• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (Compstock,Fatbead,ETC)

Re: ZombieHunterD's M500 Budget Build (Compstock,Fatbead,ETC

,,,,nice work ZombieHunterD! :)

ThaGooch said:
I run a heat sheild with a mounted flashlight.

Cool, which light mount do you have? The Elzetta light mount I have clamps right where the heat shields I've seen clamp. I guess I'm only limiting myself by my imagination.

ZombieHunterD said:
IMG_4729.jpg

lol Star of David scratching into the cover??? Interesting :p
Great looking build and great way of displaying everything! Pictures are always welcome!! :D

ZombieHunterD said:
I was going to wait until after my trip to the range on sunday to paint the heatshield i recently bought. But staring at it all week, it got to me and i had to do it. It has a glossy finish with a weird tint of purple under light. Just not my cup of tea. So i went to walmart and found rustoleum high heat for bbq pits. I was actually looking between that one and the rustoleum high temp engine bay paint. Chose this one due to it being $3 opposed to $7, still can withstand way more heat than my barrel will ever dish out. Plus it says it has a protective enamel which i didnt see on the automotive version. First thing i did was use pliers and slightly bend the HS to better form to the barrel. Since i was going to repaint it i didnt care about scratching it. Once that was done I sandblasted it so the paint would adhere better than sanding, plus alot easier. Then i hung it and sparayed it with a few coats. Very easy, and i REALLY prefer the flat look over glossy. The best thing is i did all this during work so i was on the clock while working on something for my gun. LOL

SAM_0217.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

SAM_0249.jpg

SAM_0253.jpg

SAM_0257.jpg

I always thought about doing this, and did a quick search about it, alot of people consider this the "poormans parkerized"

Zombie what heat is that I went looking (and I don't mind the "poor mans parkerize") but everything I found was crazy expensive.

Sent from My iPhone using Tapatalk

So i finally went to the range today, but it wasnt the best day over here. It was super windy and both of my close range shotgun targets flew away after taking acouple shots of 00 buck. I was hoping to do a pattern test with the various buck shot i had, but that was a no go. THe guy next to me didnt even shoot his target once before it flew away! Sucks. The rifle range was way too crowded for me to do some slug testing after the buck shot. But i did get to shoot a box of winchester super x before close, it was too dark though, i didnt do to well with the slugs, but ill have to try them when its not windy, busy and theres more light. I did however get to have some fun on the pistol range with my px4 40 cal. Shot various ammo. Winchester white box being the best in 165 and 180 grain. Much to my surprise I was pretty impressed with the 3 boxes of tulammo i shot. I will admit that between the 3 boxes the loads varied. Some were stronger than others. I also shot american eagle which is good. But the worst ammo is acadamys monarach ammo. That stuff is so underpowered it was a joke. Even though it was underpowered, the px4 which uses some of the recoil to operate still functioned without fail.
Even though i didnt get to zero in my green dot here is opinion of some of my mods

Compstock- Even though my targets flew away, the range officer said i could still shoot in the direction of the target. So i went ahead and shot a box of full power winchester military 00, remington 00/0, and winchester ranger 00. Ive shot my brothers 500w/recoil reducing spec ops stock before, so I kind of had an idea of how the recoil was going to feel. Much to my surprise, the felt recoil on the compstock felt alot better than my brothers. Not sure if his is gen 1 or 2. The recoil on the buckshot was VERY manageable. With this stock i could run full power 00 buck for a shotgun course and not have any discomfort issues. That being said, the winchester ranger ammo is a LE reduced recoil 9 pellet round. Shooting this felt slightly stronger than a heavy bird load from a standard stock. Even though i didnt get to pattern test, my 500 will be ready to serve the Ranger ammo to any hungry badguys that may come into my house.lol The grip and stock are very comfortable to me, im not a big guy, 5'9, 170 lbs, i dont have really long arms. Im very happy with this stock. Birdshot isnt an issue for me at all, but with this, dove shooting is going to be a cake walk. And I had no problems with the cheek slap that some people report on these and the spec op stocks.

Heatshield- The heat shield did move a inch forward from the recoil. Not sure if it happened during the buck shot or slugs. But it didnt cause me any malfunctions due to snagging the pump action/forend. I figure ill try to contact mossberg and see if they sell the plastic spacer separately that comes with the oem HS. If not, or they take too long to respond, which will most likely be the cause im going to try and just make my own out of some sort of plastic or stiff/hardened rubber. Since my brothers 500 has the oem HS ill be able to use his as a template for my diy one. I just have the figure out what i can use, and cheap at that.

I really cant comment on the fatbead or green dot since i didnt get to use them much.

Itsricmo said:
lol Star of David scratching into the cover??? Interesting :p
Great looking build and great way of displaying everything! Pictures are always welcome!! :D
I dont know who put that on there, either my bro or his friend. Unless its an omen!!!
Thanks, i try to take pics when i can. Im not doing anything new that someone else hasnt done before, but seeing pics is always fun

old mossy said:
,,,,nice work ZombieHunterD! :)
Thanks alot

hanoverfiste said:
Zombie what heat is that I went looking (and I don't mind the "poor mans parkerize") but everything I found was crazy expensive.
If your asking about which heatshield its the ultimate arms HS i found on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFH ... UTF8&psc=1

If your asking about which paint its the one in the pic. Found in the spray paint section of walmart, not the automotive section

As for the HS, it did move forward from recoil, but i will be fixing that problem as soon as i find some material to use. It wont cost much, but i will post up my fix once i figure out the details.

Havent done much to my gun in awhile. But i did have acouple of additions.

Im ready for dove season when it hits. Found a 28" barrel on ebay. I paid something like $75 shipped. Its not a VR but im confident that the dove wont know the difference. lol
Im also going to replace the sight with another fat dot, maybe red this time. Unless theres another brand you suggest for bird shooting.

As you all know, I installed the compstock on my m500. Ive done alot of shooting at the range lately, and it does an awesome job with recoil. But theres is a definite downside to the compstock. And its the fact it really limits your extra ammo capacity. Due to the nature of the recoil mechanism of the compstock, it will not work with most stock shell holders. Infact I ended up buying a cheap allen 5 shell holder for $5. I had to reduce it to 4 shells and cut one side at an angle so it could be positioned close to the grip. Doing this allowed it to clear the movement of the stock and still give me room to comfortably grip the stock without the shells touching me. Once my wife has time shes going to clean up the cut a add support to the side by the grip so it has more support. I could always go with receiver mounted side saddle, but i like the balance of my shotgun as is.

Zombie
Looks good. Like the trick with the heat paint.
Did the same to mine, except I used high heat engine block paint. Just in case I have to shoot nonstop in the apocalypse. :lol:

i want a comp stock now. i might have to buy the $150 used mossberg 500 to make this happen

stigmata said:
Zombie
Did the same to mine, except I used high heat engine block paint. Just in case I have to shoot nonstop in the apocalypse. :lol:
Lol, if I'm shooting enough zombies that my barrel gets that hot I should running instead of shooting. Did you use a flat or gloss?

Toys-N-Joys said:
i want a comp stock now. i might have to buy the $150 used mossberg 500 to make this happen
I love my comostock. The specs stock us supposed to reduce more felt recoil but the compstock fits me so well and feels natural that it seems to do a better job for me. I don't see too many compstocks on m500s. Guess its a pistol grip stock world nowadays outside of sporting

ZombieHunterD said:
stigmata said:
Zombie
Lol, if I'm shooting enough zombies that my barrel gets that hot I should running instead of shooting. Did you use a flat or gloss?

I used flat black, just a better overall look I think to compliment the blued barrel. :cool:

I completely agree. Was yours a factory hs or aftetmarket? Mine was a cheapo, it moves forward just abit under recoil. I have a fix for that though. Emailed Mossberg acouple months ago asking if they sell the hs spacer separately. They ended up sending me one in the mail free. Even included locking hardware! The holes don't line up with ny hs, but once I have time it will work like a charm.

Nice....free is always good.....

Mine is a factory one but bought it separately off a guy from the forum here who didn't want it. I also had to get a spacer for mine since he had it on a 5 shot and mine is an 8 shot. Haven't put it on yet, just got it the other day after 2 months. Paid $3.25 for it but also bought Some mossberg stickers for my ammo can and a slide action tube for another project I was doing, so it wasn't bad.

Yeah, they sent me one for a 8 shot and I have a 5. Nothing some snips cants take care of. Lol
Your hs looks really good. On the pics it has a very parkerized look to it.

Thx zombie.....
I wanted to get it as close to the barrel color as I could and flat black was it....it used to be a light charcoal grey color, and wasn't liking it at all...... I got a pic somewhere, I'll dig it up and you can see the difference....

Finally found the BEFORE pic of the heat shield.....not feeling the look of it, that's why I had to change it.

AFTER.... :cool:

Back