• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (Compstock,Fatbead,ETC)

Re: ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (PICS)

So I ordered a fatbead sight to replace the standard gold bead. Main reason was i was having trouble picking the bead up with the utg rail i have on it. This sight did everything i needed it to. It was easy install. Original bead came off very easily with needle nose vise grips. Then i mounted the new sight, and kept removing it and filing off the end of the thread until it was flush with the barrel ID. I can pick this sight up very quickly, even with the rail. I went and ahead and got the green because its my favorite color. But mainly, because i heard the green was best in the general conditions i was going to be using it for than red. But the red, does look pretty sexy. Bought this on amazon for $13 shipped.

SAM_0201.jpg

SAM_0209.jpg

SAM_0212.jpg

SAM_0210.jpg

Tried to get acouple pics looking down the barrel, didnt come out too great

Re: ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (Compstock,Fatbead,ETC

Nice!

How much has your POA/POI shifted now that you're looking over the rear rail?

LES- I havent taken it out with the new sight yet. Installed it friday when i got it in the mail. This past wed i was in a car accident and my back is still abit sore. Wont be able to shoot it until next weekend. Which sucks, but its st patty's today, so my back wont hold me back from that. lol

Nick- For a mossberg your going to want the 5-40. All the places i checked out had the same sized bead in green or red. I dont know if there are different sizes available, but i bought the one commonly found at the sites looked at.

Man sorry to see that bro, but glad you're ok.

Take your time get'n better and keep us posted on your back...

LES- Thanks, ill def be relaxing when im not working. But nothing is going to stop me from shooting this weekend. Except a zombie apocalypse happens or an unexpected funeral. Plan to shoot both m500s, my px4, a buddies ak47 and ar15.

Ive been wanting a heatshield, and decided to try a cheap metal shield i found on amazon for $19.95 shipped. Its made by Ultimate Arms Gear, figured id try this cheap one just to see if its any good. If not ill just get a blued mossy shield. It went on easy enough, Just had the bend the tabs to fit tighter, and shave a hair of the inside of the forearm since it was rubbing. Im not to sure how i feel about it. Its new so it may or may not grow on me. The real deciding factor will be this weekend and how it stands up to recoil.
The pistol grip m500 is my brothers, shooting his is what made up my mind i wanted a mossberg. But i went compstock over the tactical stock due to the fact im right handed and i cant hit the pump release. Hes a lefty so its good for him. Both are knoxx stocks. And yeah, he has alittle rust on his lol.

SAM_0226.jpg

SAM_0222.jpg

SAM_0232.jpg

SAM_0245.jpg

SAM_0241.jpg

SAM_0244.jpg

ZombieHunterD said:
LES- I havent taken it out with the new sight yet. Installed it friday when i got it in the mail. This past wed i was in a car accident and my back is still abit sore. Wont be able to shoot it until next weekend. Which sucks, but its st patty's today, so my back wont hold me back from that. lol

Nick- For a mossberg your going to want the 5-40. All the places i checked out had the same sized bead in green or red. I dont know if there are different sizes available, but i bought the one commonly found at the sites looked at.

Feel better soon ZombieHunterD.

Which heat shield do you like better?

My HiViz Plain Barrel Fiber Optic Shotgun Sight http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002INN3G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was just delivered. I'll have to install it when I get home.

Re: ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (PICS)

KentuckyWindage said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yup, I'm an Irish kid with family in Galway...
Dang man....road trip???? I love me some guinness!!!...sorry for the thread hi jack

I guess we can all go then. My uncle owns a bar in Navan, my cousin one in Dungarvan.

Now back on topic...

Zombie did you take the Sightmark off and put the tru glow on for a reason? Just wondering because I have the SightMark on my 500 and love it.

nick-Thanks buddy. Ive seen those sights, i considered that one too. But prefer something that screws in. As far as the heatshield goes, im starting to like the look of this one. The metal has a kind of purplish tint to it under the light and is too shiny. Once i sandblast and flat black it, I think it will look alot better. I bought the HS due to the fact ive always liked the look of them. Once i take it out this weekend for some shooting ill see how much i really like it. If it stays put under recoil, then ill say I like this one better. Especially since im getting the look, without the weight of the oem HS and the better build than a plastic one.
After my trip to the range this weekend ill be giving my opinions on all my mods ive done. Only have shot this setup minus the fatbead and HS with #4 buck and birdshot and the stock worked very well. Ill be shooting 00 buck, 2 3/4 and 3 in slugs.

han- No, my sightmark will be on my m500. It was off in the pics due to me installing the HS and didnt wanna bang it around by accident. I got the fatbead due to the fact that i couldnt see the gold bead over my rail very well. ANd I wanted something better in case i ever had a issue with my minishot or the battery dies when i need it most.

On a similar note, does anyone know if mossberg sells their heatshield mounting hardware separately?

SAM_0210.jpg

Do you have to tilt the end of the barrel up to see your sight over the rail?

I am wondering if you can use a spacer to raise the FatBead up above the barrel a few millimeters?

that was the best i could do taking the pics by myself. If i have a cheek weld to the stock looking down the barrel through the rail i can see about 90% of the fatbead, but 100% of the fiberoptic section of the sight. As far as the spacer goes, if you find a perfect one, you could raise the sight 1/32" to 1/16" higher keeping the right amount of thread going into the barrel. You probably wouldnt have to shave any excess thread off the sight to make it flush with the inside of the barrel. Or atleast that was how much room i wouldve had with the sight i installed.

The fatbead meets all my needs. Plus i would need a gunsmith to install a sight like that on my barrel. And im not dishing out the cash for that lol.

I was going to wait until after my trip to the range on sunday to paint the heatshield i recently bought. But staring at it all week, it got to me and i had to do it. It has a glossy finish with a weird tint of purple under light. Just not my cup of tea. So i went to walmart and found rustoleum high heat for bbq pits. I was actually looking between that one and the rustoleum high temp engine bay paint. Chose this one due to it being $3 opposed to $7, still can withstand way more heat than my barrel will ever dish out. Plus it says it has a protective enamel which i didnt see on the automotive version. First thing i did was use pliers and slightly bend the HS to better form to the barrel. Since i was going to repaint it i didnt care about scratching it. Once that was done I sandblasted it so the paint would adhere better than sanding, plus alot easier. Then i hung it and sparayed it with a few coats. Very easy, and i REALLY prefer the flat look over glossy. The best thing is i did all this during work so i was on the clock while working on something for my gun. LOL

SAM_0217.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

SAM_0249.jpg

SAM_0253.jpg

SAM_0257.jpg

I always thought about doing this, and did a quick search about it, alot of people consider this the "poormans parkerized"

I always thought about doing this, and did a quick search about it, alot of people consider this the "poormans parkerized"[/quote]

Yeah I really wish I could Parkerize my 500, but I am not going to dish out the cash for it either. your build looks good though!

That looks great! I kind of want a heat shield on my 500 but it's either that or the light mount. Maybe I need another Mossberg... :D

Kadelic said:
That looks great! I kind of want a heat shield on my 500 but it's either that or the light mount. Maybe I need another Mossberg... :D

I run a heat sheild with a mounted flashlight.

Thanks guys.

If I found a really good deal on a long barrel or m88/m500 with a whole bunch on surface rust I would probably do the poor man's parkerized on it. But for that application I would use the high heat engine stuff for the fact that it would probably do better with oil and cleaners. If it can handle engine degreaser it should be.good for our stuff. But I would def bake the first 2 coats minimum. Luckily I work at a shop that has a blast booth and a oven. But as luck would have it my dad has a powdercoating company so I have many options and resources.

Since I was small Ive always like the look of a heatshield on a shotgun. I've seen afew people mount a hs and light. Check out the accessories sticky thread afew pages back.

Back