• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Nobelsport & Centurion .650 range report

BenSamp

.270 WIN
Just a followup on the .650 round ball ammo, I took out the 590A1 on her maiden trip to the range today. I took half of the day off with the temp at 65* in the middle of winter in Maryland, this time two years ago on this date there was 3 feet of snow on the ground :eek: . The ammo did'nt shoot well from either gun leading me to think that the ammo was at fault. I ran some Winchester slugs thru both my 930 and my new baby for a baseline to compare by and to confirm that the guns where not the problem, the shot groupings from the ball ammo best summed up is for plinking only. For HD/SD use something else, this ammo packs one hell of a impact when it hits and keeps on going.

The accuracy out to 25 yrds is fair at best, very inconsistant shot groups, on some shots the wadding stayed attached to the round. The 930 had better groupings than the 590A1, and seemed to recoil harder than the 590A1. The Centurion shot better and had better grouping than the Nobelsport, looking at the two rounds they seem to have been separted at birth, both have the translucient casing, wadding, and crimping. At one full oz. and 1400fps this round will get tour attention when you pull the trigger it seemed to kick harder then the 1600fps Winchesters and penetrate deeper. At 69.99 for a full case of 250 and 15.99 for 50 this is ideal ammo for plinking and hording for SHTF. The grouping on the right are from the Nobelsport and the left are from the centurions. The top five on both targets came from the 590A1 and the lower shots are from the 930.
6803532101_c265d817cf_z.jpg
6649966041_2c66a63585_z.jpg
6649966047_8fdf19eb36_z.jpg
6649966037_c7c26a814d_z.jpg

Well that sucks, still probably fun to shoot though. I see people getting good groups with 69 cal hand loads but I can’t recall anyone using 65 cal…..Oh well nice report anyway thank you

Good review, thanks for taking the time to ge pics and do the write up!!!

I'd be happy to add a link to this in the evaluation and review sticky at the top of this section!

Nicely done! ;)

Excellent review and pictures Ben !!

I look forward to more ammo reviews from you in the future...

+1 rep :cool:

Thanks, Ben, for taking so much time (and time off) to review this ammo.

Your results didn't come as a big shock to me, as I think the .650" size was a little goofy.

But it's certainly worth putting some in the ammo locker for general close-range plinking.

I will be ordering 50 rounds of Monolit 28 1oz. 2 3/4 slug from SGammo for 3.49 for a box of 5, 149.50 for a case of 250 and do a report next weekend.

Back