• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

*Video Review* Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
100_6382Small.jpg

100_6384Small.jpg

100_6385Small.jpg

I recently was able to pattern the Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" 12 ga 00 buck, 1600 fps.

I used two guns, Mossberg 590A1 20" with Vang Comp System and Mossberg 500A Persuader 20". Both are 20" smoothebore guns, the difference being the VCS. I patterned the loads at 5, 10, and 15 yards.

The Hornady load features the VersaTite wad, of which I recovered several and they are identical to Federal's FliteControl wad.

I really liked the load, To me, recoil was managable and patterns were acceptable. I have video I'll put together just as soon as I'm able.

EDIT:

Video is up! A litlle slow at the end as I'm comparing patterns and a litlle comentary between the two guns. I think you'll be surprised with my findings, I was!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DEi3aqAsig[/youtube]

Re: Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck

Sounds good. Where did you find 'em and how pricey were they? Take care. Tom Worthington.

This

Thread

IS

FULL

OF

WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I'm so appreciative that you found and bought and reviewed this ammo.

If you say 1600-fps and good groups can come from this I am HUGELY impressed and wanting some. No, not some. A LOT!

I actually found these at my LGS for $12.95 a box!

Not inexpensive ammunition, but ... I cant help myself, I like shooting and patterning everything I can get my hands on! I also have several boxes of the Hornady Light Magnum LE 00 buck too, but didnt pattern them as much as I wanted to video putting a magazine full of the stuff on target!!! FUN! :D

I bet these Critical Defense can be found for less by doin some savvy shopping online... if it weighs out with shipping it could be worth doin it that way.

NiteSite, the patterns at those ranges were alright. I believe my largest pattern was 5 to 6" at 15 yards from either of the two test guns. It isnt a precise load the way Federal LE13200 can be, but at closer ranges some spread in pattern is desirable. So even at 15 yards, a pattern of 6" is every pellet on target. Thats what I look for when I'm testing ammo. Strays or fliers at that range is unacceptable in my opinion. I compared these too some Winchester Super X Magnum 12 pellet 00 buck, and I couldnt even find all the pellets. There was no discernable pattern on my psycho clown target and I'm a darn good shot with my shotguns and prefer more precise loads.

Some say you cant miss with a shotgun, its a "scatter gun" the stuff is supposed to go everywhere, right? I disagree and you'll all see why when I can get the video or pics up here. Or for that matter check out the other links in the ammo review thread and compare the different types of loads.

I have video uploading for this now. My computer is being especially slow tonight and I wasnt able to cut the video the way I wanted.

We'll see how it goes and if need be I can re-edit it later. Either way, it will be up tonight, probably in the next hour!!! ;)

Video is up and I added it to the OP!!! Thanks for takin the time to check it out!

So the versa tight wad is the same as the flight control right ? As you know VCS did nothing for my patterning of the FC loads. I have heard this about the VCS jug choking and it held true for me…I have also heard that it will hurt pattern when using that giant heavy FC wad….seems like the stock 20” is patterning it a little better for you. VCS improved all the other ammo I have shot and I will take that any day over one load shooting good but that’s just my preference.

Glad it was helpful to you Tom! I do this stuff as often as I'm able! ;)

Oli, yep theyre the same! I've witnessed the same thing you mention... and it has helped patterns of other loads, just not so much with FC or now the VersaTite. Even so, these patterns are within my personal acceptable tolerances.

The one load it seems not to have helped is Winchester Super X. Now in that other video I posted, you could see how those Hornady TAP LE Light Magnums did atten yards. That was pleasantly surprising to me!

But your right about the stock 20" barrel actually patterning better.

Does this mean I would trade in my VCS barrel? No Way!!! Have you seen how it handles? :D

Great video review bro...thanks for posting it up !!

What's next on the agenda for testing...?

Thanks shooter! I have the other video up with 10 yard patterns of the Light Magnums...

Too bad it was every shot in one place! :D

But for whats next? I have some less lethal, and some slugs I wanna get to at some point. Maybe some Remington 00 too.

Just recently joined this forum...you guys are awesome! I have been on various other forums (boating, medical, other gun sites, etc) and half of the threads are petty bickering...haven't come across any of that here.
Thanks for posting the video and review. I am new to shotguns and am looking for both something good to keep load for HD and something good for the range. I'm sure that if I have trouble finding something that it will NOT be for a lack of available info form this site.

Thank you HD! Everyone here who strives to make it like this will appreciate the compliment!!!

I also really appreciate you taking the time towatch the video!

Glad youre diggin the site and finding it helpful!

I had to go into town today so of course I went to the gun store.

They had one box of the Critical Defense left. I bought it... and asked em to buy more! :D I like the load and its available without having to order it and pay shipping! Thats a big plus in my book! ;)

Back