• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. October 2013

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a new monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls....

What ONE item is in your bug out bag that you absolutely cannot do without? (if it were taken or you lost it you would ball up and cry.) :lol:
Other than your weapon (or weapons) of choice and their ammo...

**edit** The term weapon refers to a firearm (and ammo).

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

I want to say coffee but in reality it would have to be Warfarin/Coumadin as I am certain my body would shut me down due to clotting if I didn't have it.
On second thought its still coffee :D

I haven't started one yet. But if I were to compile one my guess would be contact lenses. I'm blind as a bat without them. And I don't keep a backup pair of glasses. This reminds me, I need to get more ordered.

Mine is pretty simple, but it's my Leatherman Wave. All stainless, great tool, has been around the world and back (literally) and never failed me. I can do a lot with it if I had to bug out somewhere and live in the woods.

Now that's a hard one!! I saw the multi tool post and that spoke to the practical McGuiver in me. It could be as simple as a tarp - that will provide lots of comfort and could save your life in many ways.

I have multiple ways to start a fire - including ways that need no foraging or added tinder. It is a redundant system for a reason - cook food, boil water, provide warmth, act as a signal - I'm going with any and all fire starters - - for now, until I think about this more.

My brain hurts!

My first thought was a knife or multi-tool, but I also vote for fire starters. I think the universe will provide tools, but it doesn't always provide a way to start fire. That and I'm no damn good at the whole rubbing two sticks together thing.

For me it's a good high carbon 6-7" blade... I can make everything else... And if I can find a flint, there's my way of making fire.

There...done...what's for November? :lol:

Most excellent question for October, Rip.

Tools are good, as are knives and fire starters. But a man has to drink and what he drinks can keep him alive or kill him as quickly as a bullet. And you can only carry so much of it at one time, and unless you have a stockpile you can reach you're going to need to drink what you come across.

So I would have to lean towards a water purification system of some type. Many available, large and small. You can boil water to kill any bugs but that doesn't filter out other contaminants. Plus, building a fire to boil water is hard while moving.

Some are as small as a straw, others a thermos. Either way they may be worth their weight in gold...

I just presumed that a knife fell into the weapons category. So maybe I need to change my answer.

OhioArcher said:
Most excellent question for October, Rip.

Tools are good, as are knives and fire starters. But a man has to drink and what he drinks can keep him alive or kill him as quickly as a bullet. And you can only carry so much of it at one time, and unless you have a stockpile you can reach you're going to need to drink what you come across.

So I would have to lean towards a water purification system of some type. Many available, large and small. You can boil water to kill any bugs but that doesn't filter out other contaminants. Plus, building a fire to boil water is hard while moving.

Some are as small as a straw, others a thermos. Either way they may be worth their weight in gold...
I'd love to add a Lifestraw to my kit. I'm trying to make it all fit in a slightly modified 702. HD foil and wire make my vessel to boil water. Not redundant - foil damage and I'm drinking goo. Got the space blanket ( tarp) - maybe time for a test and post some photos.

dieselmudder said:
I just presumed that a knife fell into the weapons category. So maybe I need to change my answer.

I'm going to say that it is tool more than a weapon. By the term weapon , I mean firearm.

I'm looking at this question the wrong way... I was thinking you only get to choose one item other than your clothes to survive with...

Even so... I still think a knife is your best tool. If you think about what earlier civilizations and native Americans carried while hunting/surviving, I bet you not much... but I'm sure they had some form of cutting tool.

You could always use a t-shirt and sand to filter your water, and charcoal ( that you got from your fire you made with your knife ;) )

Then yes most definitely a good quality knife. Which was my first thought. But my interpretation of the question was off. In a bare bones survival situation that would be the most important. Start from the bottom and build upon that.
Not that one couldn't be sourced quickly enough, with a fair amount of scavenging one could even be made hastily. But I would much rather have one on hand immediately.

Right. This QotM has to do with your bug out bag. What is in it, that you cannot do without. My b.o.b. does not have clothes. Only tools that I need to survive. When the shtf I should be good with what I have on atm. However I do also have another bag that is just for clothes and non essentials....

Back