• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal Personal Defense w/ FliteControl Wad

catnphx

.270 WIN
Today I went to the range and tested some new loads for their pattern. Last week I tested Federal Premium Vital Shok 12 Gauge 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot and Federal Power Shok 12 Gauge 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot at 10 yards. I liked the Vital Shok best but it still had some errant pellets.

Today was a great day for my 590A1 that sports an 18.5 barrel with Ghost Ring Sights. I have 2 kids so my SG pattern MUST be tight. It must not have any errant pellets from a distance of 10 yards (my longest shot in the house).

Today I tested Federal Premium Personal Defense w/ FliteControl Wad 12 gauge 9 pellet buckshot (PD132 00) - These were 2 3/4 inch 1145 FPS loads and they were AMAZING!!! The recoil was very low (last time it took my shoulder 4 days to heal on some higher velocity loads) and the pattern from 10 yards was 1 inch. I'm going to say that again ... 1 inch pattern at 10 yards!! Of the ten rounds I shot there were NO ERRANT PELLETS. The recoil was low and I could fire successive rounds very quickly ... my shoulder does not hurt either. I got the attention of many around me because of the tight pattern of this load. I had to give one of the boxes (an empty box) to the guy next to me that had a Mossy 500 so that he could get some from Sportsman Warehouse too.

Folks, these are the holy grail of home defense loads. Thanks Rossignol for turning me on to these with your pattern tests. My pattern testing is over now that I know what these loads do. I can now use my 590A1 for HD now that I have reliable loads that I can trust.

4670680649_141dd7fdc0.jpg

I knew you'd dig these, your conclusions mirror my own!

Pretty sweet with far less recovery time between shoots.

catnphx said:
Folks, these are the holy grail of home defense loads.

I think I had said the same thing!!! :lol: It really is an amazing load, but as NiteSite pointed out, with the FliteControl it is now a precision load. As a home owner, thats comforting though. Just as you mentioned, I dont want to worry about stray pellets either. If ever I have to use a firearm to defend my family, I plan to use the assailant to stop the pellets. And while the "pattern" is super tight and looks more like something you'd expect to see from a slug, the 00 is still my choice over the slug here.

Good write up man! Thank you!

I'm glad that you were led towards the bright light. Rossignol has done a commendable job in doing the testing and spreading the word. He's sure put forth a huge effort for the benefit of us all, that's for sure! My "thanks" go out to Rossignol.

Me, I like slugs, but my second favorite SD/LE load is the low recoil FliteControl 00 Buck load from Federal.

nitesite said:
Me, I like slugs.

Thats what I'm talking about.

With ammo prices going up again and not being stocked up on LE rounds I am considering Vang comp or Aimpro work and cheap 00 but need to research it more. That way no matter how high ammo goes the gun will shoot tight groups

NiteSite, I appreciate it, but man I'm just building on the shoulders of others who through their own testing and reviews have led me (or encouraged me) to want to do the same. Thank you!!!

NiteSite and Oli, I understand what youre saying on the slugs, but the slugs also retain more density after impact which is why in the house, I'd prefer the 00.

hmmm, gonna have to look into this thing with prices goin back up...

Hmmm... This youtube video makes me question my "No Ghostrings" position... A red dot may be in order. Check the 50 yard pattern [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHIrUYRiBk[/youtube]

Nice work Blue! Dang I have yet to get my crappy 50 yard video posted. I saw the same sorta difference between the Win. load and Fed. FC load. I didnt even try the Winchester @ 50 yards. I couldnt find all the pellets at 25 yards, so I wasnt gonna look for em at 50. The Fed with FC though, I counted every pellet I think in about 14" x 14".

I signed up to your channel too!

Rossignol said:
Nice work Blue!

I signed up to your channel too!

Oh man... Sorry for any confusion. That's not my work. I could barely work my old 35 m.m. Pentax K1000 SLR let alone shoot and upload something like that! It's just something I found.

Mudinyeri said:
Not sure what people are paying for this load, but Midwest Hunter's Outlet (http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com) has it for $5.59/5 + $7.99 shipping (with the ammo surcharge)!

Order placed!
I could not find the Federal Premium Personal Defense w/ FliteControl Wad in 12 gauge 2 3/4" at Midwest Hunters Outlet. I did buy 10 boxes of this load at Midway USA for $6.29 per box with a shipping for 10 boxes of $13.40. That equated to $76.30 for 10 boxes or $7.63 per box.

catnphx said:
Mudinyeri said:
Not sure what people are paying for this load, but Midwest Hunter's Outlet (http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com) has it for $5.59/5 + $7.99 shipping (with the ammo surcharge)!

Order placed!
I could not find the Federal Premium Personal Defense w/ FliteControl Wad in 12 gauge 2 3/4" at Midwest Hunters Outlet. I did buy 10 boxes of this load at Midway USA for $6.29 per box with a shipping for 10 boxes of $13.40. That equated to $76.30 for 10 boxes or $7.63 per box.

Here's the direct link: http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/ite ... DyOLrQE%3D

I found it through Google Shopping. My total for 10 boxes and shipping was $63.89.

Problem solved ... just ordered another 10 boxes plus 2 boxes of some 9mm ammo (Gold Dot 124gr +P) for my M&P 9c that I can't find at my local ammo stores. You can never have enough ammo, especially when a good deal presents itself. :D

I shoot very little during the hot summer months in Phoenix (mid June - mid Oct) so I usually use that period to start stocking up on ammo when great deals arise.

I just found a new, lower-priced provider of the Federal LE132 (and LE127 if you want the full power load) - Kyle's Gun Shop. Kyle's a sponsoring vendor on another forum I visit regularly. I was trying to find the new Federal Flitecontrol #1 Buck and his store came up in a search.

$37.99 + shipping for 50 rounds! It's currently unavailable, but I've e-mailed him to see when he will get it back in stock again.

Direct Link: http://www.kylesgunshop.com/viewstoreit ... Gauge_50_R

catnphx said:
You can never have enough ammo, especially when a good deal presents itself. :D

truth be told here....my wife was asking me just the other day when i told her i needed to get some more shotgun shells." why do you need to get more?"

now i have my answer for her.....thanx.

My choice for HD...

I loaded up ( :mrgreen: ) on this stuff awhile back...( 200 rounds )

Federal® Power-Shok Low Recoil Buckshot

FederalpowershokLRBockshot.jpg

Stock #...Gauge... Length.....Velocity... Shot count....Shot Size
99817...... 12......... 2 3/4".....1,140fps.....9 Pellets....... 00 Buck

Sportsmans Guide...price was less than $5.00 for a box of 5 rounds ( I'm a Buyers Club Member )

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/f ... x?a=537186

Nice find SHOOTER! I love Sportsmans Guide! I'm not a member though...

Back