• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Missus tames the Chainsaw

Thanks to a local NRA Instructor, our Chainsaw got to belch fire in the suburbs of Seattle last week during a two-hour tutoring session that went from the very basics (reminding us about the slide catch lever) to the "advanced" techniques (firing while moving sideways).

After we put twenty-five 00 low-recoil buck and twenty-five 7.5 birdshot through it, we were pooped, but with the Knoxx Breacher's (recoil-reducing) Pistol Grip, we weren't sore that day or the next!

Realizing "it didn't happen unless there are pix", here's the proof:
chainsaw-RFGC.jpg

{NOTE: The clays are just laying on the berm, not hanging in mid-air.}

The only negative was that I hadn't gotten around to putting Loctite on the screw that held the LED light to the slide's bottom picatinny rail - the light fell off, hit the ground, and hasn't functioned since. Luckily, it was only a $24 Sportsman's Guide light. I'll be replacing it with a more expensive UTG LED light (now on order).

Neither of us had any experience with a gun like that, so we sort of took it in on its own terms. I did expect more kick from the 00 buck than from the 7.5 bird, but they were both just a firm "push" (versus a sharp "jab" as I remember the M14 gives you).

Just because it's easy to do, I'll be swapping out the "weed eater" handle for one of these:
http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php? ... B-FGRP172B
It'll put the left wrist at more of an angle (probably not good), but it will also facilitate firing from a higher position (more like using sights) and may make better use of the single-point sling I put together from Blackhawk! parts (only the adapter piece is shown in the pic above).

And I got some MagPul rail covers if we decide to try the slide without either the weed eater or UTG forend grip. After a lot of dry firing to see what we like best, we'll make one of the three setups "permanent."

5+1 in the gun and up to 15 in the sling seems like enough for Home Defense, even against small roving gangs, and its stopping power is miles beyond that of our 380's, so we like it very much. If anyone wants to drop by (unannounced, in the dark of night) to help us test it, I think we're ready!

Very nice!

It's great that you are both taking the time to familiarize yourself with your new weapon. Keep up the practice and you'll be bustin clays out of the air before long...

^^^ Ditto that, Well done!!!

I think youll like that grip!

Back