• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossy 590 stainless question

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Just joined this morning, and was searching around for an answer, but couldn't find anything specific. I bought a used 590 Mariner recently and have been trying to find out how to determine if it has the stainless or marinecote barrel and mag tube. The receiver is aluminum and trigger group black plastic, no bayonet lug. A magnet sticks to the tubes.

It looks like stainless to me, compared to say the standard kitchen knife, but I'm not a metallurgist. I've emailed the company a couple times but no reply from them. Other Google searches were fruitless. Is there a serial number range that could be used to help figure this out? Mine is Ser No. (partial) K680xxx.

Anyway, here's a couple pics.

m590full.jpg

m590barrel.jpg

That looks like stainless to me, marine coat is a matte finish….at least all the marine coat I ran into was matte. There are stainless 590’s but its rare medicine

SWEET! :shock:

You found a unicorn Sir. That's only the second 590 Stainess I've seen posted here on the forum. I'd trade one of my kindeys to get my hands on one of those. Congrats on the find Sir. E-mail will be tough, especially with the buying craze going on right now. Your best bet for information is to call Mossberg Tech Support directly...

(800) 363-3555

They can run your serial number and provide specs and date of manufacture...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

You found a unicorn Sir. That's only the second 590 Stainess I've seen posted here on the forum. I'd trade one of my kindeys to get my hands on one of those. Congrats on the find Sir...

Well, I'm still waiting to hear from Mossberg since I've gotten a few opinions on it (yes it is/no it ain't). It's a good shooter, and reminds me of the Win Model 12 trench gun I carried occasionally in 'Nam. To be honest the Model 12 would have been my first choice, but they're way out of my price range these days. I got this 590 for $325.

Just noticed your edit about Tech Support. I called the other day and it was a 45 minute hold time :shock: so I hung up. What time of day would be good to call?

GunnyGene said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

You found a unicorn Sir. That's only the second 590 Stainess I've seen posted here on the forum. I'd trade one of my kindeys to get my hands on one of those. Congrats on the find Sir...

Well, I'm still waiting to hear from Mossberg since I've gotten a few opinions on it (yes it is/no it ain't). It's a good shooter, and reminds me of the Win Model 12 trench gun I carried occasionally in 'Nam. To be honest the Model 12 would have been my first choice, but they're way out of my price range these days. I got this 590 for $325.

Just noticed your edit about Tech Support. I called the other day and it was a 45 minute hold time :shock: so I hung up. What time of day would be good to call?

you might want to try an email to norma at mossberg. give her the serial # and ask her if it's a s/s 590. she told me what month/day/year my mossy was born. took 2 weeks ,but i got it. :)
martinezn@mossberg.com

old mossy said:
GunnyGene said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

you might want to try an email to norma at mossberg. give her the serial # and ask her if it's a s/s 590. she told me what month/day/year my mossy was born. took 2 weeks ,but i got it. :)
martinezn@mossberg.com

Thanks. I'll wait a week or two before I email her. See if I get a reply from them first. Seems to me they could make everyone's life a little simpler if they posted that kind of info on their site like some other Mfg. do. Oh, well.

Don't get us started on their website. :twisted:

We've got an entire thread dedicated to how bad it sucks...

hey Dan,,,maybe you and mossberg owners.com should become mossbergs advertized consultants,,,or something like that. put a MO card in every box. :D

:shock: WoW :shock:

Beautiful shotgun Gunny. Definitely looks stainless to me, as others have pointed out the marinecoat finish tends to be more matte. You definitely got the gun for a steal as well......around here you are hard pressed to find a basic field model 500 for $325, let alone something that pretty. :)

Wow, that is a freaking beautiful gun!! Love the stainless.

gunny,,,from what i can gather so far,,,your mossberg is from '88-'89. i understand mossberg did at one time make a marine version s/s.
another place you might want to try is http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
they know all about older mossys.

old mossy said:
gunny,,,from what i can gather so far,,,your mossberg is from '88-'89. i understand mossberg did at one time make a marine version s/s.
another place you might want to try is http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
they know all about older mossys.

Thanks. Sent them an email w/description and pic.

Assuming it's what we all think it is, what value would you place on it for insurance or estate purposes? It's in "very good to excellent" condition in my estimation, having just one small dent in the barrel shroud, and a few very small & shallow scratches on the barrel and mag tube. No functional issues at all.

You did real well at $325......I'd give you $327.50 with no problem. :) :D

Nah, if I was going to take a guess I'd probably put it in the $500 range because of rarity, maybe more. I'm not seeing any on gunbroker to go by for an example.....

That is a sweet 590! Id say stainless also, too bright for marinecote.

Dude, in person, I've seen one stainless model and exactly one stainless barrel. That is an excellent find and many if not all us here would give a body part if not a child for a stainless model.

I'm also gonna second havlin sales. They may be able to help with born on date and approximate value.

Sweet gun so far one guy wants to trade you his kidney better than a liver lol or $327. I cant out bid them.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

I had a reply from http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/shotguns/ this morning. I'd emailed them last evening.

Greetings,
Thank you for your e-mail.
Yes, we are interested.
We will pay $ 300.00 for the item, but we will require an inspection period.
So if you are interested in selling to us at that price please let me know…

I think they misunderstood what I was asking. :lol: So, I figure it must be worth about $500 or more.

It's probably either 416 or 410 Stainless Steel. You could call up something like a Non-Destructive Testing place and they an use a PMI sensor to positively identify the chemical composition of your weapon without causing any harm to it. Some of them are nice and might not mind letting you use their toy for a second or two :)

I betcha dollars to donuts the Havlins can tell you everything about it, they litterally wrote the book on Mossbergs! ;)

Back