• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell Stopper issue/possible fix

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
I've had my 590A1 for about a month and put about 450 rounds through it. I've noticed in my last outing that the rounds weren't cycling properly into the chamber and requiring me to really slam the forend back hard to get it to cycle. After 400 rounds this shouldn't be an issue.

I finally got to take a look at it and manually cycled the shotgun without rounds in it to see where the function error was. It appears the shell stopper piece was a little bent and the forend rod that is supposed to knock it out of the way to release the round was going behind it. UGH!!!

This also caused some excessive wearing damage on the forend rod as well as the shell stopper.

Worked on it this morning by bending the shell stopper until it seemed to function right and filed down the excessive wear on both the forend rod and the shell stopper. Seems like a smooth cycle now. I ordered another shell stopper from Havlin Sales just in case my mod to the original shell stopper didnt work during live fire but it seems it should work.

Defnitely a learning experience on how these pump shotguns work.

Water Monkey

Nicely done! You did well jumpin in to it and takin it on!

Also appreciate you sharin the cause and fix!!!

Kodiak said:
Being a month old, you may also want to consider getting a hold of Mossberg.

I considered it but I figured once I identified the problem area I could just fix it myself. Why wait on the phone for 15 min to talk to someone who will either A) ask me to send in the shotgun or B) send me a new shell stopper but it will take 3 weeks to get it.

So I manned up and called Havlin who said I should get it by Friday but I think I fixed it. So I will find out Memorial Day when I take her out to the range.

Cycled it with a full 5 rounds in the magazine like 10-15 times again today an it seems to cycle fine. The test will be with the recoil during live fire. But I think it will be ok. So smooth now compared to the battle I was having with it last Saturday.

I initially thought the wear on the forend rod was going to be an issue but once I smoothed out the wear with a file it seemed to be just fine.

Rossignol said:
Nicely done! You did well jumpin in to it and takin it on!

Also appreciate you sharin the cause and fix!!!

Thanks man. Being new to firearms has me at a disadvantage but once I got to sit down and figure how each piece operates with each other I was able to figure out what was causing the rounds to sit in the magazine and not be ejected into the shell carrier.

I have to admit I was really bummed at the range with the FTF issues. I was like really, 450 rounds this baby should be more butter!!! Took her apart and oiled it and cleaned it and the damn thing still had FTF issues so I went to town to figure out why. There's not many pieces to it and I've put it together like 6 times already so I was determined to figure out why! And in honesty it was rough to cycle the whole time up until the fix. I guess the shell stopper was kinda messed up the whole time.

I'll give another update after the live fire test to see if I jacked up my man level ;)

Photos of Wear

Took pics of the wear down of the forend rod and the shell stopper due to the forend rod going behind the shell stopper instead of compressing the shell stopper and going infront of it.

Shell stopper Wear:

7263406438_596cda5498.jpg

Forend Rod Wear:

7263389356_545cbfda94.jpg

These pics were taken after I filed down the burrs so now I have a smooth action.

EDIT <UPDATE>:

Havlin Sales shell stopper came in today. wicked fast shipping as I ordered it Monday and got it today (Thursday).

Placed it in the gun and I noticed right off the bat the shell stopper is bent way in there. Cycled and got the exact issue I was having before. Placed in my filed down and bent shell stopper back in and it cycled fine. I'll see about getting a new forend down the road but let's see how the live fire works first.

I'll get pics later on. I took a look at that other post and I can tell you the shell stopper was not flat it had a slight curve to it. Hitting the range in an hour or so see how my fix goes.

Range report.... Shot much better but had 4 instances where the final round didn't load and fell out before the carrier could catch it. Brought my punch and bent it a little more and that was the last time it happened.

On the lighter side I took my fiancé out shooting for her first time. She shot the 590a1 and my 22lr.. She prefers the 12 guage. She likes the power in her hands... Yep she's marriage material lol

KentuckyWindage said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Way to go brother!

Watch out though, your 590a1 may not be "yours" for too much longer... :lol:
This statement is so true! Just another reason to buy another 590a1 :mrgreen:

Yup! Get another 590A1 cuz you cant have too many anyhow and marry that girl, dont let go of any of em!!! ;)

Great job future Mrs. Water Monkey! Nice job on putting that video together as well.

I agree, she did good!!! You did a really nice job on the video as well!

Update 6/15/12 - been away for a couple of weeks but took my 590A1 (now named No Frills) for 200 rounds <50 slugs & 150 bird shot> after I fixed it a while back. Zero malfunctions, smooth as butter. I'm getting much faster with the pump and I am starting to prefer it over my 930 SPX as my "fun gun". Probably because I dont have to clean it as much. Got a date with my dad Sunday for Father's Day to hit the range. Gonna take the 590A1 out once again and plow through another 200 rounds

Awesome! Well done, and that date tomorrow sounds great!

I dont have a dad, but maybe one of my kids will wanna go out... likely not for my benefit but for their own shootin fun! :lol:

Back