• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wal Mart stopping it's ammunition orders?

That's not enough hard information for me. Until I see a press release or this covered on a major news channel it is second hand knowledge or a rumor (as it has been many times in the past). Walmart will experience some of the same buying woes as others - they are just farther up the feeding chain with more buying power than most.

NOW do I think that the US Government might be trying to contribute to an ammo shortage by buying massive quantities—maybe or maybe that's just my wag-the-dog thinking.

Walmart is a business. They make a fortune selling ammo. Why would they stop???

Mingaa,

I had posted in "Something Going On?" about this same thing earlier. It is in fact true and I talked with my local Walmarts Head Manager about it today once I found out. This is most certainly true and what Tom has shared with us seems to be the corporate response that is too be given to any curious customer.... I will have to find a LGS that has half decent prices and doesn't over glorify himself (be an ass) to his customers in my area and buy from them now.

It is bad that Walmart has fallen to this since they were suppose to offer "incentives" for gun buyers to buy new from them so it is on record versus buying private. They will most likely not immediately feel the impact, due to their size and nature of business, but their Sporting Goods Department will feel it once they begin to restock if ever.

OhioArcher, that is the one I read!! My Walmart for the longest time NEVER ran out of 00 Buck or Slugs and they have been our for about 2 weeks now and this is why... Glad to finally know the reason but not glad at all for the reason!

I expressed my Disapproval with the Manager at our Walmart (he is an old friends father so it didn't fall on completely deaf ears). I told him that since he is in a position of power with his store that he needs to advise corporate of the extreme mistake they are making and need to stand behind the American Freedoms... He replied expressing a look of sadness with "I already have..."

The loss of business will not hurt walmart however, because they are so huge and sell so much other stuff. I am sure firearms and ammunition is only 5% or less of their sales

care-o-meter.gif

walmart could grow shut and hair over for all I care

Pretty sure they are just holding off until the mess of it all dies down. They don't want to be holding the bag on a bunch of over priced ammunition I'm sure.

Give them nothing, but take from them everything...

Maybe... but highly unlikely... There move none the less shows absolutely no support for our rights or for the Firearms Industry..... This may have been a larger mistake then having a bunch of ammo in their possession they cannot sell

CNS, blogs and store managers are still not strong enough support material in my opinion. I'm not personally hoping for Walmart ammo. I have sources for what I do not reload. I just don't see strong enough first hand information to support a national policy change. All sources are most likely well meaning but they are NOT the voice of a CEO or Board. It's a blip and it may still turn south but if it were a major long-term position shift there WOULD be condiderable hard information released.

They're not holding back for fear of not being able to sell their stock.

They're holding back to see if any new legislation will effect prices and more importantly, their taxes. If ammo taxes are raised they'll be left holding the bag and will have to pay the difference on their existing store inventory. With a company the size of Wally World, their tax liability on ammo is huge and any variation in rates could cost them millions. If they wait and can account for the tax increase before shipping ammo out to stores then they can adjust prices and pass the tax increase on to us...

oli700 said:
care-o-meter.gif

walmart could grow shut and hair over for all I care

Braggard. ;) Some of us don't reload...yet. But hey, if WalMart really isn't placing new orders, maybe the LGS will be able to get some of their stuff back on their shelves? Take care. Tom Worthington.

Yes LES, it it a calculated business 'pause' to watch the current climate that MAY resolve shortly. They will then respond with a renewed business approach that is good for the company, investors aaaaaaaand - perhaps even the buying public!

tom, even before I reloaded on a regular basis....I never even knew walmart sold ammo. Bulk online, the only way to go. LGS not so good here, big box sporting goods....little better.

...also, don't overlook the fact that this comes on the heels of the corporation's meeting with the Vice President.

Think there might be some political favors being exchanged what with WalMart's corrupt business practices allegations and wage-theft policies being investigated by the governments of Brazil, China, and India?

I'm actually hearing conflicting reports about this now.

some say halting future orders, others saying full steam ahead.

I'm not sure about this one just yet.

oli700 said:
tom, even before I reloaded on a regular basis....I never even knew walmart sold ammo. Bulk online, the only way to go. LGS not so good here, big box sporting goods....little better.

That appears to be going the way of high capacity magazines...

Back