unless I have to.

The parts may still be out of spec. I've seen it happen before... (ie me). Seriously just bend the cartridge stopper in a straighter position if it is still out of spec. Takes a little bit of elbow grease because those parts are pretty solid. That should fix the problem.

I'm a big advocate of fixing it yourself if you have the means. Hate mailing my guns out unless I have to.

I am the same way, that is why I asked for new parts first. I have bent that Cartridge stop every way I could, I even compared it to a 590's cartridge stop. Mossberg did seem like they where aware of this issue happening with Mossberg shotguns made in the same serial # year as mine.

Well got the new parts look a lot better than the ones that came with the shotgun. I got them within a week ordered Monday received Thursday I was amazed at how fast they got those parts out to me. So far it seems that these new parts are working well, I have yet to shoot it but feeds the snap caps I got perfectly.

Well I got to the range today, trying out those new parts. Worked great, shells feed well, still having some issues with those Winchester White box shells. They stick in the chamber, I have tried to polish the chamber a bit more hopefully this got it. I compared those new parts with the ones that came with it, the news ones look better quality. The metal even feels different. They sent me the Cartridge stop & the interrupter.

Reactions: CAF
Good to see you're getting it worked out. For what it's worth, many of us have the same issue with those Winchester shells. They tend to stick regardless of the gun...

Back