• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cuttig stock down?

Anyone ever cut the factory stock down an inch or so? I have experience at grinding recoil pads down, so that's not going to be a problem. I would just like to take the LOP down to 13" or so.

Also, how are you guys running slings on your 590's? I have the S&G extension and sling plate up front. I saw an article sometime back where a guy made a plate to fit between the stock and recoil pad that had a small sling loop sticking out the side. Anyone ever see any thing like that?

Merry Christmas, cutter_spc

That looks pretty good mossy. I have used miter saws in the past as well, that way I can shore up the stock real good in the position I want it. I'm looking at cutting the synthetic stock. Wondering how much melt I'm going to get.

cutter_spc said:
That looks pretty good mossy. I have used miter saws in the past as well, that way I can shore up the stock real good in the position I want it. I'm looking at cutting the synthetic stock. Wondering how much melt I'm going to get.

I never cut a synthetic one. I would say you should be ok and sand the melt off later.

Don't for get the pics. :)

Yeah, I've never cut one either, LOL. Looks like your calling me out though with the don't forget the pics, LOL.

I did get a chance to take the gun out briefly yesterday and run a box each of bird, buck, and slugs. Recoil was not as bad I was expecting, think the 870 I used to own was worse. Those slugs were hitting pretty high at about 10-15 yards, almost missed my pumpkin. It also has quite a spread at that range with the 7.5 shot I was running, I'm used to running mod or full chokes, so this is quite a bit new to me.

If the recoil is bothering you,I recommend a Limbsaver recoil pad. They work.

,,,,,and the pics if you do cut it down. :D

I used to side houses and used power miter saws alot key was to use a fine blade 60 tooth should work well but the trick is flip the blade so it dosent chunk the plastic! Just dont forget to change the rotation the next time you cut wood! Oh and go slow allow the blade to work and should come out fine!

Back