• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hornady 12 GA Slug 300 gr FTX

raven01750

.270 WIN
Shotgun: Mossberg 930 SPX w PG
Barrel - Mossberg P/N 93030 24" Fully Rifled Bore w Integrated Scope Base (isb)
Scope: Nikon 1.65-5 X 36mm - http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Product ... oplex.html
Ammuntion: Hornady 12 GA Slug 300 gr FTX - http://www.hornady.com/store/12-ga-Slug-300-gr-FTX/

This year I am hunting Deer with the Hornady FTX 300 grain Sabot slug. The link to the Hornady website shows the ballistics data published by the company and is pretty solid. One on-line retailer usually has them in stock for about $2.00 a shell + S&H and is packaged in packs of 5 shells per box. But I see them posted all the time at around $12.00 a box which is more than I like to pay and frankly is too much anyway.

I spent a lot of time and money on these shells this last year due to issues that I wasn't completely aware of when I started. I was surpised and a bit sceptical at first when I shook the shells and they rattled inside the casing. Thinking WOW, the bullet is already unstable. But the biggest thing and the one that cost me the most money is the barrel heating up after shooting it a few times and throwing the point of impact WAYYYY off and is something that I think everyone should consider when they are sighting in their own weapons. When we are actually out hunting, we're never just shooting a bunch of shells through our guns for obvious reason. There isn't going to be any game around with shotguns blasting away! So that means you are patiently waiting in your stand or stalking or whichever method you use and our guns are cold, the barrels cold, we're cold and the ammunition is cold. You get the point. Keeping that thought in mind when sighting in is critical. 2-3" high at 50 yards is what you want out of this round. That means with your crosshairs on the bullseye, the slug should actually hit between 2 and 3" above the bullseye at 50-100 yards.

Now, this next statement, which is obvious when you think about it gets it's own paragraph. "I have found that the first shot that comes out at the range is going to exhibit the same ballistics characteristics you can most likely anticipate in the field when hunting."

I found this out with my barrel after a lot of money spent (2 bucks a shell out of a semi auto shotgun will burn some money up fast!). I can get two shots in a nice tight group and the third shot before the barrel is allowed to cool will drop 6" and the fourth shot will completely drop off the paper. Imagine how much adjusting of the scope was done before I discovered that little tidbit of information??? And every barrel is of course going to have it's own unique tendancies in how it shoots. This is just how my particular barrel reacts. Your barrel will have it's own quirks. Or not.

So anyway, the Factory Hornady FTX ammo ballistics data was I believe taken using a 30" barrel at Hornady. And I'm sure it was a quality barrel. The Mossberg Slug Barrel is 24" in comparison and won't achieve the exact same ballistics that a 30" barrel would. But you want to know what is really nice? Hornady printed the same ballistics data on the box that is on their website so you can remind yourself on what to expect when firing this round. Try finding that on a Remington box etc. But even though I haven't fired my 930 through a Chrono, I'm fairly certain that the ballistic data is still accurate.

The rise and fall of this slug is majorly different in comparison to say a 30-06 and is something that must be taken into consideration. And don't forget the amount of energy that the shell is carrying too. As a side note, my research indicates that you should have at a minimum, 800 ft/lbs of energy in your bullet to be effective on game such as Deer. That's on any round. And that means that the Hornady FTX has the energy to drop a killing blow at 200 yards easily. But knowing you have around 2000 ft/lbs of energy at 50 yards is something that must be considered. Because if you hit a deer at that range using that kind of energy, the shell is going to pass right through unless you hit a lot of bone. And depending on the adrenalin the deer is experiencing, you could have a good shot and watch the deer run away like it was never touched. You always have to do your follow up and make sure to the best of your ability that the animal wasn't critically injured and just ran away before it knew it was dead already. I took a deer last year at around 135 yards through the lungs and all it left was a piece of lung on the ground before the deer ran 30 yards and dropped.

So, lets talk accuracy of the FTX Sabot. I have had groupings touching each other at two hundred yards with a rest. Yes, it dropped 6" from the point of aim, but since I know it's going to do that anyway, the bullets are hitting exactly where I would expect. I can't ask for more than that from any ammo. So, to sum this all up, the Hornady FTX Sabot through the Mossberg Slug barrel is a deadly combination that any hunter should be able to use to their advantage and has my endorsement. Have a great day everyone.

Paul

Re: Ammunition Performance Reviews

Paul, Thank you for the report and evaluation!

Its very well written and you back up your opinions nicely! This sort of review is always appreciated Paul!

I'm goin to give this its own thread and will then make another section for rifled slugs (which we dont have yet in th OP. I'll link the new thread there!

Re: Re: Ammunition Performance Reviews

Thanks guys. A lot of time went into this and I learned a lot from it. Once you understand some of the details of what you are trying to accomplish and then see them applied effectively it's a real thrill.

Hornady is a great company that post a lot of information about their ammunition you just won't find with the other manufacturers. But the thing I hope people take to heart the most along with the ammunition review is that your equipment can have a real major impact on what you are trying to do which is "put rounds on target."

Take your time when doing the initial sighting in and then when something unexplained happens, hopefully you won't be surprised and are able to make the right adjustments because we have all heard about an individual gun will shoot this ammo well and not that ammo. There are real reasons why this is.

My barrel most likely has an imperfection in wall thickness. Causing the barrel to actually bend when it heats up because the part of the barrel wall that is slightly thicker will expand at a different rate than the rest of the barrel. Or, another possibility is how the gas port tube is welded to the bottom of the barrel causing a difference in the expansion/contraction of the metal. I accept it. But then I had to try and reproduce it to truely understand what was going on. If we all do this, you will bring home game every time. Have a great day.

Paul

Awesome evil. Any info like this on the SST's?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Are you talking about the new Hornady SST light ammo? If so, the Hornady web site says that they are using the 300 gr FTX bullets which is the same. It just has less powder behind it. Although it would still have the energy for deer at 200 yards, it's going to drop another 4+ inches to get there and just barely be suiteable to get the job done at range. But I found that when you are shooting at live game, it could be an elephant gun and you wouldn't notice the kick until the adrenaline wore off! :lol: Honestly, I wasn't quite sure why Hornady even came out with this ammo line. It's not an improvement over the SST's. And even the supposedly "new"300 gr MonoFlex FTX bullets have less velocity and energy plus they cost about 20% more. Just marketing I guess.

Paul

Thanks for the info. So far the readily available, in my area, SST's are dead on for what I'm looking for using for hunting. I don't really have any longer than 50-75 yards max shots where I go.

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

Back