• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Mossberg 535 ATS

I'm changing this thread to a straight up build thread on my 535, as there has been little posting and it's not worth starting a whole new thread.

I currently have the 22 inch turkey barrel, which made the most sense to me when I bought the gun as I wanted a turkey gun. Then over the winter I got into duck hunting, which is something I never thought I'd do. I missed a lot of ducks... I like the 22 inch barrel for turkey (obviously) and it's also been good to me for squirrel and pheasant as well. Turns out ducks fly a lot faster, and I'm not sure I like the 22 incher for them. I was using winchester 3.5 super-x ammo, and it patterned alright with a full choke, which is what I was advised to use, but the damn things just fly too fast. I'm hoping a barrel change will help me to hit more ducks. I'm therefore looking for opinions on a 28 inch field/waterfowl barrel.

I'm looking for opinions as to, whether this will actually help, whether I'm just a bad shot, more open choke, different ammo, or leave the ducks alone...

Also, the lowest price i've seen online is $170 for the barrel, is this about average for a new barrel? I guess it's not that expensive when you think about it, I would probably use it for pheasant as well, even though I have had no issues hitting those with the 22 inch.

One last thing: It's going to be quite a bit heavier to carry around, do the benefits outweigh this disadvantage?

Decisions, decisions... I need another beer... Or maybe I'll get whole nother gun... Oh My :roll:

Re: 28 inch Waterfowl Barrel

You're not really going to gain anything in terms of pattern or velocity. Most modern powders are fully burned before they hit the 28" mark.

What you will gain is some extra weight out front. This will make it a little easier to swing the barrel and could help in with hitting birds on the fly by making your movements a little smoother and less jerky.

Personally I prefer a 26" or 28" barrel for ducks and birds. The shorter barrels are fine for more precise shooting but having the extra weight out front really does make the gun swing smoothly and make it easier to hold on those moving targets.

Re: 28 inch Waterfowl Barrel?

I agree, weight will make my motion through the shot a bit smoother, I think I'll go for it. I'm going to try and order one through my local shop and see what price they give me. It'll have to wait until I get into the full swing of things at work this summer and have a few extra pennies to throw at it...

Re: 28 inch Field/Waterfowl Barrel!

So I just placed the order a few moments ago at Gander Mountain. I'll post pics when it comes in, it should take a few days. Hopefully it will arive by next Wednesday which is my day offffff cuz you know I got to go test it out ASAP!

So I first would like to add pictures of the gun that I've had for a while but never posted, these are taken with the 22 inch barrel equipped with a modified choke i believe.
IMG_20120311_090644.jpg

IMG_20120311_090703.jpg

IMG_20120311_090654.jpg

Extra chokes (turkey and full):

So a buddy and I spent the afternoon out shooting. We did some plinking with our .22s (see lever action gun thread) and I also got a chance to test out my new barrel by shooting some sporting clays. It has turned my 535 into a whole new gun. I hit almost every clay I shot at having the gun equipped with a modified choke. I really liked shooting from this particular location. We were perched atop a hill at an old strip min and we threw the clays down over the cliff. We had a lot of fun and I'm sure we'll be out there shooting a lot more now that I'm properly equipped!

The gun with the new barrel:
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

The launcher, which was a PITA to get in the ground so we anchored it with some concrete found nearby:
IMG_0050.jpg

The view:
IMG_0052.jpg

A few spent shells:
IMG_0051.jpg

I LOVE that gun! The camo is great, and Nice shootin spot too!!!

Been knocking down pheasants like its nobody's business! A friend of mine from work has a couple of springer spaniels and we've been out hunting a few times lately. I've been using my 28 inch barrel with improved cyl and have been doing really well! Got 2 nice roosters this afternoon!

You wrote that you got your barrel at Gander Mountain. Was it online or did you buy it there? I have been trying to find a 28 inch barrel exactly like the one you have. I have the same shotgun you have with the 22 inch barrel. I can't seem to find these barrels anywhere, even from Mossberg. Were they discontinued? Anybody know where I can get one?

I also heard that you can put a Mossberg 500 barrel on a 535 shotgun, but you have to change the 535's mag tube for a 500 mag tube. This may be my last resort if I can't get a 535 28 inch barrel.

Help!

I went to gander mt an had them order it. They used to be listed on mossberg a website, I'm not sure if they still are or not. To use a 500 barrel you would have to change the magazine tube as stated. Let me know if you need help with a part number or anything. I still have the packaging around here somewhere.

By the way, welcome aboard!

Edit: Linky Linky: http://www.mossberg.com/new-accessory-barrels

Back