• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (Compstock,Fatbead,ETC)

ZombieHunterD

.270 WIN
Hey guys. So I had a budget of $350-$375 for a gun plus recoil pad. This guns primary function was for shooting dove, secondary function would be Home Defense and range gun. I was looking to possibly get a Turkey Thug 500. Deciding to take my time and not rush into a purchase, i waited. During that time I came across a never used M500 JIC for $150!!! Needless to say I bought it, and for less than half my budget. Technically I bought it for $135 because i sold the pistol grip for $15.
So now im going to make a log of everything i install or buy for this gun. Once ive used the upgrades ill review if they work and how they hold up. And since im on a budget im trying to find the cheapest prices i can without buying junk.

Heres the shotgun when i first got it home. Thing was covered in packing grease, and that stuff smells funky, the jic tube is a big stink bomb since it has that smell in it. lol
IMAG0073.jpg

ITEM: UTG Picatinny Rail
PRICE: $6.99
PURCHASED FROM: Amazon
TOOLS USED Hex wrench, Blue thread lock, 1/8" slot screwdriver

This was a pretty straightforward install, no issues. 1/8 screw driver to remove thread screws from reciever. Provided hex wrench to attach mount. Added some thread lock to keep screws from coming loose. I think it looks good for $7.
SAM_0148.jpg

SAM_0131.jpg

SAM_0157.jpg

SAM_0171.jpg

SAM_0165.jpg

ITEM: Knoxx Compstock
PRICE: $82.99
PURCHASED FROM: OpticsPlanet
TOOLS USED
Forend- Butter knife, End of a broom
Stock- 1/4" hex, skinny long screwdriver, extra tools due to bolt issue 1/2"socket/extension/rachet
SAM_0152.jpg
SAM_0153.jpg

SAM_0132.jpg

SAM_0138.jpg

Forend-
Luckily my m500 had the new forearm design, so i didnt have to order anything extra. I had my gun completely broke down since i had cleaned it. Using the butter knife i removed the nut from the forearm. I looked around everywhere in my house and found that the broom stick handle was a perfect fit to put inside the forearm tube to pull the original off. The new Houge forearm slipped right on without issue. I really like the feel of this forearm, its got a nice rubber texture. Really easy to grip.
SAM_0139.jpg

SAM_0166.jpg

SAM_0170.jpg

Stock-
WARNING, PISTOL GRIP OWNERS WILL NEED STANDARD LENGTH STOCK BOLT

First problem i came across is the fact they dont provide a bolt in the kit, so you have to use factory stock bolt. Well for pistol grip owners its a problem, not a big one though. If you contact Mossberg they will send out the bolt for free. So just make sure you call Mossberg when you order your stock and your good. Since i wanted to get it together i went and bought a bolt to use until i get mine in the mail. Besides that, easy install, no issues, the instructions included are step by step. You will need a long skinny screwdriver to secure one of the screws. Also I added alittle tetra gun grease to the rail that the stock rides on.
SAM_0142.jpg

SAM_0143.jpg

SAM_0147.jpg

SAM_0168.jpg

SAM_0167.jpg

Im very happy by the finished product. This basically is the Houge stock with Knoxx recoil system fit into the back. I think I read the LOP is 13.5", I could be wrong. But it shoulders me perfectly. Feels really comfortable, and when i pull the gun towards my shoulder the stock does move. Its going to be interesting to see how it feels when shooting. I wont be able to get this bad boy out until about 3 weeks when my Winchester ranger 00 buckshot and Federal LE truball Slugs come in the mail. Ill be sure to post my findings after my trip to the range.
SAM_0172.jpg

I was just about done with the post when my wife walked in with the mail and this came in, i barely paid for it on wed!

ITEM: SightMark Mini Shot Green Dot
PRICE: $56.80
PURCHASED FROM: Ebay
TOOLS USEDHex wrench to install battery

I got this for a great price off ebay. Never used. I was looking for a decent red dot and LazyEyedSniper has one and said he hasnt had any issues. So i went ahead and looked for one. This thing is tiny, but it doesnt feel cheap at all. Opened the box, installed the provided battery. Just have to remove two small bolts to take the mounting plate off, pop that battery in, install plate and your done. I had no problem fitting this to my cheap rail. The dot is very bright. Cant wait to use this with some slugs.
SAM_0194.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

SAM_0183.jpg

SAM_0181-1.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

I had alot of fun installing these things last night. It was fun trying to figure out ways to make the installs work. Especially taking the forearm off with a broomstick, lol.
I cant take all the credit, i had acouple friends helping me out that night.
SAM_0175.jpg

Next things i plan to do for sure are,
-Possibly do a light polishing of the internals, ill have to look up info on that, plus its a cheap mod
-Install a heatshield, love how they look
-Find a used 26"/28" barrel for cheap along with some highviz sights
After these then we'll see.

Thanks for reading, I will do updates on all the products after light and heavy use.

Re: ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (PICS)

Also, i have a coupon good for $15 off a $150 purchase from opticsplanet.com if anyone wants it
880353B

Thanks for the details Sir!

I've been assisted by Mr. Jameson on an occasion or twelve myself... :D

BTW, I noticed your avatar and I happen to be wearing a related t-shit today...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Very nice, one of my fav movies. Guess the Jameson relates to that too.

KentuckyWindage said:
Nice build so far! I will give you a pass on the bourbon since you are from Texas! :lol:
Thanks. Yeah i switched from tequila to bourbon/whiskey. Jack and Jameson are my usual suspects. But i do have a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, MakersMark and Evan Williams SB. I can never drink scotch, all i taste is old leather

ZombieHunterD said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Very nice, one of my fav movies. Guess the Jameson relates to that too.

Yup, I'm an Irish kid with family in Galway...

KentuckyWindage said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Hey now, I resemble that remark...
Ok, ok LES you get a pass too.... :lol: us KY folk are biased to our bourbon lol ..Iam just joking

If it makes you feel any better I'm sippin on some Booker's this evening.

GOD bless Kentucky bourbon... :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
KentuckyWindage said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Hey now, I resemble that remark...
Ok, ok LES you get a pass too.... :lol: us KY folk are biased to our bourbon lol ..Iam just joking

If it makes you feel any better I'm sippin on some Booker's this evening.

GOD bless Kentucky bourbon... :D
Mmmm...bookers is very nice neat. Iam slumming it tonight with JB 7 seven year....makers mark is on short supply so Iam rationing it lately.

Maker's had me worried there for a bit!

I settled down with some JB Devil's Cut, but picked up some Booker's on Friday and have been feeling a little spoiled since...

KentuckyWindage said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yup, I'm an Irish kid with family in Galway...
Dang man....road trip???? I love me some guinness!!!...sorry for the thread hi jack

No hijack,

My Pop and I have a trip planned for next Summer.

You're welcome to join KW. The more the merrier...

Nice build so far, thanks for the info, pics, and tips. I'll soon be installing the Hogue forend and 12" LOP stock on my 500, so the broomstick trick in particular will come in handy for my boomstick. :mrgreen:

So far you're well under budget, I'm looking forward to updates on the performance and further mods.

As far as the beverages go, I'm better off sticking to my Sam Adams, especially if I want to get anything done. :lol:

Kadelic- Glad my post will help you out. If you have any questions on the forend swap feel free to ask me. Im sure you have the newer one, but make sure there isnt a visible pin going through your forearm. If there is, you will have to get and adapter so the houge forearm can fit. I tried to find a pic of one, but im tired and it didnt work out. lol
I think im going to like the Houge stock on mine, it feels really good. Cant wait to shoot her. Im pretty sure your going to like yours too.

ZombieHunterD said:
Kadelic- Glad my post will help you out. If you have any questions on the forend swap feel free to ask me. Im sure you have the newer one, but make sure there isnt a visible pin going through your forearm. If there is, you will have to get and adapter so the houge forearm can fit. I tried to find a pic of one, but im tired and it didnt work out. lol
I think im going to like the Houge stock on mine, it feels really good. Cant wait to shoot her. Im pretty sure your going to like yours too.

You bet I will, and yep, I have the new version. After seeing your post I went to the Hogue website and they have a picture of the pinned forend and what you'd need if you had one.

05032L_05.jpg

nice work, I had no idea the the Comp was a modified Hogue.....very cool

Kadelic- Where and how much are you picking up the short lop houge setup for?

Oli-I didnt realize either until i noticed pics of it when i was doing research. Minute i found that out, it was a sure thing for me.

Is that the price with shipping cause I saw it on opticsplanet for afew bucks cheaper w/free shipping. I ordered my compstock from them Saturday night and it got to me by Friday. Really quick service, I'd def buy from them again. If you have a buddy that needs something you could order together and use the coupon I posted lol.

Back