• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Older Models

Mossberg 500 vs. Westernfield 550 20ga

Last minute hiccup in a private sale - to mine and the selller's surprise, the Mossberg 20 ga he is selling is marked Westernfield 550.

Are there any significant differences between the two guns? In particular:

1. the Western Field has one rail on the action slide. Does the Mossberg have one or two?

2. Is there any difference in quality?

3. Are all parts interchangeable? Not just the usual suspects (such as the barrel, magazine tube, forend and stock), but the bits inside, like the action rail.

4. Is there any difference in value? A quick look at Gunbroker implies lower prices on the Western Field Do they resell for less than the Mossberg?

5. anything else someone should consider when thinking about buying a used Westernfield 20?

I have already read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8150&p=108041&hilit=western+field#p108041

Re: Mossberg 500 vs. Westernfield 550 20ga

Most 500 models will have the dual action bars, but other than that the rest of the WF 550 parts will be interchangeable. As far as resale value, the WF models are older and out of production which is likely the only reason they can't command as high a price as a used Mossberg 500. The brand is not as recognized and most folks simply don't know they're made by the same company. As long as the shotgun is in good working order, there's no reason to think it would be any less reliable than a used 500...

Help with my old 500!

I have an older 500 (built May of '74) that is very much well worn. The gun belonged to my grandpa so it's definitely special to me and I want to get it in top working order again.

Anyway, on occasion it would drop a live shell when cycling. I called Mossberg and they said the cartridge stop and interrupter were likely worn and sent me replacements.

After trying the replacements, when I bring the action backwards it locks up and requires quite a bit of force to move forward. Putting the old parts back in and it cycles fine. New ones on, action locks up again - 100% repeatable.

Any ideas?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Help with my old 500!

Romac said:
I have an older 500 (built May of '74) that is very much well worn. The gun belonged to my grandpa so it's definitely special to me and I want to get it in top working order again.

Anyway, on occasion it would drop a live shell when cycling. I called Mossberg and they said the cartridge stop and interrupter were likely worn and sent me replacements.

After trying the replacements, when I bring the action backwards it locks up and requires quite a bit of force to move forward. Putting the old parts back in and it cycles fine. New ones on, action locks up again - 100% repeatable.

Any ideas?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

First out welcome to the forum from NY.
That's great that you have your grandpa's Mossy.
Have you compared the old and new parts? Is there much of a difference?
You also might want to check the elevator if it's dropping a shell.
Maybe some other members will chime in with other ideas.
Be patient, you'll get it fixed.

Given the age of the receiver and the parts, I am going to assume that all of the parts are worn in together. I'm older than that gun and I wish a few shells were all I dropped every now and then LOL

The replacement parts they sent you ride between the receiver and the bolt so there may be some more tightness or restriction due to that, but I would think it would be barely noticeable. And surely not enough to be very difficult to cycle.

Another alternative to maybe look for would be the little tabs on the new parts may be a touch longer than the old ones, or a little extra Parkerizing buildup from the manufacturing process to seat as deeply as the old parts after you insert them in the slots for them which may cause them to not seat as deeply as the old ones.

Is the receiver and bolt and everything clean and free of excess fouling and grease and anything that may add to the clearances?

Or I suppose the correct explanation reduce clearances from buildup, but I think you know where I'm going with this.

Just FWIW, I recently had to replace those parts on my 13 year old 500 too. But they weren't dropping shells. Occasionally, they wouldn't pick up a shell out of the mag.

I respect that you want to get your Grandpa's old shotgun running. Those are the best ones to work on.

Also, I'm not jumping onto you especially with your first post because I want you to feel and be welcome, but the site rules doesn't really like links in your signature, so if it's possible to edit that out in the future, please do. I understand that some phones do that by default so that's why I'm not making a big deal out of it but we try to treat everyone fairly and the same rules apply to the moderators too.

Thank you guys so much for the quick responses! And I love this gun! Actually all my grandpas guns are the most prized and precious to me. No fancy high end shooters in this collection, all low cost, mass produced blue collar guns and I wouldn't trade a single one for the world. I've even got the (very, very) old single shot .22 he taught me and my cousin to shoot on, first gun I ever held and shot. It's cleaned up and waiting patiently in my cabinet to teach my own son to shoot when he's old enough.

To get back to the 500, I will try everything mentioned. I will post pics of the parts and gun as well to see if you guys have other ideas; the newer part IS noticeably a bit thicker/or healthier looking. Internally the gun is clean but definitely very worn in. She's a sweet shooter, but she rattles like all hell and she's not a looker. My grandpa grew up poor on a farm here in KY, so in his life guns, vehicles etc were tools first and foremost. They were meticulously maintained - but they were definitely used.

To be 100% honest, if I have to replace every part inside the gun over time to get it right, I'm willing to do it without blinking or worrying about the cost. He was the type that at no point would he have bought another shotgun, he would've simply fixed this one until it literally ceased to be of use. I've often considered having the gun coated, not to make it prettier, but to increase it's life for the next generation - but I can't do it knowing all these scrapes, nicks and scratches were a part of his story. I had my own newer Mossberg that I bought so I could let his rest, but recently I sold it - it just never was the same as using his.

John A - I definitely apologize for the signature link and no offense taken! I was at work on lunch and used tapatalk to post, it put it there automatically. I'll remove that from my settings.

I definitely appreciate you wanting to, and taking the time to fix the old gun. From what little I have heard, he would've liked that.

If you can see a noticeable difference in thickness of the new parts, that's probably where the resistance comes from. If the metals' finish is a little thicker than the old parts, you may could lightly sand (polish) the side of the new parts so the bolt would slide over the part easier.

Sounds like your Grandfather and I were cut from the same cloth. What county in KY are y'all from? If you don't mind me asking.

Re: Mossberg 500B 16 ga

Rlmckay1220 said:
Does anyone know if 12 ga parts, like stocks and the like are interchangeable to a 500B?

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Seeing how the 500C stock will fit the 500A,,I would think the 500B would fit no problem. Other parts go by the gauge.
You get a chance post a pic or two. :)

A 500B owner? What color are those shells? ;) :lol:

From the Last Frontier!

It's all over the place.

I've seen red, green, black, and brown, but I know that Federal uses purple for many of their 16ga loads...

Well, the old "sweet 16" looks exactly like the 500A and C and the shells are various colors by manufacturer. I've had it since my 16th birthday (42+ years ago) and other than breaking a lug off of the slide tube, it's always worked like a charm. I'd kinda like to get a magazine extension for it, but parts are scarcer than hens teeth anymore. I guess I'll just be easy with it for the next 40 years.

aksavanaman said:
A 500B owner? What color are those shells? ;) :lol:

From the Last Frontier!

The 16g shells I have are all purple or brown. But has been stated, it could vary there is no standard.

Originally 16 gauge shells were purple. Though, I have many different colors. Red, green, purple mostly.

But back to the topic, some parts would interchange, though many also will not.

Any replacement parts that are broken could likely be purchased directly from Mossberg service, or many online outlets also sell used parts like numrich gun parts for instance.

And my first gun was also a 16 gauge.

A old stevens single shot matter of fact.

16 gauge for some reason is a lot less common than 12 and 20 gauge. I was having trouble finding shells for mine, so I broke down and ordered a full case. At the time, was less than $100 delivered. Untelling what it would cost now, even if you could find them.

>if I have to replace every part inside the gun over time to get it right, I'm willing to do it without blinking or worrying about the cost<

Then that is exactly what I'd do. I rebuilt a rattle-trap police gun with all new 590 guts; the difference is amazing. The most it will cost is $250 for a donor gun from Walmart; you can then sell the leftover parts.

Before you go assembling parts- bear in mind that there are different forend tube available. All will work on your gun but make sure to get the one you want.

Also the late model trigger assemblies will not drop into your gun. The later model triggers are beefier to match larger slots in the frame. A new trigger will have to be fitted to an old gun. Or if you really want to do it right, just get an aluminum trigger from 590A1. They'll slap right in :D

Front rails do not come off receiver

I'm a new user with an OLD 500 model shotgun. I got it as a kid in the mid 80"s. The front rails on this shotgun DO NOT come off the receiver. They're not stuck and I understand I have to push down to get them out. It feels like there is a spring or something that is keeping the assembly in. I'm not talking about the forend. The actual rail will not come out. I've searched everywhere and found a very short reference to it on another site (not Mossberg specific) but no one answered this guys question.

I just want to switch out the forend with a more "tactical" one. I'm not sure it matters but the gun is marked as an "ABR" model. I know A is 12 gauge, I think the B means it was purchased at a retailer not a gunshop but I don't know what R means or if it has anything to do with my issue.

Help!

Thanks

Re: Front rails do not come off receiver

Hello Todd. Welcome to the forum from NY. You get a chance post a pic of the old girl. :)
Here's a link that might help you.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Re: Front rails do not come off receiver

Thanks Old Mossy. I've watched 1000 take down videos. This one shows that just before taking the
bolt off the rails just slide right off... There in lies the rub! Mine doesn't
do that. I can slide the bolt out no problem but he rail will not slide out (yes, I'm pushing down / pulling up / wiggling / begging the slide rails) . It's not "stuck". I'm pretty
sure it's designed that way but what I don't know is why, if or how it can be removed.

I've asked a local gunsmith and was worried when he asked me "what model is this".
This is a pretty distinctive gun with the safety and all. He wanted to charge me $50
to "check it out". Love the gun, sentimental value and all but I figure that's about half
what the guns worth.

Anyone have a gun with the feature?

Thanks

Back