• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol grip??

boneleg

Copper BB
My 702 Plinkster was involved in a minor fire...
The stock is slightly melted...looks horrible.
Is it legal to cut the shoulder stock off to create a pistol grip if it would measure 28" overall?

But the barrel will still be over 16" and the overall length will be over 26"...28" overall...?

Attachments

• mossbercut.jpg
    mossbercut.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 711
Here's my 715T, the stock broke on mine so I removed it. Have been looking for a replacement, but it meets the length requirements until then. And its not really an SBR (short barrel rifle), more of a SFR (stock free rifle) :grin:

Yours should be no problem.

Rootbrain

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367290431014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367290431014.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 656
rootbrain said:
Here's my 715T, the stock broke on mine so I removed it. Have been looking for a replacement, but it meets the length requirements until then. And its not really an SBR (short barrel rifle), more of a SFR (stock free rifle) :grin:

Yours should be no problem.

Rootbrain

Very nice, I think I would be leaving it as is and just get another with a stock on it to match :twisted: What's the overall length there? Any room to shorten the barrel at all maybe?

The thumbhole / tipdown stock would work very well for this . . . less filling in and a better pistol grip, not to mention the front handle.

Here is my quick-and-dirty non-artistic artist's conception for the 702 "Tacti-hideous" Plinkster, with foremost apologies to everyone whose pics I mangled from Google:

702tipdown4.jpg

Still trying to decide on the best spot for the light unless I can find a combo light/holo . . . I hate to remove the iron sights completely but it seems like that rear sight location would be a really good spot for a wee light if I can figure out a mounting technique. Of course, it would make me very happy to figure out a way to hide a light behind the tipdown and have a button for it in the pistol grip, but I doubt these things will be possible.

Rough estimation puts it at 27.5 inches, and with full barrel length of 18". If I left more behind the grip (leaving a thumbhole with very little stock behind it), it would be even longer, and basically have its own carrying handle.

It will live in concert with another 702 with 21" barrel and regular stock in standard scoped format for longer range plinking.

The longer range one definitely needs a strap . . . this one needs something, but that's also a matter for consideration.

If i were you ide take the stock off and modify an airsoft stock and put your plinkster receiver inside it.

I kinda want to get a second plinkster and do this.

I was thinking about a G36 or a P90, every once in a while you can find some cheap airsoft on craislist for $20-$30.

The 715T is pretty much a shell around the 702

2wqsyl1.jpg

5840223402_f76038febc_z.jpg

375018_492191704168935_1460104515_n.jpg

That was my original plan . . . making a bullpup, that is.

Basically, I started shopping from scratch a few months ago and saw a 702 in a store with a 25rd magazine already on it and figured I'd save some coin, achieving a high capacity 22lr at a low price. I checked online after buying and found three more 25rd mags relatively cheap. Later, I decided I wanted to get an 802 as well, scoping it for longer range and for the bolt action reliability, and bullpup the 702.

But, from what I read the bullpup modifications involve a lot of rigging and glue just to fit it in there, and the one I saw didn't look as good as the pic you've got above. And I wasn't fond of the idea of trying to rig up a trigger linkage when I had very little to go on about what the internals were going to look like from internet sources. Additionally, I find the 25rd mags require a swift jerk to remove without hanging up on the way out, which didn't seem plausible on the bullpups where you have to reach up into the hollowed out plastic. And a 10rd mag, or even the 25, seemed like it'd require a lot of aiming practice to get it seated. And finally, if we go all zombieland and I have to shoot lefty around a corner, the right-ejecting bullpup didn't seem like the best plan.

The G36 style you show might've been a good compromise (other than the fact that I find them ugly), and would've given me a folding stock which would be very much preferred over a sawed-off stock. Unfortunately, I didn't know of that option until just now. However, magazine removal and rigging are still factors against that.

As for the 715, which I'd not seen to be available before, I literally just saw one in Wally World. But, I don't like the fact that there are two separate 25rd magazine designs . . . were they interchangeable with the 702 I might've gone for it. (And I suppose there may be some way to modify the 715 to accept 702 25rd mags, but bleh.) And truth be told, I don't feel the need to go all AR-15 styling. With a 10rd and the tipdown tipped up, the Tacti-Hideous looks a little less scary to the general public.

Instead of the 802, I actually have already acquired a second 702 with 21" barrel and thumbhole/tipdown stock. I have swapped the normal stock onto it and am scope-shopping. (Interestingly enough, though, I find these easier to aim well with a thumbhole/tipdown.)

I haven't cut the t/t stock down yet . . . I'm considering options of ways to maybe put dowels or some other such technique where I could theoretically put it back on if needed, and/or do a better carrying handle. As noted, leaving the back end of the thumbhole loop does allow for a bit of carrying handle, but it isn't terribly comfortable for that purpose. I may just strap them both and call it a day.

I will admit that at this point, knowing what I know now, instead of getting a 702 and investing in magazines and whatnot, resulting in that I now have two of them (one for long range and one for other needs), I'd probably rather have gotten a 10/22 and put a reflex sight with pop-on magnifier on some easy folding-stock aftermarket mod and then had one rifle for all the needs. But at the same time, the 702's advantage is that I literally now have two rifles for the price of one, basically, so there you go.

Well i bought another plinkster tonight from walmart. Still $107. in my area. I won an auction off e-bay for a G36 in a about 4-5 days i should get it and ill try and take some images as i build it if it works out.

I just took a gamble on an airsoft shell i liked, wether it will work out or not i wont know till i try it.

I just chose one i liked the way it looked. Im sure it will be SUPER cheesy. Im sure it wont be anything as well made as the 715T shell but ill try anyway.

G36shell_zpsb6ae9232.jpg

it was a fail, the plastic is way to thin and it doesnt even seem to be the right scale. It seems to be like a 3/4 of scale. Maybe for kids or something

It looks cool and the rails are the right size to fit tactical gear on but the whole size of the thing isnt large enough to even fit the receiver inside it.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Oh well, guess it was worth a shot...

Im going to try again, i just didnt want to spend more on a shell then the price of the gun but i guess to do something with a quality shell im going to have to spend a little more.

Apparently these were rare, but they existed ...

mossberg_702_plinkster_pistol_1-tfb.jpg

I saw one store site selling them for 229, and another gun auction that might've been for one but the rifle was pictured.

Would have been nice if they had made a few too many of those pistol grips ... the short fore would've been an issue for rifle use but still.

Back