• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

pump loading issue today at the range

Needing help in solving the pump loading issue.

When shooting today, the pickup action was not doing its job.
Had to rack it back hard as hell just to get it to pickup the round.
Anyone else expierence this and how do u fix it. :?:
It didn't seem like I had to rack it back this hard last time I shot her.
I also did not disassemble the gun at all in between shooting her, last time i shot her was the 26 then today, just a quick bore cleaning was all I did and fired about 20 rounds with no pickup issue the 26.
Also seems to be sticking a bit on the pump (rear) as well...may need oil for that fix.

But I don't know why its not picking up the next round.

It's your cartridge stopper. I bet the action rod is going behind it. Disassemble and bend it back a little bit.

Seems to be a common QC issue lately. I had the same issue.

Don’t know what you mean by pick up round. You mean the lifter isn’t picking up the round or the tube isn’t releasing the round?

oli700 said:
Don’t know what you mean by pick up round. You mean the lifter isn’t picking up the round or the tube isn’t releasing the round?
Seems to be the tube release, because the tube would not release it, for the round to be lifted into the chamber.
But it has to release it first b4 the lifter can grab it. Once it was released the lifter did its job in loading it.

Water Monkey said:
It's your cartridge stopper. I bet the action rod is going behind it. Disassemble and bend it back a little bit.

Didn't your video cover that issue. Will have to take another look at it again.
Now when you say bend it back a little. What's a little. Kinda new to the whole shotgun thing..and taking her apart.

stigmata said:
Water Monkey said:

Now when you say bend it back a little. What's a little. Kinda new to the whole shotgun thing..and taking her apart.

Small increments and yes my video makes mention of it a little with my issues with the 590.

Disassemble and bend it a little. Cycle dummy rounds and if the issue continues, disassemble, bend a little more... etc until your issue is fixed.

FWIW it will take a bit of "force" to get that cartridge stopper to bend so dont be afraid to lean into it.

Water Monkey said:
stigmata said:
Water Monkey said:

Small increments and yes my video makes mention of it a little with my issues with the 590.

Disassemble and bend it a little. Cycle dummy rounds and if the issue continues, disassemble, bend a little more... etc until your issue is fixed.

FWIW it will take a bit of "force" to get that cartridge stopper to bend so dont be afraid to lean into it.

Cool water monkey.
Im heading home and will stop by bass pro to pick up those dummy rounds. Saw them last week, but didn't get them. Now I will.
I'll get it apart and mess with it till I get it.

by the way, do I bend it IN toward the shell or OUT away from it

ok, your not gonna believe this.
went to bass pro, bought the dummy rounds, got home, then loaded the dummy rounds and cycled her.....

now b4 i was about to take her apart, i decided to run the dummy rounds thru to see if it still was not cycling properly. and guess what, it works fine, like nothing was ever wrong to begin with.

so i did it a few more times, and the same results, everything work perfectly, i didnt even have to rack it hard this time to get the round to release from the tube and load. i even did it slowly and it still picked it up.

so now im like w.t.f.

so i loaded some live rounds (safely of course) and cycled them thru just fine too.
now im baffeled as to what went on, and how all of a sudden it works fine again shortly after i was just having problems.
and all i did was cycle dummy rounds thru her first????

dosent make sence at all.....i didnt do anything different loading at the range that i did at home?

so i just cleaned her up with clp and oiled all the metal parts in the loader/chamber and will try again later to see if i run into the same problem again!

stigmata said:
ok, your not gonna believe this.
went to bass pro, bought the dummy rounds, got home, then loaded the dummy rounds and cycled her.....

now b4 i was about to take her apart, i decided to run the dummy rounds thru to see if it still was not cycling properly. and guess what, it works fine, like nothing was ever wrong to begin with.

so i did it a few more times, and the same results, everything work perfectly, i didnt even have to rack it hard this time to get the round to release from the tube and load. i even did it slowly and it still picked it up.

so now im like w.t.f.

so i loaded some live rounds (safely of course) and cycled them thru just fine too.
now im baffeled as to what went on, and how all of a sudden it works fine again shortly after i was just having problems.
and all i did was cycle dummy rounds thru her first????

dosent make sence at all.....i didnt do anything different loading at the range that i did at home?

so i just cleaned her up with clp and oiled all the metal parts in the loader/chamber and will try again later to see if i run into the same problem again!

FWIW That's exactly how it was for me as well in the beginning.

Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on the the action slide bar that comes in contact with the cartridge stopper. Also keep an eye on the cartridge stopper as well. At the 400 round mark I was having epic failures and thats because both components were worn down to nubs for the reason I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here's my original thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4174

Water Monkey said:
FWIW That's exactly how it was for me as well in the beginning.

Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on the the action slide bar that comes in contact with the cartridge stopper. Also keep an eye on the cartridge stopper as well. At the 400 round mark I was having epic failures and thats because both components were worn down to nubs for the reason I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here's my original thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4174

thanks bro for the assistance,
well ill probably take it apart now and compare what i got, to your pic posted on your thread, just to see if i got the same stuff going on in there too.

So, do I bend the cartridge stopper IN toward the shell or OUT away from it??
because i did notice when its installed, and you push on one end the other pops out, from the last time i did this.

Bend towards the receiver of the weapon. Kinda like straightening it out. The notch at the top of the cartridge stopper needs to be in contact with the slide rod when racking the weapon for another round to feed. If it sticks out from the receiver to far the rod will go behind the stopper and nothing will feed.

Back