• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wood Furniture Project on my M500 6 Shot Pursuader

Jmm14534

20g
Premier Member
I saw a couple of pictures of Mossy shot guns with wood furniture on a thread entitled "the evolution of my 590 shout gun" by Glaushaus. The look was great so I decided to put a set on my M500.

My 8 shot M500 pursuader and M590A1 Blackwater where already tricked out to my satisfaction and I didn't want to mess with them So I purchased a sweet little M500 6 shot pursuader for the project. This attached photo is the M500 out of the box. I must admit it's fine just the way it is and I really like the feel of it. A sweet little shooter and a great home defense option.

I purchased a set of wood furniture (stock and forend from Numrich). $50 bucks without shipping. I stripped them and then sanded them down with 220 grit sandpaper. I'm deciding on a finish at the moment.

This is a before pic.

image.jpeg

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the finished product.
I did something similar for my wife's 20g.... She loves purple so I set out for another wood set and stained the wood furniture in purple and now thats her favorite gun. Lol.
Cant wait to see your outcome.

Bought a wood set from a member/moderator here (aksavanaman) who lives in Alaska to go on my duty carry 590.

Wood

Look

Is

AWESOME

So is the 500-series Mossberg pump shotgun (and so is another duty gun you get to sneak a peek at). Guess it shows that I am a fan of wood furniture.

The third long gun does not sport wood.... darn it. Did I just say "sport wood" out loud????

Can't wait to see the pics that the OP has in store!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Op thanks for the shout out and glad I could inspire you. Also glad to see Numrich still has M500 wood stock sets. Looking forward to seeing the outcome! Nitesite, I recognize your wood stock 590 and Scout from postings on another forum, your 590 might have inspired me to refinish mine!

I'm almost finished. The last coating of boiled linseed oil is drying (~10 days). Below is a picture of the wood furniture.

100_5289.JPG

I've purchased a few additional accessories.
1 - GG&G rear sling attachment
1 - AirTech Limbsaver Recoil Pad
1 - Uncle Mike's Front Magazine Tube Sling attachment

Below is a pic of the original out of the box shotgun with black plastic furniture.

100_5286.JPG
Still need to disassemble the original, clean it thoroughly and then reassemble with the new wood stock and forend.

I'll probably finish this next weekend. I'll post some pictures when it's complete.

Yummy. That is going to look sooooooo good.

Almost ready. I'll have pictures on the weekend. I may even shoot it on Sunday if all goes well. Slugs and milk jugs full of water. So much fun!

A couple of snags I ran into.

The barrel on the out of the box mossy was freakin dirty. I could not believe how dirty it was for a new shotgun. Not a big deal just more time spent cleaning. Point is - always clean you brand new shotgun!

The other issue I ran into was with the factory bolt that attaches the stock to the receiver. When I added the GG&G rear sling mount between the stock and receiver the bolt was dangerously short. A quick trip to the hardware store for a longer bolt and some washers took career of it.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are almost there! Plenty of pics please.:)

One thing I would check is the length of the new bolt you are using for the stock. Just for the heck of it take out the trigger assembly and make sure the new bolt is not too long. It dosen't take much to interfere with the trigger assembly.;)

One thing I would check is the length of the new bolt you are using for the stock. Just for the heck of it take out the trigger assembly and make sure the new bolt is not too long. It dosen't take much to interfere with the trigger assembly.;)

Very excellent point.

I second this! I learned this the hard way. :oops: When I used to have an ATI stock, I didn't have the right spacer in when putting it on for the first time. The bolt went thru too far, hit the trigger, and broke the tab on the trigger for the safety.

Say hello to my new little friend!!

100_5290.JPG
100_5292.JPG
100_5293.JPG
100_5294.JPG
100_5295.JPG
100_5296.JPG
100_5297.JPG

Slugs and jugs tomorrow at the range.

I checked the new bolt I installed to attached the wood stock and it's OK. I must have put on the right amount of washers. The tip of the bolt does not sit proud of the receiver nut on the trigger guard side - all is good. Thanks for the tip Old Mossy.

I need to decide on a sling. Single point, double or a combination single/double. I may add a slip on shell caddy on the stock but it looks so freaking cool as is I don't want to take away from the old school look;)

I'll post a shot of all 4 of my mossy's once I can get them together at the range. Yes I said 4 - it's a sickness:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a wood set from a member/moderator here (aksavanaman) who lives in Alaska to go on my duty carry 590.

Wood

Look

Is

AWESOME

So is the 500-series Mossberg pump shotgun (and so is another duty gun you get to sneak a peek at). Guess it shows that I am a fan of wood furniture.

The third long gun does not sport wood.... darn it. Did I just say "sport wood" out loud????

Can't wait to see the pics that the OP has in store!!!!!!!!
With those two beauties why do you need a third! Love the M1A.

I was at the range yesterday and ran into a snag. I loaded up and I found that I could only put 2 in the magazine tube and 1 in the chamber????

The old magazine tube stroke limiter. I totally forgot to remove this during the build. I'm not sure if this is a NY state thing or they all come from the factory like this now. The last Mossy I purchased (590A1) did not have one.

The shotgun performed very well and I'll post some more pics once I get the file size down.

Back