• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 and Mini Shells

Old mossy is correct. Mini's tend to flip over or jam when racking one up. If you load them by hand directly into the chamber they will fire, but what's the point of that? Tried some in my 590 a few months ago. Don't bother.

GunnyGene said:
Old mossy is correct. Mini's tend to flip over or jam when racking one up. If you load them by hand directly into the chamber they will fire, but what's the point of that? Tried some in my 590 a few months ago. Don't bother.

^ This....

PS: If you're just looking for an extra round or 2 in the tube, you're going down the wrong road. Put a side saddle on the gun and learn how to combat reload instead. The last thing you need in an emergency is an unreliable gun due to the ammo.

GunnyGene said:
PS: If you're just looking for an extra round or 2 in the tube, you're going down the wrong road. Put a side saddle on the gun and learn how to combat reload instead. The last thing you need in an emergency is an unreliable gun due to the ammo.

Dude, bonus point again for you on the posts you've made in this thread!!!

FYI -- these are NOT the Aguila mini-shells, I know those won't work in a 590. The shells I listed are longer (2" and 2.5").

SNAFU said:
FYI -- these are NOT the Aguila mini-shells, I know those won't work in a 590. The shells I listed are longer (2" and 2.5").

I know. I still wouldn't trust them. But go ahead and buy a box of each. Cheap enough to try them out, and it's not like you're making a lifelong commitment. :)

Ive had no trouble whatsoever with the Aigula mini shells Slugs in either of my 590A1s. I have both the 20" and 14" versions.

With the Aguila buckshot, only the first 5 or 6 out of the magazine load properly, after that they almost always seem to flip. I can load several 2-3/4 shells into the magazine and top it off mini shells, but the risk of it not working is not worth the +2 capacity it gives me.

Also, I can fit 14 of mini-shells in my 20" magazine... a no-no because I am unfortunately in one of those states where 10 rounds is the upper limit.

Back