• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Planning: Elk Hunt 2014

When people think of Mossberg, I really doubt elk hunting comes to mind, but I'm hoping y'all can help me as I plan my trip :arrow:

Right now this is still a dream, one that I really hope will come true. I've set a target of November 2014, but depending on how life goes it may end up being 2015. Either way, everyone I talk to says start preparing early. I'm trying to buy equipment now, so that next year when I start booking everything I won't have to worry about having money to get equipment. I'm going to start a checklist in this thread and I hope that you all will have some advice for me on what to get. I'll update it as necessary

A good website I've been using: http://www.elk-hunting.org/

I have:
The rifle, but I still need some advice on the set up - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3356
The Vehicle: http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects ... hread.html

I need:
Binoculars and/or spotting scope - viewtopic.php?f=126&t=3942
Shooting Sticks and/or bipod - I'm used to shooting off hand or leaning against trees, I'm not really sure what the terrain will be like so I have no idea what to do here.
Calls :?:

More pertinent details:
I'm looking at hunting in Montana or Colorado.
I want to do a Self Guided Hunt, partially to save money, but mostly because I want the satisfaction of shooting something I found.

Ranches I've looked at:
http://www.selfguidedhunts.com/martinsdale.html
http://montanaelkhunting.rhynardranchrec.com/
http://www.rockymountainhunting.com/elk_hunting.html

Now, onto what really prompted this thread :arrow:

I love getting things in the mail, and this arrived just in time! I figure I'll have some free time at camp next week in-between turkey hunting and fishing to get in some light reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Elk-Hunting-West- ... 0974495107
2172LCHyFCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been applying here in MI for as long as I can remember them having a drawing.

I'm definitely tagging this thread for future reference.

Yeah, we don't buy elk tags either.

We give the state $10 for a lottery that maybe you will, and more likely that you won't get a tag.

Shame too.

Here's four from just last week

trailcam4202012089.jpg

trailcam4202012082.jpg

Nice Pics!

Ya, PA is the same way. You pay 10$ or whatever it is, there is a drawing, and they give out I think 10 tags a year. I know people that have been entering for 15 years straight, I figure I can use the $150 towards a trip where at the least I'm guaranteed a tag.

If memory serves, Montana is a drawing, but if you pre-book at a ranch it increases your odds. I'm sure I'll be making tons of phone calls next year trying to find all that out, or maybe this book will give me some helpful info on that as well.

Anyone can hunt one here....but it looks like you have a lot closer options
Oregon
$140.50 nonresident license
$500 for the nonresident elk tag
$375.50 for a black tail

I haven’t shot at one in years, nicest one I saw last year was shot with a Mosin. I am getting a nuisance tag this year from a local pear orchard, free hair tag, to put a dent in the food bill plus my dad can only eat no cholesterol meat from now on and elk is on the menu.....time to dust off the -06

Oregon has been considered, and actually Oregon is the reason for me wanting to hunt elk. I was in Oregon March of 2011 to visit my uncle who lives in Coos Bay and to play golf at Bandon Dunes. We drove back to Portland through the Columbia River Gorge and stopped at some elk viewing sites. That's when the thought of shooting one first hit me! At some point I would like to hunt elk in Oregon, but for my first trip I would like to go to a ranch vs hunting public land. This way I know where I'm going, and I'll have a general idea of where to hunt. I also think the chance of success will be a little better for me on a ranch, although they do still call it "hunting" not "getting" or "killing." I may still end up driving out to Oregon on that trip, it will depend on how much time I can get off work. The scenery in Oregon is incredible!

I have ran into a few elk hunters over the years, mainly bowhunters. The general concensus is that if you are going to go, make sure you are in shape for it. You don't want to spend all the money and time to go out there and then it cost you an elk because you were too worn out to make the shot.

So while at camp last week I started reading my book. Here at home I've been reading and google searching and reading and searching the internet some more. So now here I sit wondering about the following. Do I buy preference points for a better chance at getting a Montana tag (you can buy 1 per license year at 50$ a point) or look more at Colorado and Rocky Mountain Ranches (link added to the OP) where I can buy a tag over the counter? Both places in Montana are close to Yellowstone. Part of me wanted to go back to Yellowstone for a few days before heading out on the hunt, but I like the idea of a guaranteed tag and not having to worry about the draw system. It may also be important to note that there will be (unless something changes) 3 of us going on the hunt, so we need three tags.

I will say this much, this is a hard trip to plan. There are a lot of options available, and very complicated regulations that vary from state to state.

Ryan,

I'm new to this site & stumbled on your elk hunting posts. You're 338 will be an elk-thumping gun. I shoot a 300WSM which has been a great gun. Not sure where your plans will lead you, but regardless of how/where you go, I do recommend some reference reading. First, the following link to an e-book that's filled w/ lots of good, practical, useful information for any big game hunter ... http://www.diyhunting.com/htdocs/ebookpurchase.html

Second, any of Jim Zumbo's books are very good & helpful in learning about elk country, habits & hunting strategies. It took me a couple years to figure things out & find a good area.

I did notice that you were looking for binocular recommendations. You don't need to break the bank on this. I have a pair of Nikon Monarchs (8-power) that have been outstanding. It depends on the terrain & situation, but binocular have been far more useful to me than a spotting scope.

Shooting sticks are a good idea since you never know what situation you'll be faced with. I've shot 6 elk in 7 attempts & all but one of them was off-hand (the other was sitting). Now for the real kicker - I don't think any of them have been over 100 yards - but that of course depends on the area you're hunting. The magnums are very versatile across a wide range of distances.

Have Fun!

ShooterDan
Longmont, CO

P.S. If you notice you can't hear anything after shooting your elk, it might have something to do w/ the muzzle brake on your 338!

P.S.S. Everything you've heard about physical fitness & elk hunting is true. If you're up around 9-10,000 ft, you'll find find a surprising lack of oxygen in the air. Heart & lung health & general physical fitness will make a big difference. I've done it both ways ... believe me!

Thanks for all the advise, it looks like I'm headed in the right direction! Where all have you hunted for elk? Could you post some pictures of the ones you got?

Thanks again!

I'm working on reading another book that I just got in the mail a few days back. Seems to be pretty good so far.
51kQxZHkUfL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159228 ... ZBQSXSMC5M

Also, I really need to get out and shoot my rifle. I've decided not to go on my Virginia deer hunt this fall, this will allow me to stay in PA through bear season. I think it will be good to use my rifle in the field and get a better feel for the gun and practice ranging things and adjusting the parallax scope quickly as I've never had that feature before. Hopefully I'll get out shooting sooner than later and get some pics of targets and load data.

Back