• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Heat Shields

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I'm looking for a heat shield for my 590 Cruiser. One that fits snug so it won't move with the action and scratch up the finish. I've seen mixed reviews on a few brands so I thought I'd see what you fellas think. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Accessories

AIMPRO makes a great heat shield for the Mossberg 590. That is who I would go with if I were to get a heat shield for my Mossberg 590.

x2 on the AIMPRO heatshield. I prefer it to the Mossberg heatshield.

Thanks fellas. I'll look into picking up an Aimpro.

Heatshield w/ heavy walled barrel?

The stock heatshoelds from Mossberg do not fit the heavy walled barrels from what I see, so is there an option for that barrel? I would love to have one on mine if I can.

Re: Heatshield w/ heavy walled barrel?

Ripsnortr said:
The stock heatshoelds from Mossberg do not fit the heavy walled barrels from what I see, so is there an option for that barrel? I would love to have one on mine if I can.

Dude, you are in the right place my friend! Just so happens AIMPRO makes a heat shield for the heavy barrel of the 590A1! And!!! It just so happens AIMPRO is one of our forum sponsors and vendors! You may even see their banner add in the ad space above! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or you can go here;
http://www.aimprotactical.com/5801.html

However you find them, know they are often extremely busy and most who try and contact AIMPRO prevail through persistence. or was it pestilence? I think its persistence... :D

Anyway, keep trying and dont give up. They have been moving and should be settled in, but from talking with Mike Shain, they are moving 100 miles an hour at all times. Get through to them and they'll get you taken care of, be sure to tell them Mossberg Owners said hello!!! ;)

I looked on their site and they have the heat shields for the 18.5" heavy-walled barrel, but I didn't see one for the 20" heavy-walled barrell that is on the model#53693 I have on order.

I sent them an email and asked if the 18.5" model would fit. Wait and see...

I seem to remember either in conversation with Mike Shain, or in a post, it had been mentioned that heatshields for both the 18.5" and 20" would be available... Could be wrong as it happens on occassion.

Or maybe as youve mentioned, the 18.5" works on the 20"? We'll find out! ;)

Rossignol said:
Or maybe as youve mentioned, the 18.5" works on the 20"? We'll find out! ;)

One size from the factory for 18.5 and 20 inch. Stands to reason it works the same on the A1. The receiver half of the barrel is where it gets super hot and HS’s cover well over half the barrel, what little bit sticks out of the muzzle end of the HS isn’t too bad and is rarely handled anyway

Purpose of a Heat-shield on a shotgun?

I have not had a shotgun with a heat-shield. What is the reasoning behind the shield? I would think it would get hot too, and stuff/dirt up under it. Does the heat-shield help dissipate the heat? Please enlighten me.

Thanks

Re: Purpose of a Heat-shield on a shotgun?

I seriously heat my gun up sometimes. It only took once for me to grab it in the wrong spot to learn that lesson so I just took it out of the equation all together. If you could imagine a situation where you had to unleash a bunch of rounds, stress is high, you fumbling on the reload or grab your gun to move quick or whatever, just one less thing to burn yourself on. No real added weight …as far as looks, I don’t know or care ….really I’m more function over form type a guy. Some people never get their guns that hot.

Again Oli has beat me to the reply! :lol:

Heres my reply anyway

Well, the heat shield was originally intended for bayonet fighting to give the user another place to grip the shotgun.

Most of us wont be bayonet fighting. (Never know, the CDC has said to be prepared for anything including zombies) However, as in Toby's case (Mudinyeri) he has gone the retro really awesome lookin route of designing his 500 to look similar to the trench guns. In other cases it just looks sweet. I've never had one, but 9 rounds does make the barrel hot. I have grabbed high on the chamber and thought "dang thats hot" and subsequently moved my hand. But for those firing and loading and firing and loading, it may stay hotter longer I'd imagine. I like the look, but am not compelled to purchase one. (The AIMPRO Heat Shields are my favorites)

Every now and then I will go through 24 rounds as quick as I can practicing and I'm here to tell you one slip, one distraction while I was celebrating my destruction and I swear I left skin on that bastard :lol:

I did notice at the range last weekend that it got hot, real hot as I was loading it and shooting it as fast as I could. I was just wondering if the the heat-shield being of metal really helped. Sounds like it does so I will be trying to get a hold of Aimpro.
Thanks guys

Upon further inspection of the 590A1 it looks like the 9 shot’s bayonet lug sits farther away from the forend than the barrel lug on the 6 shot. It would probably go on and work but ok but might creep forward on the 9 shot, looks like Aimpro used a real narrow clamping surface so they could squeeze it in the small gap on the 6 shot no worry about creeping forward because it buts up against the barrel lug. The factory comes with a piece of plastic you trim to fit the gap so it doesn’t creep up while firing and has a bigger clamping surface. I have an ATI HS on my 500 and it didn’t come with a plastic spacer but it does have a decent clamping surface. I had to tighten it more than I like after it slid toward the muzzle an 1/8” after about 100 rounds. It doesn’t do it now.
So just wanted you to consider that since I opened my mouth the first time without looking close

Just like the others said, but I also really like the look of it cosmetically :)

Folks here have it right. Heat shield does not = barrel radiator. It doesn't cool the barrel in any way. It's a safety fence. Is it be useful? If you're throwing a ton of lead, probably. I've shot rounds of trap where there were only three of us instead of the usual five. Hardly rapid fire. And my pump hand thumb has creeped up the slide and laid alongside the barrel. I didn't jump or anything, but I sure as heck thought "Dang! That's hot!" :oops:

Personally I keep my gun as "stock" looking as possible for two reasons:

1. I bought a long barrel for my 590a1 for clay shooting, and my range is SUPER ANAL about "safety". If they suspect a gun doesn't have a mag plug in it, they WILL check, and they WILL ask you to leave. I'm very happy with them thinking it's a synthetic stock Waterfowl gun.

2. Unfortunately I do believe that in a self defense situation, a whole new battle starts AFTER the shooting's done. And handing over an Evil Black Gun to the Po-Po makes it look like not only were you ready to kill someone, you were really really looking forward to the opportunity! I don't have any lights or optics or lasers on it right now, but if I was involved in a shooting, I'd seriously think about taking stuff off the rails before Les Gendarmes arrived :?

blue said:
2. Unfortunately I do believe that in a self defense situation, a whole new battle starts AFTER the shooting's done. And handing over an Evil Black Gun to the Po-Po makes it look like not only were you ready to kill someone, you were really really looking forward to the opportunity! I don't have any lights or optics or lasers on it right now, but if I was involved in a shooting, I'd seriously think about taking stuff off the rails before Les Gendarmes arrived :?

That is unfortunate.First off I hear what you’re saying but I believe that is a battle worth fighting. Black gun, purple gun, bayonet, ribbed hunting barrel, pistol grip, Monty Carlo stock the end results the same. If you have all your ducks in a row, acting as a responsible citizen and shoot someone in self defense with a black gun you will be far better off then shooting someone with a 6’ long goose gun and being even slightly in the wrong. I think as our rights slip away as free Americans it is important to exercise our rights. I refuse to be scared off from doing what’s in my rights just because it might ruffle some feathers.

Back