• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

You CAN make slug reloads in just a couple hours

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Guys, if you have been on the fence about getting into shotgun reloading BUT buying slug ammo for your 12-ga is really eating into your budget I'm here to say that for an initial outlay of about $195 you can get equipped with the hardware to be making your own. And it will shoot just as well, or better, than the general use slug ammo we purchase for practice/range use!

For the cost of forty 5-rd boxes of store bought slugs (presuming that you can scrounge up some scrap lead) it's very possible that you can sever your need to go to a store to get the ammo you need.

All you need to get started is a $12 hot plate and an old stainless steel (or cast iron) deep sauce pan.

And a $35 Lee slug mould.

Add a Lee Load-All press for under $100 (used) plus a $15 Lee or Lyman or RCBS pouring ladle.

Should run you under $200.

Okay, I didn't include the consummables such as buying a big 500-ct bag of wads for about ten bucks. Or Smokeless Powder that might run $25, and of course primers that will go $50 for a thousand.

But heck, it's like golf. Like the "hardware" to reload ammo, it takes a bit of money to initially get clubs and shoes. The balls and greens fees are totally up to you depending on your interest and drive to play! Or fishing equipment: having rods and reels is good but to keep fishing you need hooks and line and bait, right?

A very good friend of mine has been loading his own 1-0z slugs for a while and I was able to borrow his slug mould recently. I found it very easy to make good slugs with just a pouring ladle and a pot of molten lead. These took me less than an hour to make while enjoying the morning on my front porch....

oli_slugs_2_zpsf1d5b273.jpg

Thank You, oli~~~

Of course, if you've acquired the hardware and powder and wads and primers, then instead of pouring your 1-oz slugs you can just buy a bag of chilled shot and make hunting loads instead of slug rounds! Granted, the 100-rd Value packs at the store are going to be just as cheap as your reloaded pellet rounds would be, but you would have some independence from the shortages on the store shelves that befall us every now and then!

And if you move away from the cheap Value Pack #8 or #7.5 dove loads and instead buy a 25# bag of #6 or #5 shot to stuff in your picked up hulls for rabbit or pheasant then you won't have to buy those $12/25 high-brass boxes at Wal-mart or BassPro or Cabelas or your LGS. And you're saving money all over again!

oli700 said:
I cant wait for you to shoot them, load up any yet ?

I'm a gonna get the MEC 650 or Sizemaster 77 fired up sometime tomorrow afternoon if things go right. I have to visit my son 50-miles away and also try to buy a black powder rifle FTF (face to face) if I am fortunate enough to close the deal.

Man.... 40-grains of Blue Dot sounds really frightening but I am not skeert. You say it's good then that's all I need to hear.

Better than good. And to put any question to rest, the aa12R is the same wt as the original aa12 so that’s a wash. The original data called for 49 grains of BD. I took out 9 grains and added the nitro card under the slug. So as you know the Nitro weight is next to nothing plus I reduced the load by like 18% or so it is well within the safe zone. I didn’t even mess with the load after that because they were more accurate than the 49 grain load without the nitro card and still plenty stout, not low recoil. The 49 grain loads were a little on the punishing side but they would lay wait to a pissed bear

My pard,

You told me it was good weeks ago. That is all I needed to hear. Explainations and details are largely falling on deaf ears.

You know what I mean.

Thanks for sharing; I need to stop putting this off and just order the supplies. Let us know how they shoot.

Apologies but I only signed up to the forum today. An interesting thread.

I would definately recommend reloading shotgun ammo, especially slugs. They cost 1 Euro 20 cents a bang here..............ouch !

What I do is buy some 12 gauge RIO 20 brand 32 gram birdshot cartridges or some Fiocchi 28 gram Birdshot cartridges at 4.50 Euro a box of 25. The plaswads in these are compatible with the following method I use.

Whilst sitting in front of the TV I break open the star crimps with long nosed pliers and empty the lead shot into a container. Along with some extra lead I mould this into 1oz Lee slugs and 1oz round balls with a mould made by Jeff Tanner in England.

The round balls are .670 of an inch in diameter, the same as the Lee slugs........ mas o menos.

Then you insert them into the fully intact shot cup in the standard plaswad. They are a perfect fit. The round balls are easier to insert.

Put the shell in the Lee Loadall press and re-star crimp. JOB DONE !

This way when fired the slug / ball stays inside the plaswad which acts like a sabot. My 25 and 50 metre groups with open sights are very good, certainly as good as expensive factory slugs !

I have a roll turnover tool for a drill enroute from the U.K, so I am quite keen to try that too !

So for 4.50 Euro and a bit time and effort I get a box of 25 very accurate slugs.

oli700 said:
you might like this thread
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7475

cool avatar......but it should be Pip....lol

Pip..........ha ha.........yeah I get it, the accent would be similar but Cartman is waaaaaaaaaay cooler !

Very interesting thread thanks for that. Spookily enough I have a piece of cut down plastic tube just like that to trim down the shell for when I get my roll turnover tool.

When you trim the cases up with a craft knife using that tube as a guide they look like they have been done on a lathe.

Back