• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Glass Bedding

ImAShrimp

.270 WIN
Do any of you guys have any experience with glass bedding your rifles. Is it even worth it? I'm considering bedding my .308 100 ATR with one of Midway's kits.

If you are super serious about putting all your shots through one hole than it is all worth it. Before you go too far you have to ask yourself if the platform is worth dropping the money into. I have no exp with Mossberg rifles so it’s hard for me to say. I personally get a whole heap of satisfaction doing more with less, kind of like winning a race with a lesser car because you are a better driver. I think if you have reached your plateau with what you have and you can’t make any improvements in yourself with the gear you have now than the next logical move would be to upgrade your equipment, if you are that serious than you have to research if you can do it yourself as good or better than a gunsmith.

I'm probably going to glass bed my .338 4x4. I'm wondering, I there any reason not to glass bed it? What I mean is, it should only make the rifle better right?

Bedding larger caliber rifles can benefit in that it helps prevent the action shifting in the stock under heavy recoil. It can also help prevent splitting and cracking in wood stocks. Of course the primary benefit in wood stocks is to create a buffer that makes the barrel less prone the effects of swelling and shifting due to temp and humidity changes. Because it helps reduce the effects of several variables, bedding should help make a rifle more consistent.

However, in my opinion, if one is wanting to squeeze every bit of accuracy/consistency out of a rifle it's hard to beat a free floated barrel. A decent trigger job will go a LONG way as well...

I think it's a good options bing foreword. Right now I have loads that will hot and kill a bear or elk or whatever, but I'd like to get it shooting a little better. I think I need to try some different loads yet before I get into much else. I do think it will help. Trigger pull is very good in my opinion, set at 4lbs, I don't think I'd want it any lower on this gun.

Back