• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing Rust from Firearms

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
From time-to-time we all get a little rust on our firearms. I never really worried too much about it until I had a neighbor who passed away who had asked me to take care of his firearms for his boys until they were old enough to have them. The firearms were in horrible condition and only one of them was really what I would call a "quality" firearm - a Marlin 39A .22 lever action.

Nevertheless, I found myself with the task of restoring a couple shotguns and a rifle. All three had, apparently, been stored in less-than-desirable locations as they were covered with rust. A couple even had some fairly deep pitting.

I called a friend of a friend that I knew restored guns. I wasn't about to pay him $200 to restore a $40 shotgun, but I thought he might give me a couple tips. Indeed he did! I'll pass them along to the members of this site to pay it forward, so to speak.

The "magical" cure for surface rust on guns (and even some rust that has done a little bit of pitting) requires two elements - Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner and a Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner (links below). Please note, I receive no compensation from either of these companies so I'm not pushing them to make money.

The Blue Wonder gun cleaner is a gel-based cleaner which is fairly unique. It also has the ability to remove nasty lead, copper and powder residue deposits without damaging the bluing or other surfaces of the gun.

The Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner is made of a "proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc." It's much easier on the finish of guns than steel wool but still has exceptional cleaning qualities.

To clean rust from the exterior of a gun simply squeeze some of the Blue Wonder gun cleaner onto the Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner and scrub lightly. You should start to see a rusty-looking film form on the weapon. After cleaning an area of the weapon with the Blue Wonder and Big 45 wipe it clean with a soft, lint-free cloth. You should see a remarkable reduction in the rust on that section of the weapon. Clean the weapon in sections keeping the surface "wet" with the Blue Wonder cleaner. Do not allow the cleaner to completely dry before wiping it off with the cloth.

Blue Wonder can also be used inside the barrel of a gun for regular cleanings or for removing stubborn copper, lead or powder residue deposits. Simply apply Blue Wonder to a bronze barrel brush and pass it through your weapon's barrel as you would normally. Do not use a polymer brush. Try to rinse the bronze brush off under cold water as soon as possible after running it down the barrel. I like to let the Blue Wonder sit while I rinse off the bronze brush.

After allowing the Blue Wonder to sit inside the barrel for about 5-7 minutes dip a cleaning cloth in a liquid solvent and run it up and down the barrel a couple times. Switch to a dry cleaning cloth and run it up and down the barrel until it comes out clean.

Blue Wonder: http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunCleaner.html

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner: http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Wow! Good advice! I realy appreciate you putting this up, I have a Stevens "Sportsman's Cleveland" 10 ga. Not an expensive firearm, and I was told by one place it could cost $500 to restore! It needs some agressive tlc, like the treatment you mentioned. My father n law let it sit in a camper that leaked like a sieve for about 2 years. There were mushromms growing on the floor. Well he gave me the gun... but I've been sitting here looking at it daily wonderin what the heck to do with it.

Now I know! Thanks!!!

I second the use of Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner . I have ben using it at my shop for a year now. It has worked every time. For 5 bucks you cant go wrong.

Well this is an old post but I would like to share a method that I tried which works really well.

I have heard that the blue wonder product above is very good and works.

I inherited 3 very rusty shotguns, 2 of which are shown on my intro page.

First I used Birchwood Casey rust and blue remover which work pretty good but requires a good bit of polishing with 0000 steel wool and even sanding to get the rust off.

Navel jelly works as well but takes longer to do its thing. Still had to do polishing with the steel wool afterwards.

Neither of these methods I tried didn't get all the rust off to my satisfaction. I thought that there has to be a better way.

There was! After searching on Google I found electrolysis rust removal an option.
Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=62728

I tried this and it works great! All rust was remove within a few hours. I then cleaned the guns and re-blued with Birchwood Casey gun blue. This allows me to turn an old rusty firearm into a fairly nice shooter.

I wished I had taken before and after photos but I didn't believe the process would work without seeing it with my own eyes. Lol!

To date I have de-rusted 6 guns this way. All guns were common or non collectable. Two double barrel guns were returned to display purposes only as they use black powder shells.

Let me know If anyone wants to try this process and have questions.

Yes, electrolysis works. It's also a bit dangerous (electrical current and fumes) and takes some equipment and space for setup. I've used it in the past for vehicle parts.

And all this time, I simply put some oil on the part and then rubbed 000 xtra fine steel wool in little circles until the rust was gone.

Wish you guys had seen the italian 410 side by side when I got it. :?

I've found a little flitz on a wool dremmel pad to work well too but it's a long tedious thing to do a whole gun that way.

OldMan said:
First I used Birchwood Casey rust and blue remover which work pretty good but requires a good bit of polishing with 0000 steel wool and even sanding to get the rust off.

I'm not a very handy guy (trust me on that) but today I reblued a double-barrel shotgun that my in-law gave me; a 1970 Supreme Ibargun 12 Gauge Model 312 3” Magnum that had a lot of rust. I used the Birchwood Casey Rust and Blue Remover with 0000 steel wool and tooth brush. I rinsed it off with water after each application (I did this twice) and it worked very well.

I then used Birchwood Casey Super Blue Liquid Gun Blue. Pooring some of the liquid into a 1/2 cut styrofoam cup and using a cotton ball as an applicator, I quickly applied the liquid over the entire area that needed to be blued ... I left it on for about 30 seconds. I then wet a paper towel and rinsed the entire barrel and then dried it. After each application, I lightly brushed the barrel with the 0000 steel wool to even the color and surface. I did this a total of 4 times but YMMV ... I was willing to do it 6-8 times until I was satisfied. Make sure you don't get the blue liquid on anything that you don't want stained because it will stain anything it touches.

Also, wear some latex gloves for this entire process.

Anyway, it worked great and I'll probably do my 1971 Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 Gauge that also has some rust on it.

That's the process I used with the Birchwood Casey products. It's good that you got the rust off with a couple of applications. On a few of the guns I refinished I tried the blue and rust remover around six times and some rust still remains. The electrolysis bath I used removed all the rust. A few guns I did were 70%+ covered with rust.

I couldn't tell any difference between the Gun Blue, Super Gun Blue or even the Gun Blue in paste form. They all worked about the same for me. I ended up with applying 6 to 8 applications of Gun Blue before I was satisfied with the results.

It is fun to take an inexpensive rusted gun and refinish it back to a nice shooter.

OldMan said:
It is fun to take an inexpensive rusted gun and refinish it back to a nice shooter.
Very true!! My 80 year old father in-law gave me the gun because he knew I would care about and for it ... it has sentimental value to him. His pro hockey players gave it to him in 1971 as a season ending gift.

I have used the Blue Wonder and #0000 steel wool to great satisfaction. Still use Blue Wonder cleaning the bore and it is nice stuff for touching up shiny spots. Blue Wonder has a nice compliment of cleaning and bluing chemicals and is easy to use. For bluing just need a propane torch or a heat gun to slightly warm the area.

I have read many good reviews on the Blue Wonder product.
I've always wanted to try it out but no one stocks it in my area. I would have to order it so instead I went with the Birchwood Casey product since I can get it locally.

I couldn't wait to get to working on the guns. Lol!

Back