• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MikeD's 835 project gun

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Here are the pics of my newly acquired project gun.

Mossberg835_002.jpg

Mossberg835_003.jpg

Mossberg835_004.jpg

Mossberg835_005.jpg

Mossberg835_006.jpg

Mossberg835_007.jpg

Mossberg835_008.jpg

I thinking of trying a DIY water transfer pattern or Cerakote for the receiver/barrel and possibly hardware.

As far as hardware I'm leaning towards some sort of recoil reducing stock. Either a Knoxx/Blackhawk Spec Ops or a Phoenix Kick Lite. If anyone has tried both and has feelings as to which is better at absorbing recoil I'd like to hear it.

I'm still up in the air about what forend to use. Thinking some type of tri-rail just to leave options open. I plan on using it initially for turkey. With other uses possible.

Replace the front bead and install a Kicks Turkey Choke.

What are your goals with this build? Like what do you intend to use it for? As for the stocks if you check out the Mossberg 500 section there is a sticky that has reviews of all the stocks you listed. As for which is best, I am partial to the new blackhawk gen II.

I saw those reviews and found a lot of good info in there. That's how I narrowed my choices down to those two.

My goal is to have fun, experiment with stuff I've never tried before and learn some things along the way. I've never really done much to my guns. Except for my 10/22 and the AR I built everything I own is pretty much out of the box stock. I was always scared of screwing them up.

When I took the plung last week and stippled the grip on my Glock, and didn't destroy it, I decided it was time to be more adventurous.

Initially I'm planning on gearing it for turkey hunting but depending on where things go, that may change. This one is more about the journey then the destination. All the things I've seen over the years and thought "that would be cool" I want to try on this one. :twisted: :D

I'll probably end up with some sort of Frankengun. LOL

I did a quick topic about water immersion camo on here somewhere if you can find it that may help if that's the route you're going.

Since the gun will have to be painted before you do the water dip in the film, cerakote is a good choice for that. Although if you have the equipment to airbrush and then bake in the oven, I like either KG GunKoter or Norrell's Moly a little better than cerakote, but if not, the cerakote is one of the good alternatives.

And to be honest, a light tan color base coat on the gun gave me the best outcome when you dip the camo.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help any way I could.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=1773&p=29549

Thanks for the info. Your write up on dipping was great.

Nice project gun. I have an 835 as well. Turkeys beware! The choke I use is the tru glo strut stopper. Its pattern is nice and tight. I have a bushnell red dot sight and a saddle type weaver mount. The only problem I ran into with that mount was a screw stripped out on it. So bought a longer one and used a locknut on the outside of it with lock tite. My stock is the knoxx. I love it with the red dot sight. No cheek slap. I think I bought it at a company called stragios. Not sure of the spelling on it. But they had the first gen. For $119 ...great price. You can check mine out in the picture and video area.

Looks like a worthy candidate for your project...please use this thread to keep us updated !!

Nice for a project. I see that it has the over bore barrel that someone cut down. Know that it will have a wider spread than a cylinder bore barrel of the same length and a little less muzzle velocity I think. It can possibly shoot slugs but with the 10 gauge over bore, they can't be as effective nor have much accuracy at much distance. Look for another barrel in my opinion. The 835 will handle 3-1/2 inch shells. I had thought a few times about cutting down the over bore barrel to make a scatter gun but decided to keep it fairly stock so if I ever do decide to go for turkey or water foul.

Still, nice gun for a project. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

nasa said:
Nice for a project. I see that it has the over bore barrel that someone cut down.

You can't tell from the picture but it does have a choke tube installed. I've not been able to break it free yet so I can't confirm whether it's std Mossberg or not. It's stamped as a 24" barrel but I have not measured it. It's not ported.

Did Mossberg made a 24" non-ported barrel for the 835? From the web sit it looks like all the barrels are ported but I don't know if it has always been that way.

I plan on doing a complete teardown this weekend.

The barrel measures 24" so I don't think it has been cut down. I still can't get the choke tube out so I'm soaking it in liquid wrench.

I wish I had a choke tube wrench similar to Remington's so I could get a bit more leverage on it.

Looks like I'm going to need a few new parts. The magazine tube is dented. I didn't notice it on first inspection but it's enough to prevent the follower from passing by it. Looks like it had vise grips on it or something at one time. I would hope that replacement parts from OFM should not be a problem.

Aside from that everything is dirty but in good shape

You can get all parts you need from MidwayUSA.com.

I never saw a vented rib 24 inch barrel. Not to say they never did.

I never got any response from customer service but Midway was quick.

Good luck.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

Thanks for the info, I'll try Midway first.

Anyone have any advice for removing a stuck choke tube?

My bad. My deepest apologies. You have a turkey barrel. As was previously pointed out to me, some of the magazines were installed with lock-tite. A small amount of heat can loosen the lock-tite. Maybe try a heat gun. there are some other post on this.

The way the vented rib was kind of beat up on the end I thought it was a bad saw job and the picture on my droid wasnt showing me the whole picture.

I can try and make them all day but there was no excuse for my bad advice except for my lack of knowledge.

Don't sweat it Nasa. It's all good.

I checked the choke tube this morning after soaking it all night and it still won't budge. I'm going to play around with using some heat on it tonight. Just a hair dryer or heat gun, nothing hot enough to change the temper of the metal but it should be warm enough to get it to expand/constrict a bit which may alow it to break free of suck more of the liquid wrench into where it needs to be.

I checked Midway and they are backordered til the end of Feb for the magazine tube. I'll keep looking around but I can get a lot of other stuff done before I really need that part to come into play.

I've got a few parts coming in for my 870 as well that I can play around with. I never should have opened up this door, now I want to tweak everything. Buwahahahahahaha! LOL

I was finally able to get the choke tube removed. It's unusable but it's out. I was going to replace it with a different turkey choke anyway.

I ended up using an internal pipe wrench from the local hardware. Couple days of soaking in various penetraters, heat and cold did not work.

I've got a busy week coming up so I probably won't get to do much more until next weekend.

Got everythinhg disassembled. Well almost everything, I noticed in the picture that I missed the ejector. DOH!

Mossberg835_009.jpg

Didn't see the small spring for the safety detent ball. Very small and easy to loose.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing it.

Hopefully it's still in the hole.

If you dropped it on the floor you can vaccume it up. Put some panty hose on the the nozzle to cover the "sucker" and you can get it easily before it get lost.
you will have to go slowly and probably on your knees but that way you'll see it on the panty hose....

Back