• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I am ready to order a metal safety for my Mossberg 500 and wanted to know which one to go with. I see brownells, mossberg and vang comp systems all make a version. I like the brownells due to the raised area but the vang comp system oversized safety seems to be a very quality item.

Brownells
l_080000539_1.jpg

Vang Comp System
l_100001364_1.jpg

Mossberg
l_631000287_1.jpg

Elite Tactical Advantage
p_100005838_1.jpg

Cavalry Manufacturing, Llc.
SST-590-S.jpg

I use the Brownells version, I prefer the little sweep its very very positive.
Honestly, I get them off ebay, I usually can beat B's price FFL price.

THe upsweep lets you push off the safety very quick and positively. It also allows a quick safe of the weapon with sweatly hand or God forbid another wet substance.
I have used that safety on an issue breecher, and really like it.

I personally like the Vang, but I'm only going on looks. Its actually something I want.

I prefer the Vang unit. Behind that would be the ETA unit. I didn't like the ski jump of the Brownell's version. The Mossberg A1 is perfectly serviceable if you want to keep costs down.
Whichever one you get, make sure you have the replacement screw and install the backing plate with the new safety.

To each his own. I don't ever find the need for any of my guns in my household to be on safety. It is just me however. I just keep my finger off of the trigger. Safety's get in the way if something happens. If I have a gun that needs to have the safety on I unload it. Not to mention my pistol doesn't have a safety on it either.

I hear ya...none of my "handguns" have safetys , I was just pointing out the fact that for this model Mossberg put the safety in a great place and to not high-jack I like the the Vang and the Mossy looks like the cheapest made of the three.

I have experience with the mossy one and my finger slips off of it. I like the Brownell version. it's similar to the one on my Western Field model. If I were to use one I'd go Brownell. You can pop it off safety much easier just by looking at the picture.

On my 590A1, I have zero issues with its safety with or with out gloves.

I even use the safety in conjunction with keeping my finger off the trigger! :) Gotta teach my kids too ya know! ;)

I think this subject deserves another post, on when and why a safety.

The mossberg in my opinion is much better suited safty wise an person can "feel" the safety even with gloves on. The ski jump is actually why I choose the Brownells version. very positive.
Now if only someone will make that why and when thread, I will tell ya ;)

I just added the Elite Tactical Advantage version to the list.

I've always liked these too! They look nice, and if I was goin to switch out safties, this one would be at the top of my list.

Yea I really like the Vang Comp Systems one because it retains the factory look but adds functionality.

Back